MSNBC opinion writer/editor loathes Top Gun: Maverick

Everything, everywhere is like taking a hit of acid in a strobe light factory.
Wild-wild movie.

It reminds me of movies made in the 60s and 70s where the writers and director were strung out on drugs and they thought what they were doing was hilarious

Everything all at once was just repetitive and annoying. Dildos, hotdog fingers stupid Kung fu scenes are not great comedy.

Last edited:
Top Gun is just the type of movie critics hate. Along with the Black Panther sequel. Popular, entertaining movies that did well in the box office.

Why were they nominated?
To get people to watch an otherwise boring Oscar broadcast full of movies nobody saw or liked and an audience full of actors nobody ever heard of.

They have no chance of actually winning as the Oscars will be heaped onto forgettable movies with boring acting

You might have a point here.

There are really too Hollywoods.

One of them is the machine that pumps out Popcorn Movies on a regular basis. They know they aren't producing high art, and a lot of it will be forgotten almost as soon as it comes out.

The other is this creative factory where they think that they are making high art.

Top Gun was one of only a few halfway watchable movies that came out of Hollywood last year. Most were miserable failures that hurt to watch...the pain only relieved by changing the channel, walking out of the theater, or pass out drunk after opening credits.

So for MSNBC commentator to opine about how it's just wrong on every level means that he absolutely has no skills or understanding as to what makes a movie work with the people.

(BTW....John Wick 4 is coming our later this month)

Even dumb movies can be done brilliantly. Arnold Swartzenegar's old Predator movie was dumb with bad lines and plot but the action, tempo, and development was brilliant. So the movie worked....I loved it.

Now they want a black transvestite to play tinkerbell in a Peter Pan remake....I wanna puke. I definitely don't want to have my shadow anywhere near the parking lot of a theater showing that crap.

Movies are supposed to be entertainment....not a laundry list of Hollywood style morality. And the Hollywood morality has always been the lowest rung of behavior that has a revolving door on the local jail...something always of a scandal. Most of Americans do not idolize Hollywood morality. In fact most Americans think Hollywood's morality is disgusting.

So....when Hollywood gets some talent and begins being entertaining again....maybe I'll actually pay attention to anything they put out....but in the meantime they are on my "ignore" list.
Movies started getting crappy about 10-15 years ago.
Fortunately, there are plenty of good movies available online to watch.

You might have a point here.

There are really too Hollywoods.

One of them is the machine that pumps out Popcorn Movies on a regular basis. They know they aren't producing high art, and a lot of it will be forgotten almost as soon as it comes out.

The other is this creative factory where they think that they are making high art.
Used to be that way where I never heard of the Oscar nominated movies but when I watched them I saw what was so good about them…..Great story, great acting, watchable.

Recent winners have been unwatchable. I can’t see rewatching any of them in ten years.

MSNBC opinion writer/editor Zeeshan Aleem blasted the uber-popular Top Gun: Maverick ahead of Sunday’s Oscars, arguing the movie is undeserving of golden statue glory and labeling it “insidious” for its positive portrayal of the U.S. military.

Aleem noted in a Saturday opinion column that it’s “remarkable” a popcorn movie like Top Gun could be nominated for Best Picture – it has a total of six nominations – though genre movies being nominated for the top prize has become more common in recent years thanks to the category expanding.

Top Gun is “as insidious as it is entertaining,” Aleem wrote. “It does not merely revive a forgotten human-centered spectacle; it also beckons for a return to accepting the American war machine as a beacon of virtue and excitement. It’s a poisonous kind of nostalgia, one that smuggles love of endless war into a celebration of live action.”

Top Gun: Maverick already found plenty of success in theaters, becoming the second highest-grossing movie of 2022. The sequel pulled in nearly $1.5 billion worldwide, more than $700 million of that from the U.S.

Comment:
MSNBC is a far left racist bigoted Democrat TV channel.
It provides a venue for angry genocidal bigots such as Zeeshan Aleen to spew their hate on.
There are plenty of backwards racist liberal movies for Aleen to watch.
Audiences are disgusted with the left wing hate being found in most movies being made nowadays.
Aleen's dirty little secret is that he hates America, and he wants to destroy western civilization and that is really why he loathes Top Gun: Maverick so much.
Haven't seen it. Was stationed at Miramar when the first one was made and Cruise did not make any friends while there. Don't get me wrong...it was great PR for Naval Aviation....but those of us at Miramar rolled our eyes.

Used to be that way where I never heard of the Oscar nominated movies but when I watched them I saw what was so good about them…..Great story, great acting, watchable.

Recent winners have been unwatchable. I can’t see rewatching any of them in ten years.
They don't always pick good movies...cases in point: The Piano and The English Patient.

Forum List

Back