My Night Should Be Interesting

Granny

Gold Member
Dec 14, 2009
Rocky Top, TN
I have absolutely no idea what to expect.

I have this little 96 year old lady I sometimes take care of at night. She had a death in her family of someone who lives some [unknown] place down in Mississippi. She was all worked up last night because she wanted to go to the funeral. I was horrified. Don't know how many calls she made last night trying to get someone to drive down her down there. But when this little lady makes up her mind she wants to do something ... .

I tried to talk to her about how hard this trip could be on her, but she's of the mind that it's just going to be a drive down and back and it's no be deal. I asked if she had talked to her granddaughter about this and she said, "No. It's none of her business!" WHOA!!

I talked to the granddaughter this morning and the poor girl is tearing her hair out. She's an RN and KNOWS how Grandma should not be going. But going she is early tomorrow morning. I have no idea who is taking her.

My little lady has dementia which is not going backward - it's going forward on it's path; she has to use a walker; she takes meds; she's got some incontinence; she's got edema issues in her legs, ..., ... . We're not talking about a drive around the block - we're talking about a drive from Knoxville to some place down in Mississippi! Oh, my God! I would never in my wildest imagination consider taking on that responsibility.

I told my boss what was going on and that my last two nights would be coming off my schedule and that the granddaughter would be calling her.

Put her in the trunk with a bottle of Jack and hit the road...what's the worst that can happen?

Last edited:
Well ... my little lady greeted me at the door last night grinning like a Cheshire cat and said, "I'm going!" Which is a way of saying, "I won." When she sets her mind to something she's going to find a way to do it come hell or high water. I think that's a part of the thing I love about her so much. She tells the greatest stories of her youth: "I've had a good life. I did what I wanted to do, when I wanted to and came and went as I pleased." She said her husband was a good man and she had no desire to remarry. God knows she sure has a family that loves her.

She was packed and ready to rock & roll when I got there. The RN who stays with her was there this morning to pack up her meds, etc. I just hope this trip will not be too hard on her. Ironically enough, this morning she said she did have a thought that maybe she shouldn't go.

Forum List

Back