NAS Jax: Driver dead after attempting to breach security gate

Big news here this morning.

They don't fuck around much at NAS Jax.

I was going to go to the commissary today. Maybe I'll go tomorrow...

MPs deployed barrier and the driver was killed in resulting crash.

Driver fleeing hit & run crash dies after attempting to ram Birmingham Gate at NAS Jacksonville

It seems Mr. Dead Guy was fleeing a hit & run accident someplace else.
That is weird. It does not look that far from the highway to that gate. If trying to get off the highway onto the NAS base, he must have been accelerating like hell to get up enough speed to crash and kill himself. Not being main gate, is it safe to assume this is a vehicle gate normally not open during off peak duty hours?

That is weird. It does not look that far from the highway to that gate. If trying to get off the highway onto the NAS base, he must have been accelerating like hell to get up enough speed to crash and kill himself. Not being main gate, is it safe to assume this is a vehicle gate normally not open during off peak duty hours?
The vid in the link sorta fleshes it out.

The Birmingham Gate is normally open on weekdays, 5:00am until 5:30pm. It's closed on weekends. It's the gate I use when I go to the Navy Exchange or the commissary.

The traffic nightmare this has created is ridiculous. The gate is about two miles from the beltway (I-295) on Roosevelt Blvd., which is the only artery to the base, from both the north and the south. All three gates are open to traffic in the mornings to facilitate people going to work. There are over 21,000 people who work on the base, so shutting down a third of the access to the base has some substantial negative impact.

Traffic was backed up to the middle of the Buckman Bridge, which is almost five miles from the Birmingham Gate. And, as you might imagine, traffic was moving at a crawl...

The Birmingham Gate is normally open on weekdays, 5:00am until 5:30pm. It's closed on weekends. It's the gate I use when I go to the Navy Exchange or the commissary.

The traffic nightmare this has created is ridiculous. The gate is about two miles from the beltway (I-295) on Roosevelt Blvd., which is the only artery to the base, from both the north and the south. All three gates are open to traffic in the mornings to facilitate people going to work. There are over 21,000 people who work on the base, so shutting down a third of the access to the base has some substantial negative impact.

Traffic was backed up to the middle of the Buckman Bridge, which is almost five miles from the Birmingham Gate. And, as you might imagine, traffic was moving at a crawl...
Wow. So they saw him coming and raised the barricades. Good job MPs or SPs or whatever you call them in Navy speak.

Shore Patrol is what the ones chasing me were called.....
Yeah, that going 27 in a 25 mile zone is hell, and they indeed make a Federal Case out of it. Mine were MPs as that is how and where I rolled.

Yeah, that going 27 in a 25 mile zone is hell, and they indeed make a Federal Case out of it. Mine were MPs as that is how and where I rolled.
Yeah, well I was overseas and Shore Patrol seemed a little upset about a little altercation in a Naples bar caused by overindulgence of oozo.....

Yeah, well I was overseas and Shore Patrol seemed a little upset about a little altercation in a Naples bar caused by overindulgence of oozo.....
Stuff happens.

Forum List

Back