NASA predicts we will find ET within 20 years from now

Statistikhengst

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2013
deep within the statistical brain!!
NASA predicts finding evidence of extraterrestrial life within 20 years - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

NASA scientists predict they are within 20 years of finding the evidence proving we are not alone in the universe.

Dr Sara Seager and Matt Mountain were two of the distinguished scientists, former astronauts and engineers brought together by NASA.

They say scientific advances in rocket technology and space telescopes will soon make it possible to scan the heavens for the tell-tale signs of life on a planet not unlike our own, their so-called Earth 2.0.

"We believe we're very, very close in terms of technology and science and actually finding the other Earth and our chance to find signs of life on another world," Dr Seager said.

Their message to the world: "Our understanding of the universe around us is on the verge of being dramatically changed forever."

Dr Mountain is from the Space Telescope Science Institute which is collaborating with NASA to launch the most powerful device yet to explore the universe - the James Webb Space Telescope, due to be launched in 2018.

But NASA believes that within the next two decades it will have the capability to peer into deep space for signatures of life.

:thup:

They predicted we would find ET 20 years ago. They also said we would be traveling in flying in battery powered flying cars as you predicted Matt. How is that working out for you?

NASA predicts finding evidence of extraterrestrial life within 20 years - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

NASA scientists predict they are within 20 years of finding the evidence proving we are not alone in the universe.

Dr Sara Seager and Matt Mountain were two of the distinguished scientists, former astronauts and engineers brought together by NASA.

They say scientific advances in rocket technology and space telescopes will soon make it possible to scan the heavens for the tell-tale signs of life on a planet not unlike our own, their so-called Earth 2.0.

"We believe we're very, very close in terms of technology and science and actually finding the other Earth and our chance to find signs of life on another world," Dr Seager said.

Their message to the world: "Our understanding of the universe around us is on the verge of being dramatically changed forever."

Dr Mountain is from the Space Telescope Science Institute which is collaborating with NASA to launch the most powerful device yet to explore the universe - the James Webb Space Telescope, due to be launched in 2018.

But NASA believes that within the next two decades it will have the capability to peer into deep space for signatures of life.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't the scientists at NASA that wrote that article. Those of us who know and love science know that there is a significant difference in the wording of it.

I have no doubt that within 20 years, probably less, we will find evidence of extraterrestrial life. Single celled animals ARE extraterrestrial life. What I highly doubt that we will EVER find is evidence of extraterrestrial sentient life.

If this planet truly is "Earth II", and I have my doubts, then we probably will find life. What we will not find, are beings capable of communicating with us.

flying-car.jpg

the flying car!

Last edited:
All we have to do to find solid evidence of life on a planet around another sun is to find oxygen in the atmosphere of planet in the 'Goldilocks' zone of another star. That can be done with a spectroscopic analysis of the planets atmosphere as it transits its sun. We are very close to the point of being able to do that with the equipment we have at present. To do that in the next two decades is hardly a far out prediction.

All we have to do to find solid evidence of life on a planet around another sun is to find oxygen in the atmosphere of planet in the 'Goldilocks' zone of another star. That can be done with a spectroscopic analysis of the planets atmosphere as it transits its sun. We are very close to the point of being able to do that with the equipment we have at present. To do that in the next two decades is hardly a far out prediction.

Agreed.

I am just curious. Why are you looking for Oxygen?

The Earth did not have an atmosphere with free oxygen in it until life, blue-green algea, created that oxygen. Oxygen is a very active element and will combine with something else unless it is continually replenished. And only living matter does that.

Here is an article from the Sciientific American that explains the origin of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere;

The Origin of Oxygen in Earth's Atmosphere - Scientific American

That is a very good article. I wonder if water came before life or life before water. If water came before life then where did the Oxygen come from for Hydrogen to oxidize and form water?

Maybe if we can keep funding our science institutions. Fight to elect Moderates that believe in this country!

The Democrats are so tied to their doctrine of keeping people so dependent
on social programs in return for votes that we just don't have the funds necessary for
science and research.

If you want to lead the charge to cut waste and fraud in welfare,medicaid and food stamps so we can go find ET... I am with you. :eusa_clap:

The Earth did not have an atmosphere with free oxygen in it until life, blue-green algea, created that oxygen. Oxygen is a very active element and will combine with something else unless it is continually replenished. And only living matter does that.

I came across a paper published by Amit Mishra and his team at University of Washington. This paper details a new technique which uses absorption strength of oxygen dimer of an exoplanet when its star is reflecting against it to calculate its atmospheric pressure. The goal I think is to detect an exoplanet with Earth like atmospheric pressure. They are using oxygen dimer because it responds considerably to change in pressure and temperature.

I do not think all life forms in this universe are dependent on oxygen. I think it is quite possible to find life which is quite evolved and yet does not need oxygen to survive. Even on our own planet, we have anaerobic bacteria that do not need oxygen to survive; actually some of them die when you expose them to oxygen.

http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/pdf/10.1089/ast.2013.0990

O2 is a horribly corrosive gas. Decent aliens avoid it like it was manmade CO2 on Earth

Maybe if we can keep funding our science institutions. Fight to elect Moderates that believe in this country!

The Democrats are so tied to their doctrine of keeping people so dependent
on social programs in return for votes that we just don't have the funds necessary for
science and research.

If you want to lead the charge to cut waste and fraud in welfare,medicaid and food stamps so we can go find ET... I am with you. :eusa_clap:

You cannot even spare Science & Technology forum from your crap. Seriously, what is wrong with you? We are discussing possibility of life on exoplanets. We are not interested in Republicans vs Democrats mud wrestling.

Thank you for this most enlightening posting and reminder. It makes great sense from the standpoint that how dare people of this world think we are the only inhabitants in the universe. We can't be. That simply is false and self-aggrandized thinking. If it were not for ignorant people trying to constantly Cover-Up the news when sightings of craft are seen that is not mundane we would be far ahead of the game at this point. There is other intelligent life out there and it has been discussed time and again by pilots who saw them while flying their planes and that some beings are already here in certain areas of this world. Therefore, it is just a matter of time before this whole issue is fully exposed and the world finds out that we were truly never alone.

But that's contrary to your theory of evolution which states that the only condition necessary for life is to have molecules bump into each other

Forum List

Back