Mossberg 835

Clement

A REAL free thinker
Mar 8, 2014
A few days ago I went to a gun store with my brother and spotted a Mossberg 835 3-1/2 inch 12 gage in the used rack:

108cvvm.jpg

I got it for a good price but I didn't get the stock choke set with it. Instead, it came with a "Pure Gold" choke marked "modified".

By all accounts everybody who uses these loves them, does anybody here have any experience with them?

Disclaimer: This is not my gun, just a picture that looks like it.

they are big, heavy guns, needed for firing the 3.5" shell without beating the hell out of you. Normally, such loads are useful only for extended range shooting at waterfowl or turkeys? Do you do enough of that to make it worth the additional weight, basically is the question. I"m almost certain that the gun can fire normal length 2 3/4" shells, also, but you're still lugging around the heavier gun, with the longer stroke on the pump action.

they are big, heavy guns, needed for firing the 3.5" shell without beating the hell out of you. Normally, such loads are useful only for extended range shooting at waterfowl or turkeys? Do you do enough of that to make it worth the additional weight, basically is the question. I"m almost certain that the gun can fire normal length 2 3/4" shells, also, but you're still lugging around the heavier gun, with the longer stroke on the pump action.

I used to own one of these, I know a lot more about it than you do. My last one didn't have the camo finish, this one does. Yes, it shoots 2-3/4 shells and 3". In boot camp I toted an M1 around with me everywhere I went, this one is light by comparison. How about you, did you ever actually serve or are you just another Walter Mitty type?

And yes, you can take anything that walks or flies with it, which is why I have it.

Last edited:
I volunteerd for Nam in 71, shipped out with orders there in 72, but got diverted at the last minute, while on TDY in Okinawa. If you carried a garand, you were either Navy or you're 75+ years old, cause we went to the M14 in 1957.

I very much doubt that you know more than me about ANY gun, actually. Cause I've forgotten more than almost anybody knows about them.

I volunteerd for Nam in 71, shipped out with orders there in 72, but got diverted at the last minute, while on TDY in Okinawa. If you carried a garand, you were either Navy or you're 75+ years old, cause we went to the M14 in 1957.

You had orders to go there as we were withdrawing?

I very much doubt that you know more than me about ANY gun, actually. Cause I've forgotten more than almost anybody knows about them.

You forgot to mention that you were modest.

If you know so much what do you have to say about the choke?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back