Music Trivia

musicman said:
Not familiar with the specific song, but I'll take a guess - based on some of Young's other, autobiographical, material: Winnipeg?

Yep. Winnipeg it is.

How about the other song, do you know the title of the song?

Said1 said:
Yep. Winnipeg it is.

How about the other song, do you know the title of the song?

"Don't Be Denied" - from the ~ 1974 live album, "Time Fades Away". Quite a collection of songs, actually, considering that Neil's voice was a wreck at the time. Soulless record labels don't give a damn whether somebody needs a rest or not - "Crank it out, mister; we've got a contract". Even so, he did some of his finest work here - including my personal, all-time favorite, "Love in Mind". Are you familiar with it?

musicman said:
"Don't Be Denied" - from the ~ 1974 live album, "Time Fades Away". Quite a collection of songs, actually, considering that Neil's voice was a wreck at the time. Soulless record labels don't give a damn whether somebody needs a rest or not - "Crank it out, mister; we've got a contract". Even so, he did some of his finest work here - including my personal, all-time favorite, "Love in Mind". Are you familiar with it?

No, the song lyrics I posted before the Prarie Town question. . I don't know the title, just a few lyrics "let's make a fair trade, your heart for mine.....I'll be your slave, til the end of all time, let's make a fair trade, your heart for mine". It's an old country tune.

Said1 said:
No, the song lyrics I posted before the Prarie Town question. . I don't know the title, just a few lyrics "let's make a fair trade, your heart for mine.....I'll be your slave, til the end of all time, let's make a fair trade, your heart for mine". It's an old country tune.

Nope - 'fraid you got me there. Sounds awful pretty, though. I can't wait to find out what it is.

We'll just wait for dillo - he knows EVERYTHING! :)

musicman said:
Nope - 'fraid you got me there. Sounds awful pretty, though. I can't wait to find out what it is.

We'll just wait for dillo - he knows EVERYTHING! :)

This older gentlemen used to sing it at a tavern I go to on Thursdays. Sadly, he passed away and no one knows the title of the song or the artist!

A now-famous songwriter tried to get his first big break in Nashville, installing wood paneling at Acuff-Rose Studios. When Roy Acuff himself came striding down the hall, the songwriter seized the opportunity, grabbed a guitar, and started singing one of his compositions. He was informed by Acuff that "the only music I want to hear coming out of you is that @#$%^& powersaw".

That song was snatched up by another publisher, with - obviously - more on the ball than Roy Acuff, and became just one of the writer's many smash hits. Who was this writer?

musicman said:
A now-famous songwriter tried to get his first big break in Nashville, installing wood paneling at Acuff-Rose Studios. When Roy Acuff himself came striding down the hall, the songwriter seized the opportunity, grabbed a guitar, and started singing one of his compositions. He was informed by Acuff that "the only music I want to hear coming out of you is that @#$%^& powersaw".

That song was snatched up by another publisher, with - obviously - more on the ball than Roy Acuff, and became just one of the writer's many smash hits. Who was this writer?

Hmmm. Good question. I''m going to take a guess and say Willie Nelson, since he did write a lot of songs for others, back in the day.

I love his recording of "Crazy".

Said1 said:
Hmmm. Good question. I''m going to take a guess and say Willie Nelson, since he did write a lot of songs for others, back in the day.

I love his recording of "Crazy".

Nope - not Willie. Here's a hint: The songwriter finally got his break by plying his skill as a helicopter pilot (a little trade he'd picked up in Vietnam). He rented a chopper, landed it on a famous singer's back lawn, and told the man, "Hey - I've got a song I'd like you to hear".

The singer loved the writer's audacity, flipped over the song, and promptly recorded it. The rest is history.

musicman said:
Nope - not Willie. Here's a hint: The songwriter finally got his break by plying his skill as a helicopter pilot (a little trade he'd picked up in Vietnam). He rented a chopper, landed it on a famous singer's back lawn, and told the man, "Hey - I've got a song I'd like you to hear".

The singer loved the writer's audacity, flipped over the song, and promptly recorded it. The rest is history.

Jimmy Webb??

Can you give us another clue - like was this guy just a songwriter or was he a recording artists too? Can you give us some of his songs or some of the artists who recorded his songs?

Dr Grump said:
Jimmy Webb??

Good guess, Dr Grump - and one of my favorite writers. But, nope - not Jimmy Webb.

Can you give us another clue - like was this guy just a songwriter or was he a recording artists too? Can you give us some of his songs or some of the artists who recorded his songs?

He went on to record some of his own stuff, and enjoyed some success in the movies, as well.

The artist upon whose lawn he landed a helicopter was Johnny Cash. His songs were recorded by many artists, and - if I name the right one - I'll absolutely give the game away.

musicman said:
Good guess, Dr Grump - and one of my favorite writers. But, nope - not Jimmy Webb.

He went on to record some of his own stuff, and enjoyed some success in the movies, as well.

The artist upon whose lawn he landed a helicopter was Johnny Cash. His songs were recorded by many artists, and - if I name the right one - I'll absolutely give the game away.

This sounds very familiar (the story)...hhmmm...can't think for the life of me...

As an aside, and speaking of Jimmy Webb, what do you think of the song McArthur Park? I have seen it make several "worst ever songs" list. While the lyrics in the chorus are a bit naff, I've always thought the composition was awesome. Was really surprised to see it make the lists. What's your take on it, as a musician?

have to head out for a while, will look for you answer when I get back...

Dr Grump said:
This sounds very familiar (the story)...hhmmm...can't think for the life of me...

As an aside, and speaking of Jimmy Webb, what do you think of the song McArthur Park? I have seen it make several "worst ever songs" list. While the lyrics in the chorus are a bit naff, I've always thought the composition was awesome. Was really surprised to see it make the lists. What's your take on it, as a musician?

have to head out for a while, will look for you answer when I get back...

I think that to judge a song solely on its (perceived) lyrical content is don blinders, and willfully miss the point. A poem is a poem, and a song is a song. I think "McArthur Park" is brilliant. When read, as the poem it is clearly NOT, I'm sure it sounds quite daft. But, when sung - with feeling - across its magnificent musical backdrop, it becomes a heartfelt expression of so many human emotions; a journey we can all share.

Those "worst of" lists tend to put me off, anyhow. I get the sense that most are compiled by failed and bitter musicians or songwriters. Screw 'em! Mean people suck.

musicman said:
I think that to judge a song solely on its (perceived) lyrical content is don blinders, and willfully miss the point. A poem is a poem, and a song is a song. I think "McArthur Park" is brilliant. When read, as the poem it is clearly NOT, I'm sure it sounds quite daft. But, when sung - with feeling - across its magnificent musical backdrop, it becomes a heartfelt expression of so many human emotions; a journey we can all share.

Those "worst of" lists tend to put me off, anyhow. I get the sense that most are compiled by failed and bitter musicians or songwriters. Screw 'em! Mean people suck.

I agree with all the above.

Final attempt - Waylon Jennings (although he only did a little acting and I dunno if he flew choppers!)

Dr Grump said:
I agree with all the above.

Final attempt - Waylon Jennings (although he only did a little acting and I dunno if he flew choppers!)

Is that your final answer?

LOL - nope - Kris Kristofferson (sp.?)

He played "Help Me Make it Through the Night" for Roy Acuff and was told to get his ass back to work. He flew a helicopter in to Johnny Cash's back yard and played "Sunday Morning Comin' Down", and Cash flipped for it. It's kind of an inspirational story, I think. Just because the "in the know" people say you're wrong, that's no reason to quit - not if you know damned well you've got something!

musicman said:
Is that your final answer?

LOL - nope - Kris Kristofferson (sp.?)

He played "Help Me Make it Through the Night" for Roy Acuff and was told to get his ass back to work. He flew a helicopter in to Johnny Cash's back yard and played "Sunday Morning Comin' Down", and Cash flipped for it. It's kind of an inspirational story, I think. Just because the "in the know" people say you're wrong, that's no reason to quit - not if you know damned well you've got something!

Kris Kristofferson!! Never would have guessed. He flew helicopters? Was a captain? A Rhodes scholar? Wrote great songs?? Almost the perfect life!!

Forum List

Back