My Non-Nerd Review of Windows 10

The Win 10 upgrade will start loading itself automatically after bootup if you don't catch it and stop it

Actually I have (yet another) "update" scheduled to boot up today. Maybe I should deliberately kick it in so I can intercept it? Will that even be possible?
Now I don't know if this will work or not, go to Check for Updates (in Settings since you have Win 8), look for Update History and find update kb3035583. If it's there right click on it and see if it gives you the option to delete it. You may have to find a way to open the updates as Administrator.
If it's not there then open the Update Available box, find it among the updates available for download, right-click on it and select Hide. That way it will not download the update.
The problem is I don't know if it will work on Win 8 since it's set up different than Win 7.
Why are you crawling around at the Settings? You can uninstall updates starting from the explorer or the control panel.
Settings for uninstalling the update, to get rid of the GWX files yes, one has to go to explorer, find all the GWX files and individually take ownership and change permissions in order to delete. Just finished doing that so it appears a hard reset isn't required.
Shit, just discovered Win 10 downloading after rebooting even after uninstalling the GWX files........ Fuck!!!!

I don't seem to have any such "change PC settings" option. Can't proceed. :dunno:

I do have options to "hide updates" but only up to 8 hours. Kinda like being on death row...
How to hide windows updates on Windows 8.1

To change PC settings:

Getting rid of the GWX files (if they are on your computer) is a little more work.

The Win 10 upgrade will start loading itself automatically after bootup if you don't catch it and stop it

Actually I have (yet another) "update" scheduled to boot up today. Maybe I should deliberately kick it in so I can intercept it? Will that even be possible?
Now I don't know if this will work or not, go to Check for Updates (in Settings since you have Win 8), look for Update History and find update kb3035583. If it's there right click on it and see if it gives you the option to delete it. You may have to find a way to open the updates as Administrator.
If it's not there then open the Update Available box, find it among the updates available for download, right-click on it and select Hide. That way it will not download the update.
The problem is I don't know if it will work on Win 8 since it's set up different than Win 7.
Why are you crawling around at the Settings? You can uninstall updates starting from the explorer or the control panel.
Settings for uninstalling the update, to get rid of the GWX files yes, one has to go to explorer, find all the GWX files and individually take ownership and change permissions in order to delete. Just finished doing that so it appears a hard reset isn't required.
Shit, just discovered Win 10 downloading after rebooting even after uninstalling the GWX files........ Fuck!!!!
You can also use this tool:
Microsoft releases tool to hide or block unwanted Windows 10 updates | ZDNet
In Windows 8, I am using only the classic UI. I am also disabling all updates and I get my updates from here, instead: Update Pack für Windows 8.1, Windows 8 und Windows 7

Taking ownership is time consuming. I have included it into my customized image. You can also use Windows 8/10 Manager to create this context menu:
own.jpg

If you have Windows 8.1, I recommend you the latest version of my tool collection:
File-Upload.net - Anpassung.zip

Last edited:

Taking ownership is time consuming. I have included it into my customized image. You can also use Windows 8/10 Manager to create this context menu:
own.jpg

If you have Windows 8.1, I recommend you the latest version of my tool collection:
From what I read that only gives you the option to hide updates FOR Win 10, it doesn't block the Win 10 upgrade.

own.jpg

From what I read that only gives you the option to hide updates FOR Win 10, it doesn't block the Win 10 upgrade.
That´s true. But I doubt, that this upgrade to 10 is mandatory. I am not going to figure that out as I am using the Enterprise Edition and have the updates disabled, anyway.
I think, the easiest way to get rid of the notifications would be to customize the notification area though it is not as thorough as your solution.

own.jpg

That´s true. But I doubt, that this upgrade to 10 is mandatory. I am not going to figure that out as I am using the Enterprise Edition and have the updates disabled, anyway.
I think, the easiest way to get rid of the notifications would be to customize the notification area though it is not as thorough as your solution.
"My" solution I found online. Since I already had the upgrade reserved when it was available it started automatically downloading the first time I rebooted so I not only had to remove the notification/authentication but also the GWX files it loaded on my computer so it would no longer be able to download.

own.jpg

"My" solution I found online. Since I already had the upgrade reserved when it was available it started automatically downloading the first time I rebooted so I not only had to remove the notification/authentication but also the GWX files it loaded on my computer so it would no longer be able to download.
Yeah, I heard it is downloading in the background. But I am sure, one have nevertheless to run the upgrade manually.

own.jpg

Yeah, I heard it is downloading in the background. But I am sure, one have nevertheless to run the upgrade manually.
Probably but I'm not going to wait around and find out. Besides, why let it take up space on my hard drive since I've decided (for now) I don't want it.
I'm waiting for it to be available on my Lenovo Yoga 2 that has the hated (by me) Win 8.1 on it.

own.jpg

Probably but I'm not going to wait around and find out. Besides, why let it take up space on my hard drive since I've decided (for now) I don't want it.
I'm waiting for it to be available on my Lenovo Yoga 2 that has the hated (by me) Win 8.1 on it.
Good that I don´t have to deal with that upgrade thingy.

I'm gonna try it out on the Lenovo, if I don't like it the Lenovo will become an Ubuntu machine, just have to change/remove some driver code to make the WiFi work. It's already been done so all I need to do is download the packet that has been developed and run it. :thup:

I'm gonna try it out on the Lenovo, if I don't like it the Lenovo will become an Ubuntu machine, just have to change/remove some driver code to make the WiFi work. It's already been done so all I need to do is download the packet that has been developed and run it. :thup:
I am going to download a customized Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB image that is much smaller because components like the Defender have been removed. in addition, privacy settings are adjusted. It is important that it is the Enterprise LTSB Edition because MS will permanently add new obligatory "features" to the normal editions, that, so I fear, will lack of sense.

I am going to download a customized Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB image that is much smaller because components like the Defender have been removed. in addition, privacy settings are adjusted. It is important that it is the Enterprise LTSB Edition because MS will permanently add new obligatory "features" to the normal editions, that, so I fear, will lack of sense.
Well I don't have that option besides considering that I use the Lenovo extremely rarely I might just forego Win 10 and load Ubuntu, I would probably use it more often.

Well I don't have that option besides considering that I use the Lenovo extremely rarely I might just forego Win 10 and load Ubuntu, I would probably use it more often.
Private users don´t have the option. Not even LTSB using companies do have this option...
I just have to wait for my crappy mobile connection to be reset at the end of the month...

I am so glad I use Mint and don't have to deal with this M$ sh*t
I'm a gamer, it's the only reason I still use Windows.

Yeah I get that...although Steam now runs numerous games on Linux. However I seem to remember you are not a Steam fan.
I'm not an Origin fan, Steam I have and use, the problem is I have many games (older ones) that aren't on Steam and obviously would not work with Linux, even running them on Windows in VM is problematic. I know, I've tried.

I am so glad I use Mint and don't have to deal with this M$ sh*t
I'm a gamer, it's the only reason I still use Windows.

Yeah I get that...although Steam now runs numerous games on Linux. However I seem to remember you are not a Steam fan.
I'm not an Origin fan, Steam I have and use, the problem is I have many games (older ones) that aren't on Steam and obviously would not work with Linux, even running them on Windows in VM is problematic. I know, I've tried.

I really miss Halo CE online in it's prime, maybe 6 years ago or so. Man the great games I played then.

Forum List

Back