My problem with the NFL re: National Anthem

Per the NFL rulebook:

1. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country.
Why do you not respect the flag or our country. Our country is the people. There are other ways to show your discontent with the President. People take not standing up for the flag as an insult on the United States as a unit. It makes people feel that you don't want to be here or don't like the unit as a whole (not just the administration) - and there are a lot of people that worked hard to build the US that are still alive today. There are a lot of people young and old that have risked their lives for the United States.

"Per the NFL rulebook [sic]:"

Pretty sure the US Constitution "trumps" the NFL rule book, as well as trump's all right, kkk racism.

Yep. There are quite a few who are making it pretty obvious that they're not terribly fond of this country. They hate its history and traditions, say the anthem is racist, the Constitution was written by rich white slave rapists, the country is racist, the country is greedy, we must fundamentally change the country, on and on and on.

And it's all the same people.

Hey, Mac, tell us about how you are liberal and voted for Hillary again. That shit never gets old.

I'm terribly fond of my country, and I have the DD214 and a box of medals to prove it. I also think we have a lot of problems with racism, with homophobia, with wealth inequality, and we really ought to do something about it.

Just because you love something doesn't mean you ignore its flaws. Like a few years ago, my family got on me because of my weight. They didn't do it to be mean, they did it because they cared about me and were concerned about my health.

Per the NFL rulebook:

1. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country.
Why do you not respect the flag or our country. Our country is the people. There are other ways to show your discontent with the President. People take not standing up for the flag as an insult on the United States as a unit. It makes people feel that you don't want to be here or don't like the unit as a whole (not just the administration) - and there are a lot of people that worked hard to build the US that are still alive today. There are a lot of people young and old that have risked their lives for the United States.
QUESTION for the board
When you're home sitting on the couch or in a bar hoisting a tall one while watching an NFL game do you stand when they play the national anthem??

Per the NFL rulebook:

Pretty sure the US Constitution "trumps" the NFL rule book, as well as trump's all right, kkk racism.
. The Constitution respects private institutions, and their ability to create rules and guidelines for those employed by and operating on the property of those private institutions. The NFL because it is overwhelmingly race lopsided, it is fearful of enforcing the rules due to the situation.

Which one resisted and fought with the police? You CANNOT fight with the police and resist arrest.

Well, let's look at that.

Protests as Louisiana police shoot and kill black man selling CDs on Baton Rouge street

Abdullah Muflahi, who owns the shop, said Blane Salamoni, a four-year member of the department, and Howie Lake, who has been on the force for three years, were “really aggressive with him [Mr Sterling] from the start.”

Mr Muflahi said one officer used a stun gun on Sterling.

He said the other officer then tackled Sterling, slamming him to the ground. Seconds later, he said one of the officers shot Sterling four to six times. An autopsy showed Sterling died of multiple gunshot wounds to his back and chest.

The shop owner said that he witnessed police retrieving a gun from Sterling's pocket after the shooting, though Sterling did not hold a weapon during the altercation.

Mr Muflahi said the officers were "freaking out" after the incident, and heard one of the officers say: "Just leave him."

Not to mention that resisting or mouthing off are hardly capital punishment crimes. Nor is it acceptable for police to mete out sentences.

Defending police in these crimes is indefensible, especially since their usual punishment is a paid vacation.

Your problem with the NFL re: the National Anthem is exactly the same as every dumbass rube's problem. You don't understand what the protest is about and you don't understand what the flag represents.

Saying "there are other ways to protest" is really stupid and fails to recognize the importanct role that protests play in our society.

Many people find protesting during the National Anthem "offensive". Now, that is a term you liberals understand. If it's offensive, then the other side must be heard according to your rules. Equal to protest, support also plays a role in our societ such as wearing 9-11 cleats or black patches in support of fallen officers yet both of those were shot down because they were deemed offensive.
. The left got in control of this nation over time, and they have created a fear amongst huge institutions, businesses, workers, conservatives etc. otherwise to even think to challenge the left on anything it does. This is why Trump has been attacked so vehemently after being elected to office of this United States. The left new that what was to come along with him was the freight train of voters who backed Trump to stop the left in this country, and to stop them in their tracks. The appointment of the new supreme Court judge was huge, and we see how that was fought. They will try to stop Trump at all cost it appears, but hopefully they won't be successful. To much has gone on, and it has to be fixed now.

The traditional fear is that the Left is going to brand you racist or intolerant. The reality is that they have done this incessantly to the point where the term is watered down. They keep threatening Trump with impeachment. I would like to see them bring it on. They think they are dealing with a President and electorate that gives a shit what they think.

Per the NFL rulebook:

. The Constitution respects private institutions, and their ability to create rules and guidelines for those employed by and operating on the property of those private institutions. The NFL because it is overwhelmingly race lopsided, it is fearful of enforcing the rules due to the situation.

Constitution trumps NFL but really, my biggest complaint is the president is not doing what he swore to do - protect the US Constitution.

He's whining like a spoiled toddler for only one reason - he was snubbed by the NFL.

Per the NFL rulebook:

QUESTION for the board
When you're home sitting on the couch or in a bar hoisting a tall one while watching an NFL game do you stand when they play the national anthem??
What does it matter ? In the privacy of one's home people do what they want to do, but when in public people usually want to show unity and respect for their country. The world is watching, and lately we look like a bunch of idiots in this country for allowing a false narrative to be built up on the Michael Bown incident in order to spark a racial divide that has since morphed into a full blown bunch of bullcrap ever since. It tells the world that we have gotten out of control of our justice system in this country, and that fake news stories, narratives, and lies drive the media machine in which is undermining the nation now. Why can't everyone just be honest again ?? How hard can that be anymore ?

Per the NFL rulebook:

Constitution trumps NFL but really, my biggest complaint is the president is not doing what he swore to do - protect the US Constitution.

He's whining like a spoiled toddler for only one reason - he was snubbed by the NFL.
. Really ? You actually believe it's about the past dealings of Trump the businessman who knows that you win some, and that you lose some in business all the time ?? Trump could care less in the way in which you think he cares about what you just claimed.

Per the NFL rulebook:

QUESTION for the board
What does it matter ? In the privacy of one's home people do what they want to do, but when in public people usually want to show unity and respect for their country. The world is watching, and lately we look like a bunch of idiots in this country for allowing a false narrative to be built up on the Michael Bown incident in order to spark a racial divide that has since morphed into a full blown bunch of bullcrap ever since. It tells the world that we have gotten out of control of our justice system in this country, and that fake news stories, narratives, and lies drive the media machine in which is undermining the nation now. Why can't everyone just be honest again ?? How hard can that be anymore ?
so at home there's no need for you to show respect for the flag even if you're all alone? AND the reason we look like idiots is because we have an idiot in charge

Per the NFL rulebook:

Great post. I've got a slightly different problem with this NFL issue that's consumed everybody for over a week now that I've kept to myself. Figured there were enough threads on this. :badgrin:

The NFL needs to clean THEIR HOUSE before they go attacking the country for injustices to Colin Kaepernick and other issues.

Case in point. Aaron Hernandez. Florida Gator star and the youngest draftee in 2010 (IIRC). Wasn't 18 months before he was getting accused of multiple shootings. Eventually, collared for murder. Committed suicide in his cell. He LEFT University as a JUNIOR to take the draft. I think the NFL "experience" pushed him a bit.

This is not isolated. About 35 to 40 arrests PER YEAR of NFL players. 870 since the year 2000.

NFL Arrest-Database - NFL Football - USA TODAY MOST OF THOSE "unresolved" or buried thru special "diversion" programs by the NFL.

A dozen or more high profile domestic abuse cases. Multiple incidences of other crimes such as weapons, intoxication, brawling, dog fighting.

Seems a bit petty to me to be keeping such a messy house and go piss on the neighborhood in the press. If you catch my drift. Clean it up guys. BECOME model spokesmen for causes before you go taking a dump on the rest of us..
. One wonders why there is a cultural decay involving the NFL going on, and what is leading or lending a hand towards this decay ? Is it that there is a cultural rot going on ? If so how does this get changed for the better somehow ?? Is it like Hollywood over the years, where as a cultural rot has taken place in that arena just as well ? How does the country change the trend away from cultural rot or decay ? Who stops the country from making positive changes back towards the light ?

It's mostly about handling fame, money, and stress in both cases. For Gawds sakes, at LEAST finish college before you join the NFL. Condition your life to be a "hero". All those jersey sales are to people that look up to you. Get your team members under control. And I don't mean the kind of hazing that goes on with the rookies. Have a plan for when you retire in 15 years.

Organize for positive change. Don't take the easy way to protest, just because you can. That applies to the fluff heads in Hollywood as WELL as the NFL. The NFL has made it quite clear what the expectations are in player rules and contracts. It's not asking much for working 7 months a year and getting trainloads of cash.

Or doing 2 movies a year and spending the rest of your time blowing thru piles of cocaine and accumulating bling an wardrobes.

Seems a bit petty to me to be keeping such a messy house and go piss on the neighborhood in the press. If you catch my drift. Clean it up guys. BECOME model spokesmen for causes before you go taking a dump on the rest of us..

I think after Trump, you don't have to be "model spokesman" anymore.

Just scream your point loud enough.

Used to be 'hypocrisy' was enough to invalidate a point. Not so much anymore.

Now, if Colin K was beating his wife or involved in dogfighting, you might have a point. But other people in the same profession being involved, not so much.

Colin K thought it OK to wear a Fidel Castro shirt to a photo op. That's actually a political statement that is not gonna endear him to the business that he is in. Poor JUDGEMENT of any kind -- really disqualifies you as a public icon. It's divisive for the sake of being divisive. It doesn't transmit any kind of COHERENT MESSAGE. So -- it's also not really speech. It's shouting also.

This is what Twitter has brought us. A lot of incoherent rage and shouting. And YET -- it gets the same status as "real news". Leaders focus on messaging. Bullies and megalomaniacs shout and Tweet.

Message Boards are the ORIGINAL form of "social media". They were supposed to promote coherent topical discussions. Some of us still believe that's a wise use of the Internet. Wouldn't disturb me at all to be losing some of "megaphones" that tech has created that only increase the noise and the shouting and cultural rot and division. Maybe folks will get enough of the tribal conflict -- before it turns into a hot war.

Per the NFL rulebook:

“Why do you not respect the flag or our country.”

Engaging in peaceful, lawful protest is to respect the flag or our country, and what that flag stands for.

Your problem with the NFL re: the National Anthem is exactly the same as every dumbass rube's problem. You don't understand what the protest is about and you don't understand what the flag represents.

Saying "there are other ways to protest" is really stupid and fails to recognize the importanct role that protests play in our society.

Maybe, but you are also slapping in the face all those that fight/fought for our country and built it. Whether that is your intent or not
Wrong.

One is honoring all those who fight and have fought for our country and built it.

Protest, dissent, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances are fundamental tenets of the American Nation.

This is what Twitter has brought us. A lot of incoherent rage and shouting. And YET -- it gets the same status as "real news". Leaders focus on messaging. Bullies and megalomaniacs shout and Tweet.

I agree, Trump is a bully and a megalomaniac...

What does this have to do with Kapenick and a t-shirt?

Same kind of instigation of division. No difference. Bad judgement on C.K.'s part as well. What he was doing was shouting. Not actually speech or conversation..

Per the NFL rulebook:

QUESTION for the board
so at home there's no need for you to show respect for the flag even if you're all alone? AND the reason we look like idiots is because we have an idiot in charge
. Listen, when you want to hold an adult conversation, then you come on back and let me know. I'm tired of you on the left spinning and spinning and spinning like an out of control rinse, wash, and repeat cycle of an old worn out washing machine. No matter how much you use it, your mess still comes out dirty.

Same kind of instigation of division. No difference. Bad judgement on C.K.'s part as well. What he was doing was shouting. Not actually speech or conversation..

It's only an "instigation" because white people don't want to admit to themselves this is still a problem.

No matter how many videotapes they are shown of police brutalizing black folks.

It's been 25 years since Rodney King. Why is this still a problem?

Forum List

Back