My kind of music

Chris Stapleton Lends “Our Song” to Willie Nelson

I recall reading somewhere a long time ago one of Willie's kinfolks, (dad or grandad), told Willie he'd never make it as a singer.
He's 86, still singing, and ironically one of the most recognizable singers in the world.
It's a pleasure listening to the age in his voice and encouraging at the same time for one to pursue their dreams.

The two songs above got me to thinking about the movie The Grapes of Wrath which got me to thinking about Woodie Guthrie so I looked him up on You Tube and found this rendition of This land Is Your Land by Bruce Springsteen

This has been going around in my head- I've started back to playing at playing a guitar and this is easy

This has been going around in my head- I've started back to playing at playing a guitar and this is easy

Did you get your new guitar squared away or are you looking for something else now?
I think I mentioned I got a Roland Street amp but I sent it back. It sounded like shit with those tiny little 6.5" speakers so I traded it for a Boss Katana 50 MK2 with a single 12" speaker. It's still classed as a practice amp though even with 50 watts. The one I sent back had a total of 5 watts counting both 2.5 watt channels. It wasn't the volume though it was the sound quality. It didn't even sound good playing my iPod through it much less a guitar. I have a hollow body so I'm looking for good clean tones with a smooth bottom end that's suitable for jazz.

Did you get your new guitar squared away or are you looking for something else now?
I think I mentioned I got a Roland Street amp but I sent it back. It sounded like shit with those tiny little 6.5" speakers so I traded it for a Boss Katana 50 MK2 with a single 12" speaker. It's still classed as a practice amp though even with 50 watts. The one I sent back had a total of 5 watts counting both 2.5 watt channels. It wasn't the volume though it was the sound quality. It didn't even sound good playing my iPod through it much less a guitar. I have a hollow body so I'm looking for good clean tones with a smooth bottom end that's suitable for jazz.
I have ordered one of the ones (of three) I wanted from Reverb and according to the shipping update was shipped at 8 this morning (UPS) and should arrive the 9th- it's called an Ibanez alt30 - notice the head stock!
I ordered it in transparent charcoal coloring. It is an electric acoustic- sadly though, just a few minutes ago I saw the bridge on my Fender Dreadnaught is coming unglued.:mad::(

1591312505909.png

I wondered about an amp- and I've been looking (sorta researching video and audio recording equipt. Not for public consumption, necessarily, so much as leaving something for my kids and grand kids)

I still want an Alvarez, but this deal with my Fender Dreadnaught bridge coming unglued is making me a bit wary of Fender cheap guitars. I'll call the Guitar Center I bought it from (in person before they got stupid) and try to find out what to do.

I have ordered one of the ones (of three) I wanted from Reverb and according to the shipping update was shipped at 8 this morning (UPS) and should arrive the 9th- it's called an Ibanez alt30 - notice the head stock!
I ordered it in transparent charcoal coloring. It is an electric acoustic- sadly though, just a few minutes ago I saw the bridge on my Fender Dreadnaught is coming unglued.:mad::(

View attachment 345689

I wondered about an amp- and I've been looking (sorta researching video and audio recording equipt. Not for public consumption, necessarily, so much as leaving something for my kids and grand kids)

I still want an Alvarez, but this deal with my Fender Dreadnaught bridge coming unglued is making me a bit wary of Fender cheap guitars. I'll call the Guitar Center I bought it from (in person before they got stupid) and try to find out what to do.
Well from what I've seen you get a lot f guitar for the money from Ibanez. At least I'm happy with mine. I've been an old guy on YouTube gluing pulled up brides on several flat tops lately. Check out Rosa string works. Turns out the old dude is a retired EE like me except I'm older.

Well from what I've seen you get a lot f guitar for the money from Ibanez
I was actually considering an Ibanez before I picked up an Alvarez. I'm sure the one I ordered will meet my expectations- now I want both- LOL

I've watched a couple of people repairing bridges on you tube- I could and would do it if I didn't live in an apt or one of my kids had the tools since they do have the space. I'd probably enjoy doing it- but, I did an internet search and found a couple of places not far from me who can do it.

I called the Guitar Center where I bought it and they said to bring it by and let them look at it and they would determine whether to repair it or replace, but- I HAVE TO WEAR A MASK IN THEIR PARKING LOT!
NO! I will NOT! I'll throw it in the trash before I do that. So, I sent Guitar Center corporate and Fender Corporate an email expressing my displeasure- I don't expect a reply since my previous experience(s) with them rendered me squat- but, as I told them my days of doing business with Guitar Center are over. Fender is still up in the air though since I still want a Malibu Player.
We'll see-

Well from what I've seen you get a lot f guitar for the money from Ibanez
I was actually considering an Ibanez before I picked up an Alvarez. I'm sure the one I ordered will meet my expectations- now I want both- LOL

I've watched a couple of people repairing bridges on you tube- I could and would do it if I didn't live in an apt or one of my kids had the tools since they do have the space. I'd probably enjoy doing it- but, I did an internet search and found a couple of places not far from me who can do it.

I called the Guitar Center where I bought it and they said to bring it by and let them look at it and they would determine whether to repair it or replace, but- I HAVE TO WEAR A MASK IN THEIR PARKING LOT!
NO! I will NOT! I'll throw it in the trash before I do that. So, I sent Guitar Center corporate and Fender Corporate an email expressing my displeasure- I don't expect a reply since my previous experience(s) with them rendered me squat- but, as I told them my days of doing business with Guitar Center are over. Fender is still up in the air though since I still want a Malibu Player.
We'll see-
Guitar Center has no friggin idea what they're doing with guitar service. Hell, I can set one up better than those bozos can now. They're in business to sell shit anyway. To tell you the truth I think Sweetwater is a better place to buy. I've been getting great service from them lately. Better service than I ever got at guitar center. I used to go to guitar center because there were a couple of stores close by but since I've moved it's all internet now.

They're in business to sell shit anyway.
Yes. It's a numbers game as are most big box businesses. They just don't care- there is someone standing right behind you that will do business with them.

I've been impressed with Reverb so far- UPS tracking says my guitar is already in Houston (as of yesterday)

I bought some strings from Sweetwater and it took nine (9) days for them to get here. NINE days- because they sent them USPS First Class which is junk mail mailing- but, hey, it was "free"- LOL

They're in business to sell shit anyway.
Yes. It's a numbers game as are most big box businesses. They just don't care- there is someone standing right behind you that will do business with them.

I've been impressed with Reverb so far- UPS tracking says my guitar is already in Houston (as of yesterday)

I bought some strings from Sweetwater and it took nine (9) days for them to get here. NINE days- because they sent them USPS First Class which is junk mail mailing- but, hey, it was "free"- LOL
Well so far they've been giving me good service and I've been iving them the business. I've got another amp on the way that will get here today or Monday latest via FedEx surface. They delivered the last one on a Sunday. Free shipping of course because I'm too cheap to pay extra.
I hope you watched that Sam Deeks guy so you can do your own setups. Mine has never played better since I did my own work.

I hope you watched that Sam Deeks guy so you can do your own setups
I haven't watched him in particular- I have watched a couple of different ones but I'll try to remember that name when I look again.

I found a place down here, Great Southern Music, within decent driving distance, that will fix the bridge problem.
The owner said it's usually around 100 bucks. I can live with that- he's also an official Fender repair facility- I'll ask them for a "professional" set up just to see if they did any better than I did.

I haven't watched him in particular- I have watched a couple of different ones but I'll try to remember that name when I look again.

I found a place down here, Great Southern Music, within decent driving distance, that will fix the bridge problem.
The owner said it's usually around 100 bucks. I can live with that- he's also an official Fender repair facility- I'll ask them for a "professional" set up just to see if they did any better than I did.
There's a framus out there called a Bridge Doctor that's supposed to fix bellyed out flat tops. It connects the rear block to the bridge pad inside. It looked like a good idea to me but I don't have an acoustic must less a flat top.

There's a framus out there called a Bridge Doctor that's supposed to fix bellyed out flat tops. It connects the rear block to the bridge pad inside. It looked like a good idea to me but I don't have an acoustic must less a flat top.
There's a guy on you tube named something or other Rosa. It's under Rosa String Works who does a lot of flat top repairs. How he fixes some of that stuff I'll never know yet he shows you step by step. Somehow he manages to take a pile of broken kindling wood and make it into a guitar again. He's a lot like me, just a cranky and determined old man.

Forum List

Back