My dog has a heart murmur!

Well, now, Gracie, I'm not sure I would call it a "little" spat. Two vet visits and meds totalling about $290 now. A follow-up vet visit scheduled for this Friday. And poor Greta not getting out for walks and runs for many days while the leg heals. And when Greta doesn't get to go, no one goes. (Although we have a fairly large back yard for them to run around in if they want to.) And having to wear the cone. Not to mention the stress I don't need right now.

When it gets to that level I consider it a tad more than a little spat!

I dislike this Sharpei very much. Horrible breed of dog. I don't know, maybe she was sent here to teach me something...that I'm a terrible person, perhaps. My quality of life is depreciated by having her in it.

And I feel like a complete asshole for feeling that way. But I can't help it, it's how I feel. :( I've tried to change my attitude about her, but I can't. It went south when she bit Greta the first time a few years ago when I first brought her into the house. I fear for her safety if she does it again in the near future.

Ever since I rescued her I feel like I'm being punished for trying to do something good.

I know...shocking admissions from an avowed animal-lover. :(

Last edited:
Not shocking. Honest commentary. What you need to do, hon, is rehome her. She feels your dislike. It is not good for her. For Greta. For you. Find her a new home asap. I know you will make SURE it is a good home because you DO love animals, hon. She is just not a good fit for you so it would be the best thing for all of you. Put an ad in Craigslist with a fee to make sure whomever calls is serious in wanting a sharpei or find a Sharpei Rescue group that will take her and tell them why. They will take care of her.:)

I know a gal looking for another sharpei but I don't know if she wants a grown dog or a puppy. Do you want me to put you two in touch with each other? I think she lives in N Carolina? Not sure how you guys would transport the dog even if she did want it.

Not shocking. Honest commentary. What you need to do, hon, is rehome her. She feels your dislike. It is not good for her. For Greta. For you. Find her a new home asap. I know you will make SURE it is a good home because you DO love animals, hon. She is just not a good fit for you so it would be the best thing for all of you. Put an ad in Craigslist with a fee to make sure whomever calls is serious in wanting a sharpei or find a Sharpei Rescue group that will take her and tell them why. They will take care of her.:)

I know a gal looking for another sharpei but I don't know if she wants a grown dog or a puppy. Do you want me to put you two in touch with each other? I think she lives in N Carolina? Not sure how you guys would transport the dog even if she did want it.

I would not want to transport, Lucy, I think it would traumatize her. You see, even the way I feel about he I still have compassion. And she is not treated badly at my house, she is well-cared for. I make sure to mention her name and pat her on the head...you know, not ignore her.

But I think you're right about rehoming her. That's what I wanted to do a few years ago when I first rescued her off the streets. I had to borrow a trap from Animal Control to catch her, she wouldn't come to anyone. After we got her socialized a little, and cleaned up, I told my husband I was going to find a good home for her and he had a little fit. "You're going to GIVE HER AWAY????" He asked, like I was some kind of monster or something. So I kept her. And, of course, husband does absolutely nothing to take care of her. :(

My vet suggested contact Friends of Pets to see if they could help in rehoming her. She would be traumatized at first, but she would respond quickly to love, I am sure. She is actually very sweet.

Still not sure what the hell the Chinese were thinking when they developed the breed. Oh, yeah, that's right...fighting dog. That's why the skin is all loose, they can be bitten but all that loose skin protects them from serious injury. And it works.

Last edited:
I think rehoming her would be a good move. I know you show her affection but....she can still feel your dislike. She also knows you love greta more and maybe she is jealous of that love. Dogs are smart. She knows how you feel about her. My mother told me she loved me too....but she didn't. She felt like you do...ashamed, sad, but she just could not love me. I felt that unlove all my life even though she would buy my presents, say the right things, etc. She would pet me once in awhile too but the touch was lacking. She may as well have been petting a wall...and the comfort I got from those pets was about as pleasant as being pet by a soft bristled hair brush. I knew. And she knew I knew. But what could she do? Nothing. I eventually hated her. And I hated my sister too because my sister was her favorite being on the whole earth. My dad made up for it...but like your husband, he knew and was aghast but did nothing except try now and then to show love for his little girl. Still..it was not enough. When he died....I bailed out of that house and my mother at 16 years old. I never went back. I hated it there. No love. Just a shitload of pretend.
Your little sharpei needs to go where she is number one. Not number two. And no matter the petting or taking good care of her or even using her name. She KNOWS.

Last edited:
When I worked in a Vet clinic I was very wary whenever I saw a Sharpei or a Chow. They were always the two breeds who tried to bite the most. Akita's weren't great either.

I guess, the best advice is what you've already been given. See about finding her a new home with someone that knows the breed and maybe doesn't have other dogs.

Best of luck!!

Well, we went for a recheck on Greta's leg wounds. The vet stapled the worst bite up last time we were there. The wound is looking good, the infection is gone and healing is evident. He rebandaged and said to keep the bandage on 3-4 days. About 10 days from now the wound should be healed enough for him to remove the staples. By then she will be done with her antibiotics and we can see about that electrocardiogram and maybe getting her on some heart meds.

One step at a time.

Well, we went for a recheck on Greta's leg wounds. The vet stapled the worst bite up last time we were there. The wound is looking good, the infection is gone and healing is evident. He rebandaged and said to keep the bandage on 3-4 days. About 10 days from now the wound should be healed enough for him to remove the staples. By then she will be done with her antibiotics and we can see about that electrocardiogram and maybe getting her on some heart meds.

One step at a time.

Thanks for keeping us updated! :)

Another update on Greta. I became worried over the weekend because her breathing became rapid and kind of labored. Not panting, but breathing rapidly with her mouth closed even when at rest. She was still eating and we went out for a walk and she was fine and was running and chasing balls a little bit. But Sunday night I became very worried. This is another sign of the heart disease and can mean fluids are building up in the lungs making it hard for her to get enough oxygen.

Called the vet first thing this morning. He said check her at Noon and then call him. She was still breathing fast, so I took her in at 2pm today. She is okay, he doesn't hear a LOT of fluid build up in her lungs, but subscribed a diuretic to help get rid of fluids. I'll start her on that when I get off work.

Her leg is healing well, he put a new bandage on....says we'll recheck that in a week. And once again, the plan is still to have an electrocardiogram and then he'll know what meds to prescribe for her once she's off all these antibiotics for her leg wound. I don't think there's much doubt that this is the start of a heart condition. It's really just a matter of how much quality life she'll have left. I'm hoping it'll be a few years if we caught this early enough.

And of course I'm going to be researching every possible remedy and herbs or foods to bolster the heart. I'm anxious to get the electrocardiogram done so we know more what we're dealing with. We'll see what effect the diuretics have on her breathing.

Another update on Greta. I became worried over the weekend because her breathing became rapid and kind of labored. Not panting, but breathing rapidly with her mouth closed even when at rest. She was still eating and we went out for a walk and she was fine and was running and chasing balls a little bit. But Sunday night I became very worried. This is another sign of the heart disease and can mean fluids are building up in the lungs making it hard for her to get enough oxygen.

Called the vet first thing this morning. He said check her at Noon and then call him. She was still breathing fast, so I took her in at 2pm today. She is okay, he doesn't hear a LOT of fluid build up in her lungs, but subscribed a diuretic to help get rid of fluids. I'll start her on that when I get off work.

Her leg is healing well, he put a new bandage on....says we'll recheck that in a week. And once again, the plan is still to have an electrocardiogram and then he'll know what meds to prescribe for her once she's off all these antibiotics for her leg wound. I don't think there's much doubt that this is the start of a heart condition. It's really just a matter of how much quality life she'll have left. I'm hoping it'll be a few years if we caught this early enough.

And of course I'm going to be researching every possible remedy and herbs or foods to bolster the heart. I'm anxious to get the electrocardiogram done so we know more what we're dealing with. We'll see what effect the diuretics have on her breathing.

thanks for the updates on your baby Gretta. My fingers are crossed!

(((HUGS))) to you and Greta...it does sound worrisome. Diuretics should help give her some relief. My friend's papillion was on them for over a year and it greatly improved his quality of life.

Well, now, Gracie, I'm not sure I would call it a "little" spat. Two vet visits and meds totalling about $290 now. A follow-up vet visit scheduled for this Friday. And poor Greta not getting out for walks and runs for many days while the leg heals. And when Greta doesn't get to go, no one goes. (Although we have a fairly large back yard for them to run around in if they want to.) And having to wear the cone. Not to mention the stress I don't need right now.

spat is just sound and fury signifying nothing

When it gets to that level I consider it a tad more than a little spat!

it is a dog fight when you have to vet one of the dogs

I dislike this Sharpei very much. Horrible breed of dog. I don't know, maybe she was sent here to teach me something...that I'm a terrible person, perhaps. My quality of life is depreciated by having her in it.

And I feel like a complete asshole for feeling that way. But I can't help it, it's how I feel. :( I've tried to change my attitude about her, but I can't. It went south when she bit Greta the first time a few years ago when I first brought her into the house. I fear for her safety if she does it again in the near future.

Ever since I rescued her I feel like I'm being punished for trying to do something good.

I know...shocking admissions from an avowed animal-lover. :(

no its not....she has disturbed your home...can you rehome the sharpei...again it may make you feel shitty but would it be the best for the dogs? not only gracie but the sharpei?

an aside for a chuckle or two....

hubby has buddy the weird looking mixed breed mostly corgi....

corgi's were the favored mount of warrior fairies and were given to the welsh in thanks by the wood fairies..their markings indicate where the warrior fairies saddle and bridles were...

corgi's have been raised in the royal family for 7 decades.....

Several things occur to me regarding the Sharpei. One is bitches fight far worse then males - and they tend to go for maximum damage (males are often more bluster and noise). A deep puncture to the leg indicates serious intent - to take the other dog down. The Sharpei may have already been recognizing signs in Greta that she was not well and be taking advantage of that to assert her position (claim to resources etc).

You are probably already doing this but it bears repeating - protect Greta. Monitor them when they are together and don't leave them together unsupervised (crate the Sharpei maybe).

I'm always super cautious with my old dogs for exactly those reasons and it's not necessarily that the Sharpei is bad but she's a dog and acting like a dog would.

o good point...when jake was on the down hill...when he would get near thor...thor would growl and back him off....they had been together for years...my vet said its normal pack behavior and that is why the old dogs will go off to die..or hide...its not pretty to think about but dogs live by a pack behavior and die by pack behavior

o good point...when jake was on the down hill...when he would get near thor...thor would growl and back him off....they had been together for years...my vet said its normal pack behavior and that is why the old dogs will go off to die..or hide...its not pretty to think about but dogs live by a pack behavior and die by pack behavior

I have heard instances where a pack has killed an older dog - often, the old dog, feeling vulnerable or - maybe a little senile, gives off the wrong signals or starts a fight by over reacting and it has ended up being killed. Not always but when you have multiple dogs it's important to be aware of - and it's not the dogs' fault, they are just being dogs. My oldest dog now is almost 13. He has neurological damage in his back end so he is wobbly. However he will still try to start things - he knows he's vulnerable and he used to be the head dog. I'm always careful with him and my other male even though my other male is a total wuss and avoids Cowboy. I just don't leave them together when I'm not home :)

yea...jake was alpha and willing to kill or die to be alpha...thor not so much....buddy is just happy to be here...he was abused at his last home...he belonged to a drunk....it has taken 2 years for him not to run home if someone raises their voice....and he doesnt react to me having a broom now...he seems to know he has found a safe haven....

Several things occur to me regarding the Sharpei. One is bitches fight far worse then males - and they tend to go for maximum damage (males are often more bluster and noise). A deep puncture to the leg indicates serious intent - to take the other dog down. The Sharpei may have already been recognizing signs in Greta that she was not well and be taking advantage of that to assert her position (claim to resources etc).

You are probably already doing this but it bears repeating - protect Greta. Monitor them when they are together and don't leave them together unsupervised (crate the Sharpei maybe).

I'm always super cautious with my old dogs for exactly those reasons and it's not necessarily that the Sharpei is bad but she's a dog and acting like a dog would.

Several years ago the Sharpei bit Greta badly on the leg also. I think it's because of her height...you know, that's the part of Greta that's at mouth level to her.

I hate crating dogs, but the Sharpei gets crated when I'm not home. I simply do not trust her. My dobermans have gotten into fights over the years, sometimes necessitating vet visits, but it's not the same, somehow. For one things the dobie bites are not as likely to get infected. The nasty Sharpei bites get infected and these bites on the thin doberman legs are particulary nasty and hard to get healed. The dobermans tend to bite each other on the butt, and they've been in fights where they don't bite each other at all...just get each other all spitty. Thank goodness they don't do it much anymore now that they're older!

Now you're really going to think I'm terrible when I tell you this. Greta is a doberman and she's the alpha around here. Do you really think she just folded when Lucy bit her on the leg? Oh, no, it pissed her off and she tore up Lucy's head pretty bad. Lucky she didn't put her eyes out. But that loose Sharpei skin and wrinkles saved her. And she heals up rather amazingly...I didn't bother with the vet for Lucy's wounds, I've seen how quickly she heals. Her head and face are pretty scarred up from being stupid enough to mess with the dobermans.

I will not tolerate her biting Greta again. I'm afraid I'll kill her if she does. Greta is the center of my universe.

As for monitoring them, I was right in the same room when the fight broke out. It happened so fast there wasn't much I could do. Greta had an old chewed up piece of bully stick. She dropped it on the floor and Lucy went after it. When Greta rightfully protected her property, Lucy bit her. Lucy starts trouble. She does it with my other doberman, also.

On one level I have a lot of compassion for Lucy. But on the other level, I despise her. It's a toxic situation.

yea...jake was alpha and willing to kill or die to be alpha...thor not so much....buddy is just happy to be here...he was abused at his last home...he belonged to a drunk....it has taken 2 years for him not to run home if someone raises their voice....and he doesnt react to me having a broom now...he seems to know he has found a safe haven....

I know about animals being afraid of brooms! A couple of the stray cats I took in would run like crazy every time I picked up a broom. So sad, it's pretty obvious why they reacted that way. I'm glad to say I can sweep near them now and they just sit and watch me. :)

I know about animals being afraid of brooms! A couple of the stray cats I took in would run like crazy every time I picked up a broom. So sad, it's pretty obvious why they reacted that way. I'm glad to say I can sweep near them now and they just sit and watch me. :)

gads.... mine love it when the broom comes out..... its a TOY!!.. look mom...its moving for me to jump on!! oh oh oh ... a dust ball.... gimmy!!.... look at that nice pile of stuff.... attack and roll!!!

some love the vacuum too.... they sit right there....i can go right up to them with it. One follows it around the house ..... its pretty darn funny.

I make a point of sweeping and vacuuming the kitten room... so they aren't afraid of the sounds or motions.....

Forum List

Back