My bro is being redeployed :(

I know Allie... He's with the very best. I know a coupe of the guys in his unit and they are nothing short of the finest American fighting men you'd ever have the chance to meet. It reminds me of the quote from Eleanor Roosevelt about Marines being the most vile, reprehensible people you'd ever want to have on your side. I would surely pee myself if I had to face these guys in a fight, they play hard and fight even harder. We have the best guys in the world giving everything for us. They are so selfless. I feel like such a shit for not jumping in to help.
I think you should stop beating yourself up about not joining Amanda. You're a good person and a patriot. You needn't join the military to prove that to anyone here.

But if you really want to do some good by joining the military, go to college and be an OFFICER! There's where you can do some good. There's where you can make a difference. There's where you'll MAKE MORE MONEY. Seriously, I think you'd make a good leader. A person in charge. You have the level head and posses quality moral character, and that's the kind of people we need as officers who set an example.

Think about it....

Well... I have thought about that but I'm not very smart and I'm concerned college would be too much for me. I do want to go to college and get a degree so people will take me more seriously but I don't want to wait to get into the fight. The thing that stops me more than anything is that I know they won't let me join the infantry. I just don't get that. I can be meaner and angrier than even my bros and that's saying something and they were allowed to go 0300. I wouldn't disappoint anyone if they'd let me try. I can take a beat down with the best of them. I've been beat on and beat on and I just come back for more. I'd like to think I'm as tough as they come. There isn't anything I wouldn't endure to make my family and country proud of me. I don't understand why they won't let me be infantry. I'm a real good shot and I can carry a heavy pack without complaining. I can max out all the male PFT requirements and then some. It just isn't fair.
There are women who perform excellently in US military units that are in combat situations. Combat flight units, motorized infantry, armored cav. and artillery, engineer battalions that build, repair and clear roads and manage pyrotechnics, security units, psy ops and PR units, communications and medical units, front line logistics. And our military does have women in command of units that are in combat situations, as well.
And yes, women can perform as well as men in just about every situation, combat or otherwise.
Training. Strength of Character. Knowledge. Smart Decisionmaking. Confidence. Honesty. Professionalism.
There is no gender wall in any of those qualities.
If you speak to a recrutier, which is a free conversation, BTW, they wil fill you in on the options a woman can have in the various armed forces.
Don't ignore the other branches - Coast Guard, Navy, and Air Force.
They get better chow.

Pale Rider said:
There's only one way to end that shit over there Amanda, and that's turn the whole damn filthy sand pit into a glass parking lot. If there's a muslim left standing, it'll start all over again.

Anguille said:
You make me ill.

Good... feelings mutual.

Have you considered a sex change operation? Seeing as there isn't anything you wouldn't do to make your family and country proud of you ..

What an ignorant, heartless thing to say.

They get better chow.

Don't I know that. I spent eight years in the Air Force, and I heard plenty of troops from other branches comment that they'd eaten in one of our base chow halls, and that we had such good food. No need to tell me. I lived off base but still ate in the chow halls. It WAS good food, especially breakfast. Oh man... I'd get a huge omelet with ham, cheese, green peppers, onions and mushrooms in it, SOS, (for those unfamiliar with military jargon, that's hash browns with chipped beef gravy on top), bacon, sausage, toast, and two glasses of grape juice all for about $1.25. I loved it.

Last edited:
You need a significant other.... a good one.

Don't we all?

I don't think we all do. While it's great to pair up with someone you truly love and care for, we are all individuals. Another person isn't going to provide our happiness for us. That comes from within, IMO.

The idea that a person has to prove their worth by getting another person to be their mate is, for lack of a better expression, so bourgeois.

Otherwise, that was a great post!

My brother was supposed to come home from Iraq in June but we found out a couple weeks ago he's going to Afghanistan :( I want him to come home so bad, I've been crying myself silly over this but I finally heard them talking about it on CNN so I guess it's ok to talk about. Does anyone else have a loved one over there? This is just making me think more and more about joining. We need to get this done so everyone can come home.
What unit is he assigned to ?
Very few units have actually been designated for shift from Iraq to Afghan, or been notified of the decision they will be shifted to Afghanistan.
A lot of equipment has been going to Afghanistan, being shifted from Iraq or sent directly from the
US, but very few personnel, so far, have been designated or notified.
No units with less than 6 months remaining in their deployment have been scehduled to be transferred from Iraq to Afghanistan.
None.
Zero.
What branch and what unit is he in ?

My brother was supposed to come home from Iraq in June but we found out a couple weeks ago he's going to Afghanistan :( I want him to come home so bad, I've been crying myself silly over this but I finally heard them talking about it on CNN so I guess it's ok to talk about. Does anyone else have a loved one over there? This is just making me think more and more about joining. We need to get this done so everyone can come home.

My hopes and prayers are with you, your family and especially your brother.

I think we should bring them all home. It's time to stop worrying about other countries and start worrying about our own.

C'mon girl... stop saying you're not smart. That just isn't true.

She's smart enough to get you to keep telling her how smart she is. :lol:

AND smart enough to make you jealous... :eusa_whistle:
Well, there are different kinds of 'smart'.
I knew a guy in boot camp who scored the highest they had ever seen on their 2 year old recruitment
battery of exams. He was off the charts on math and language and reasoning.

This recruit was without a doubt the least capable person in our boot camp company. Even guys with IQs less than 100 were better than he was at functioning in real situations.
He literally did not know left from right, had no physical strength or coordination, had a hard time following simple orders and procedures. Folding undies. Marching. PT drills.
He was a genius on paper, had a mind full of amazing facts and calculating skills but he was a space case, lost half the time in the ether. A genius who could do math problems in a second that nobody else can start, but could not tie his own shoes. I mean that literally. He could not tie the common knot in his shoes.
I was alphabetically the next from him, so I was volunteered to be his boot camp mentor.

He was not a bad kid, but as far as real life experience goes, he was dumb as a stump. No social skills, almost a complete lack of humor. A 100% space case geek.

He was ushered through boot camp, was allowed to progress even though he was dysfunctional at all the practical necessities. He was placed placed in a cypher school and sent off to play with secret codes.
I felt bad for him. The last thing he needed was more isolation duty. He needed to get laid. To get drunk. To have fun. To learn to be more comfortable with himself in social situations.

Smarts are relative to the situation.

I think you should stop beating yourself up about not joining Amanda. You're a good person and a patriot. You needn't join the military to prove that to anyone here.

But if you really want to do some good by joining the military, go to college and be an OFFICER! There's where you can do some good. There's where you can make a difference. There's where you'll MAKE MORE MONEY. Seriously, I think you'd make a good leader. A person in charge. You have the level head and posses quality moral character, and that's the kind of people we need as officers who set an example.

Think about it....

Well... I have thought about that but I'm not very smart and I'm concerned college would be too much for me. I do want to go to college and get a degree so people will take me more seriously but I don't want to wait to get into the fight. The thing that stops me more than anything is that I know they won't let me join the infantry. I just don't get that. I can be meaner and angrier than even my bros and that's saying something and they were allowed to go 0300. I wouldn't disappoint anyone if they'd let me try. I can take a beat down with the best of them. I've been beat on and beat on and I just come back for more. I'd like to think I'm as tough as they come. There isn't anything I wouldn't endure to make my family and country proud of me. I don't understand why they won't let me be infantry. I'm a real good shot and I can carry a heavy pack without complaining. I can max out all the male PFT requirements and then some. It just isn't fair.
There are women who perform excellently in US military units that are in combat situations. Combat flight units, motorized infantry, armored cav. and artillery, engineer battalions that build, repair and clear roads and manage pyrotechnics, security units, psy ops and PR units, communications and medical units, front line logistics. And our military does have women in command of units that are in combat situations, as well.
And yes, women can perform as well as men in just about every situation, combat or otherwise.
Training. Strength of Character. Knowledge. Smart Decisionmaking. Confidence. Honesty. Professionalism.
If you speak to a recrutier, which is a free conversation, BTW, they wil fill you in on the options a woman can have in the various armed forces.
They get better chow.

I don't care about the food, I care about making a difference. I don't know my bros unit designation offhand but he's an engineer with the Marines. Which is the only branch I would even consider joining. Everyone in my family was a Marine, there really isn't other choice IMO. I wouldn't want to be anything else, and I wouldn't embarrass them by being anything else.

Think about it....

C'mon girl... stop saying you're not smart. That just isn't true. There's two kinds of smart Amanda, there's book smart intelligent, and then there's common sense smart, and I'd say you have an ABUNDANCE of common sense smart. That makes you a natural problem solver, and the military needs people to be officers that are natural problem solvers. All it takes to join the military as a 2nd Lt. is an Associates Degree. Talk to a recruiter. Ask him/her about the different things they'd recommend to go to college for, for different types of officer positions, and DON'T let them talk you into joining up as simply enlisted. If you're dead set on joining the military, GO FOR THE GUSTO, DO IT RIGHT! You want your family to be proud of you, BE AN OFFICER! Forget about this fighting stuff. You're an attractive women, and there's no need for you to convince anybody you can take a beating as well as give one to prove your a lady. If you were an officer in the Army, you WOULD be supporting the war machine. ALL jobs do. Be content with that, and I think you'd find your family would be falling all over themselves proud of you.

And then there's this.... your brothers would have to SALUTE you... :D

P.S. You REALLY want to kill and fuck some shit up, be a fighter jet pilot.

I don't think they let girls do that kind of work. Which is too bad, cos I think I'd be good at it.

I've never enjoyed killing, but I am very good at it. I learned to hunt deer with a little 243 Roberts and you needed a really clean hit to drop a deer with it.

I like the idea of being an officer. I've thought about it before. I think I know what I'm doing first thing monday morning.

The thing that stops me more than anything is that I know they won't let me join the infantry. I just don't get that. I can be meaner and angrier than even my bros and that's saying something and they were allowed to go 0300. I wouldn't disappoint anyone if they'd let me try. I can take a beat down with the best of them. I've been beat on and beat on and I just come back for more. I'd like to think I'm as tough as they come. There isn't anything I wouldn't endure to make my family and country proud of me. I don't understand why they won't let me be infantry. I'm a real good shot and I can carry a heavy pack without complaining. I can max out all the male PFT requirements and then some. It just isn't fair.

Have you considered a sex change operation? Seeing as there isn't anything you wouldn't do to make your family and country proud of you ..

Please don't be mean to me Ang. :(

well stop talking about going to a stupid war..for stupid reasons...its dumb...I'm serious if you wanted to serve the empire and sacrifice for its cause the best thing you could do is provide future bodies for the war machine... so your sons could go try to kill their sons ..thats just reality..thats just the way it is

Well I AM dumb. I thought everyone knew this. I just want to be useful and needed. I see this as worthy. They are killing innocents over there and maybe I could help. Is it bad to want to help? I don't care about my own personal safety. I've had a good life and it's time I gave something back to someone in need.

They get better chow.

I don't care about the food, I care about making a difference. I don't know my bros unit designation offhand but he's an engineer with the Marines. Which is the only branch I would even consider joining. Everyone in my family was a Marine, there really isn't other choice IMO. I wouldn't want to be anything else, and I wouldn't embarrass them by being anything else.

You don't know where your brother is, or what he does, and even though it's been said in this thread that no USMC units have been rerouted, your brother has?

Weird...

They get better chow.

You don't know where your brother is, or what he does, and even though it's been said in this thread that no USMC units have been rerouted, your brother has?

Weird...

I don't know when he's supposed to be going. Just because it hasn't been on CNN doesn't mean it isn't true. He might not go for another 2 months. I don't know. Those weren't the things I talked to him about.

They get better chow.

Weird...
lol...ya think?

Weird...

I don't know when he's supposed to be going. Just because it hasn't been on CNN doesn't mean it isn't true. He might not go for another 2 months. I don't know. Those weren't the things I talked to him about.

You already said he was supposed to come home in June, but now he's not..Which means his deployment was up in June...which also means that he didn't have 6 months left to his current deployment, and still doesn't fit the criteria for being redeployed..

You really don't seem to know much about your own brother...

Sometimes I think those that don't believe you're anything even remotely close to what you say you are might just have a point...

But then, sometimes you sound like a typical 18 year old kid, and I think they're nuts...

Weird again.

Forum List

Back