Rookie
Dec 28, 2015
Hello everyone, I've been considering joining the USMC for years now; various things kept me from enlisting when I turned 18, but I'm at a critical junction in my life where I believe it is time to enlist; I'm 22 years old. I have been steadily improving my PFT score and ASVAB score over the past few months. I am seriously considering on enlisting into the infantry.

My plan is essentially to enlist as 03XX and aim for 0311 and spend the next 4 years in that MOS. From there I am hoping to move into 0321 for the next 4 years (I plan to stay active duty for all 8 years). From there I plan to spend 4 years in college earning my degree which I will use to get into OCS and become an Officer. From there I plan to get into and spend the next ~16 years in MARSOC; retiring at the age of 50. That's the plan at least.

However, given the current state of affairs, I am uncertain as to the USMC's role in future combat missions. It would seem that at least under the Obama Administration combat missions have been withdrawn almost entirely with the exception of bombing missions, drone strikes, and recently the 50 or so Special Operatives that have been sent into Syria; which I have been unable to discover which group this has been; whether it is the Seals, MARSOC, etc; maybe someone here knows and can shed some light on that for me.

My concern is if I do end up joining the infantry whether or not I will actually have a chance at seeing combat or whether I will likely end up spending 4-8 years training and running drills. I know this will probably sound foolish, but I would be a little disappointed to spend so many years in the infantry and never see combat. That said I of course recognize the importance of having infantry on stand-by and preparing for the event they are needed even during peace time / etc.

So I was hoping someone could shed some light on this issue for me;
A: Are there still Marines who are in combat today?
B: Is it likely that Marines will be deployed into combat in the near future?
C: Do my plans sound feasible?

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

Forum List

Back