The joke(s) are on tax payers

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
The good news continues to roll in for the box office record-breaking film “Joker.” Earlier this month, star Joaquin Phoenix won a Golden Globe for his performance, and now the film has been nominated for an industry-leading 11 Oscars. This is on top of becoming the highest worldwide-grossing R-rated film, exceeding $1 billion in global box office sales.

If “Joker” wins, taxpayers deserve to share the Oscar, since they forked over 18% of the production costs — an estimated $9.9 million in subsidies. Meanwhile, the movie is projected to earn its Hollywood investors more than $600 million in profit — making it one of the most profitable movies of all time.

New York, where most of the filming took place, and New Jersey, whose gritty areas stood in for 1980s New York City, are far from the only states to subsidize filming. In 2017, more than 30 states did it, totaling $1.7 billion. The most recent data has California ($330 million), New York ($420 million) and Georgia ($870 million) as the biggest spenders.

Hit film 'Joker' cost New Yorkers $9.9 million. Looks like the joke's on taxpayers.
American citizens are left footing the bill for megarich Hollywood filmmakers. 'Joker' is only the tip of the iceberg.

I watched a movie the other night with Jokin Phoenix- I don't think he was acting- reminds me of another joker,
Mickey Rourke- or Deniro in The Untouchables- scary crazy and I don't think they were acting.

Forum List

Back