Mormons?

John 10:31-36
31 Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him.
32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
34 Jesus answered them, Is it not written in your law, I said, Ye are gods?
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Why would Jesus call us gods if there is only one God?

Another typical Mormon doctrine. Notice the small case "g". Where is that Scripture from?

That's from the same KJV Bible that you surely use. With the same use of capitals and lower case as what onefour1 quoted. I just googled to verify that it is not just our edition, but all editions of the KJV that make that use of upper and lower cases, and even at least one or two other non-KJV versions.

What is it that you are trying to dispute, here? It seems that any disagreement on your part is with the Bible itself, or at least with the KJV.
Mormonism doesn't rightly divide the Word. Read this.

According to Biblehub.com the Hebrew word for "gods" in Psalms 82:6 is "Elohim". It is the same word that is used in Genesis 1:1 for God where it is written:

Genesis 1:1
1 In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

So we see that the word "Elohim" is Hebrew and has the meaning of God or gods as the translators of the Bible correctly translated. Yes it is true that it has also been used for other words, but the proof that it was used for the word "gods" is John 10:31-36. The context of these verses bring the true meaning of the word in Psalms 82:6 to mean "gods" and not "judges" since this is the only verse in the Old Testament that Jesus could have been referring to. I think the translators did a good job in this instance and Jesus himself verifies by the context of John 10:31-36 that "gods" is the true meaning of what is meant in Psalms 82:6. In John 10:34 the translation of "gods" comes from the greek word "Theoi" which is also the same word used in Mark 12:30 which says:

Mark 12:30
30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.

So you see that the same word is used as God. So I call smoke on your Hebrew argument.

Last edited:

I have up, a long time ago, on trying to read these lying anti-Mormon site,s or to argue with those who cite them, and who insist on taking such liars as a greater authority on what we Mormons do or do not believe, than what we actual Mormons say we do or do not believe.

If you want to find and cite some credible sources, then go ahead, but as long as you continue to cite these bullshit sources, you have no credibility, and you are not worthy of any response.

According to Biblehub.com
I didn't go to Biblehub. I went to Psalm 82 and the Hebrew. I've also read various rabbi scholars because the original meaning and context means a lot to me. I am merely sharing what I read.

I have no quarrel with how you (and others) to translate and interpret it. You are, after all, latter day saints with the latter day interpretation. I prefer the intent of the original author to his original audience.

I have up, a long time ago, on trying to read these lying anti-Mormon site,s or to argue with those who cite them, and who insist on taking such liars as a greater authority on what we Mormons do or do not believe, than what we actual Mormons say we do or do not believe.

If you want to find and cite some credible sources, then go ahead, but as long as you continue to cite these bullshit sources, you have no credibility, and you are not worthy of any response.
They are Christian sources, Bible scholars. I totally expect you to disagree with these teachings. I've been doing this quite a while, also with Jehovah's witnesses. Studying religious cults has been a hobby for many years off and on.

32 Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me?
33 The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.
35 If he called them gods, unto whom the word of God came, and the scripture cannot be broken;
36 Say ye of him, whom the Father hath sanctified, and sent into the world, Thou blasphemest; because I said, I am the Son of God?

Another typical Mormon doctrine. Notice the small case "g". Where is that Scripture from?

That's from the same KJV Bible that you surely use. With the same use of capitals and lower case as what onefour1 quoted. I just googled to verify that it is not just our edition, but all editions of the KJV that make that use of upper and lower cases, and even at least one or two other non-KJV versions.

What is it that you are trying to dispute, here? It seems that any disagreement on your part is with the Bible itself, or at least with the KJV.

The breaking of the word of God by anti-mormons, which you often quote, hold no weight with the faithful. Jesus said:

John 10:34-35

In other words, it means what it means and it is in this context in which Jesus used it to mean "gods".

Last edited:
According to Biblehub.com
I didn't go to Biblehub. I went to Psalm 82 and the Hebrew. I've also read various rabbi scholars because the original meaning and context means a lot to me. I am merely sharing what I read.

I have no quarrel with how you (and others) to translate and interpret it. You are, after all, latter day saints with the latter day interpretation. I prefer the intent of the original author to his original audience.

Jesus is the original author of what He has said. His context verifies what he meant.

Jesus is the original author of what He has said. His context verifies what he meant.
I don't agree with your interpretation of this. Think about it. Were Jesus' accuser placated with his words? No, they were not. They, even more so than we, understood the context of those words.

The breaking of the word of God by anti-mormons, which you often quote, hold no weight with the faithful. Jesus said:

In other words, it means what it means and it is in this context in which Jesus used it to mean "gods".
So you believe that Scripture is saying that YOU can become God. Is that correct?

We lived in a predominately Mormon community for seven years. At the time our sons were young.

We were the only Christians that lived on my street. Everybody else LDS.

When we first got there the neighbors were super friendly.

However, once they found out we were Lutheran and would not be attending their church they shut us off. We never had any bad words or anything, just politely declining to go to their church.

My wife and I didn't care because we had other friends. However, the Mormons also would not let their children play with our children. That really pissed me off. Our sons did not understand why the neighborhood kids wouldn't associate with them. Even the ones they went to school with. That was a crappy thing to do.

This is the English translation of Psalm 82:6 from Hebrew according to BibleHub's interlinear bible translation. see BibleHub.com

1606086681395.png

This is the English translation of Psalm 82:6
As I said, I dig more deeply than Bible Hub, and I prefer original context and intent of the original author and what he was communicating to his original audience.

People of the LDS faith wish to see it differently, as do those who believe any modern English translation should be taken literally.

We lived in a predominately Mormon community for seven years. At the time our sons were young.

However, once they found out we were Lutheran and would not be attending their church they shut us off. We never had any bad words or anything, just politely declining to go to their church.

My wife and I didn't care because we had other friends. However, the Mormons also would not let their children play with our children. That really pissed me off. Our sons did not understand why the neighborhood kids wouldn't associate with them. Even the ones they went to school with. That was a crappy thing to do.

Utah or Idaho ?

And I would agree.....that was crappy.

In 1999, members were asked to reconsider such attitudes...

Utah or Idaho ?

Washington State.

I was in management at a large facility with many employees. One of the biggest HR problems we had was the LDS managers showing favoritism to their fellow LDS members.

We arrive there in 1996 and left in 2003. By the time we left the message of that video had not trickled down to the ones we knew.

I could tell several other stories.

Mormons are great people. I have a lot of respect for them. However, they are clannish.

Utah or Idaho ?

Washington State.

I was in management at a large facility with many employees. One of the biggest HR problems we had was the LDS managers showing favoritism to their fellow LDS members.

We arrive there in 1996 and left in 2003. By the time we left the message of that video had not trickled down to the ones we knew.

Mormons are great people. I have a lot of respect for them. However, they are clannish.

For many years, the church has been seen as a something of a hard shell to penetrate.

Which is very unfortunate.

I can speculate on reasons why, but it would be just speculation.

I do know that we can get caught up in tradition and let it replace doctrine. One tradition seems to be the US vs. The World where everything not LDS is The World. This is not a concept I agree with. I know many people who don't "practice" religion but are much better persons than I am. They have strong internal moral compasses and they follow them closely.

I've seen LDS parents forbid their kids from playing with other LDS kids (who came from borken homes or homes where one or both parents were less active). Very shallow thinking.

In long time LDS areas such as Utah, there are very strong traditions that simply seem contradictory to what we are taught regarding our fellowman.

Utah or Idaho ?

Washington State.

For many years, the church has been seen as a something of a hard shell to penetrate.

I do know that we can get caught up in tradition and let it replace doctrine. One tradition seems to be the US vs. The World where everything not LDS is The World. This is not a concept I agree with. I know many people who don't "practice" religion but are much better persons than I am. They have strong internal moral compasses and they follow them closely.

I understand the reason why they are close knit. They have been persecuted in this country for their religion.

Even though we were socially ostracized in our neighborhood for not being LDS there is no doubt in my mind that if we ever needed help we would have been flooded with kindness and support from our LDS neighbors.

By the way, by being "ostracized" I don't mean they were unfriendly. We just were not included in anything soically or their kids were not allow to socialized with our kids. It was never hostile.

Utah or Idaho ?

Washington State.

I understand the reason why they are close knit. They have been persecuted in this country for their religion.

Even though we were socially ostracized in our neighborhood for not being LDS there is no doubt in my mind that if we ever needed help we would have been flooded with kindness and support from our LDS neighbors.

By the way, by being "ostracized" I don't mean they were unfriendly. We just were not included in anything soically or their kids were not allow to socialized with our kids. It was never hostile.

Thank you for that.

Generally speaking...and I do mean generally.....I wish mormons were more in touch with their communities. They can take many of the skills they learn from the callings and ministries they serve in and apply them in the community to the benefit of all.

Appreciate that you don't sound bitter.

So you believe that Scripture is saying that YOU can become God. Is that correct?

The scripture is saying exactly what it is saying, "I said ye are gods". In this context, Jesus is telling us that we are gods. But what does he mean by this? We believe that we (those of us on this earth) are the literal offspring of God our Heavenly Father.

Acts 17:28-29
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

We believe that Gods beget gods. As his literal children, God refers to us as gods. Not that we rule over God's kingdom or that others on this earth should look to us as a god whom they should worship but that we are of the same species as God our Heavenly Father.

We believe that we, before coming to this earth, lived with God as spirits and are his literal offspring in spirit. This is why he is our Father in Heaven. There was a war in heaven before we all came to this earth where part of the children of God rebelled against God and were cast out of heaven into this earth. They became the devil and his angels. The rest of God's children sided with our Father and we were allowed to come to this earth and receive bodies of flesh and bones.

Revelation 12:7-11
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Consider this great scene in heaven where Michael and his angels fought against the devil and his angels. Who were Michael and angels? How does Michael and his angels overcome the devil and his angels? Verse 11 tells us. They overcome him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony. They also loved not their lives unto the death. Who is it that needs the blood of the Lamb to overcome Satan? Is it not we who are on the earth? It says that those who overcome love not their lives unto the death. Who, other than we mortals, need Jesus' blood to overcome the devil and who suffer death. Is it not we who were there with Michael as his angels in the premortal existence who fought against the dragon? Are we not now in need of the blood of the Lamb? These verses are evidence that we lived in the presence of God before coming to this earth and all who have received bodies on this earth were faithful and sided with God in the war of heaven. You were there! You are a literal child of our Father in heaven. You are a god. This why Jesus refers to the Father's children as gods.

Job 38:3-7
3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Yes it is true that we do believe that among the very faithful of God's children that they can become like him in all respects.

Matthew 5:48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

It is the desire of God that we become like him. Would the Lord give us a commandment to become as perfect as our Father in heaven if it was not something that is possible?

John 17:20-23
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

1 John 3:2-3
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

We believe that the verses In Isaiah which refers to there being only one God and beside Him there is no God is in reference to this world and that on this earth we worship none other but Him. He is the true God of this world and there are no other Gods that apply to us on this earth whom we should worship. We shouldn't worship any of the children of God other than Jesus Christ whom the father has sent. The rest of us are gods in the sense that we are the children of God and are of the same species, but we are not to be considered as God (with a capital G). God is God and we are his and are to worship him and him alone. However, we do believe that we can become perfect just as our Father in Heaven is perfect. We believe that in the eternities if faithful, we too can become a father or mother of our own spirit children and have our own kingdoms which will add to the glory of our Father in Heaven. Just as in this world, we grow up and become parents of our own children, we believe this is an eternal pattern for the faithful in eternity. We believe we can grow up to become like our Father and Mother in heaven. If you become one with the Father, you will never oppose the will of the Father.

The Apostle Paul taught:

1 Corinthians 8:4-6
4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Here the Apostle Paul is speaking of eating things that are offered to idols and says that "Idols are nothing in the world and that there is none other God but one." Then Paul clarifies that there be gods many, and lords many but that to us there is but one God, the Father and one Lord Jesus Christ. Here Paul clarifies that there are gods many and lords many, but for us here on earth there is but one God. Just as on earth there are father and mothers many but to each of us there is but one father and mother from whom we are born and belong to. For sure, on earth, there be those that are called gods and we know this because Jesus himself has called us gods. There will be some of us who go to heaven and thus we see that there are those also in heaven who are called gods. But we do not worship them but only the God to whom we belong, our Father in heaven.

Last edited:
What I like about my faith is that it is not only sound in doctrine but that it is accompanied by the Spirit of Truth which has testified to my soul of its truthfulness.
There's a King James Only Bible and too much other literature.
I happen to prefer the King James Bible because I tend to find the mose awful, atrocious misinterpretations in other editions.

The scripture is saying exactly what it is saying, "I said ye are gods". In this context, Jesus is telling us that we are gods. But what does he mean by this? We believe that we (those of us on this earth) are the literal offspring of God our Heavenly Father.

Acts 17:28-29
28 For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man’s device.

We believe that Gods beget gods. As his literal children, God refers to us as gods. Not that we rule over God's kingdom or that others on this earth should look to us as a god whom they should worship but that we are of the same species as God our Heavenly Father.

We believe that we, before coming to this earth, lived with God as spirits and are his literal offspring in spirit. This is why he is our Father in Heaven. There was a war in heaven before we all came to this earth where part of the children of God rebelled against God and were cast out of heaven into this earth. They became the devil and his angels. The rest of God's children sided with our Father and we were allowed to come to this earth and receive bodies of flesh and bones.

Revelation 12:7-11
7 And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,
8 And prevailed not; neither was their place found any more in heaven.
9 And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
10 And I heard a loud voice saying in heaven, Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down, which accused them before our God day and night.
11 And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony; and they loved not their lives unto the death.

Consider this great scene in heaven where Michael and his angels fought against the devil and his angels. Who were Michael and angels? How does Michael and his angels overcome the devil and his angels? Verse 11 tells us. They overcome him by the blood of the Lamb, and by the word of their testimony. They also loved not their lives unto the death. Who is it that needs the blood of the Lamb to overcome Satan? Is it not we who are on the earth? It says that those who overcome love not their lives unto the death. Who, other than we mortals, need Jesus' blood to overcome the devil and who suffer death. Is it not we who were there with Michael as his angels in the premortal existence who fought against the dragon? Are we not now in need of the blood of the Lamb? These verses are evidence that we lived in the presence of God before coming to this earth and all who have received bodies on this earth were faithful and sided with God in the war of heaven. You were there! You are a literal child of our Father in heaven. You are a god. This why Jesus refers to the Father's children as gods.

Job 38:3-7
3 Gird up now thy loins like a man; for I will demand of thee, and answer thou me.
4 Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding.
5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it?
6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof;
7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

Yes it is true that we do believe that among the very faithful of God's children that they can become like him in all respects.

Matthew 5:48
48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

It is the desire of God that we become like him. Would the Lord give us a commandment to become as perfect as our Father in heaven if it was not something that is possible?

John 17:20-23
20 Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word;
21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.

1 John 3:2-3
2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
3 And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

We believe that the verses In Isaiah which refers to there being only one God and beside Him there is no God is in reference to this world and that on this earth we worship none other but Him. He is the true God of this world and there are no other Gods that apply to us on this earth whom we should worship. We shouldn't worship any of the children of God other than Jesus Christ whom the father has sent. The rest of us are gods in the sense that we are the children of God and are of the same species, but we are not to be considered as God (with a capital G). God is God and we are his and are to worship him and him alone. However, we do believe that we can become perfect just as our Father in Heaven is perfect. We believe that in the eternities if faithful, we too can become a father or mother of our own spirit children and have our own kingdoms which will add to the glory of our Father in Heaven. Just as in this world, we grow up and become parents of our own children, we believe this is an eternal pattern for the faithful in eternity. We believe we can grow up to become like our Father and Mother in heaven. If you become one with the Father, you will never oppose the will of the Father.

The Apostle Paul taught:

1 Corinthians 8:4-6
4 As concerning therefore the eating of those things that are offered in sacrifice unto idols, we know that an idol is nothing in the world, and that there is none other God but one.
5 For though there be that are called gods, whether in heaven or in earth, (as there be gods many, and lords many,)
6 But to us there is but one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Here the Apostle Paul is speaking of eating things that are offered to idols and says that "Idols are nothing in the world and that there is none other God but one." Then Paul clarifies that there be gods many, and lords many but that to us there is but one God, the Father and one Lord Jesus Christ. Here Paul clarifies that there are gods many and lords many, but for us here on earth there is but one God. Just as on earth there are father and mothers many but to each of us there is but one father and mother from whom we are born and belong to. For sure, on earth, there be those that are called gods and we know this because Jesus himself has called us gods. There will be some of us who go to heaven and thus we see that there are those also in heaven who are called gods. But we do not worship them but only the God to whom we belong, our Father in heaven.
Do you believe that you will be a God and be a heavenly father on another planet?

Forum List

Back