More reality and I really wish I wasn't right about this...

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
This morning I learned a vendor I have known since the mid 90s is closing his business. He opened the plant in 1978.
Survived many economic downs, survived 2009 - 2012... but could not survive the material shortages and inability to hire staff.
He use to have 36 employees. Now 12, needs 20. But the inability to get plastic coil was the last straw.
This afternoon I learned the local GM Plant is laying off 20% of the workers next spring. Another 20% by the end of 2022. With the plant closing it's doors for good by 2024. This plant use to employ 2200 full time employees.
This afternoon I was talking to the largest envelope supplier in the U.S. - they are 17,000,000 behind orders. Cannot get the paper to convert to envelopes as European mills are no longer shipping to the U.S. due to enormous increases in shipment cost and shipping delays. Chinese paper, not a chance. And so many U.S. mills shuttered years ago, unable to compete with government owned/subsidized Chinese paper - they can't get paper.

The domino layoffs are coming. The domino business closures are coming.

Sounds like your observations are anecdotal.

Where in the hell are they working then? Nobody can get any help, here in Kentucky, and the state of Pennsylvania where I'm moving too, can't get help either.

This afternoon I learned the local GM Plant is laying off 20% of the workers next spring. Another 20% by the end of 2022. With the plant closing it's doors for good by 2024. This plant use to employ 2200 full time employees.

The domino layoffs are coming. The domino business closures are coming.
The big GM layoff specifically is because China has taken over the industry and a company in America can't compete. China is soon going to be flooding the world's markets with very high quality electrics.

The US will wage an economic war against China but hopefully not a hot military war.

Extra closures. Not antidotal, not fabricated, just what is really happening. I know lefties can't understand why but it really doesn't matter, in the real world businesses struggled and many shut their doors.

Where in the hell are they working then? Nobody can get any help, here in Kentucky, and the state of Pennsylvania where I'm moving too, can't get help either.
Several factors in that.
One - a very large number of people took early retirements this year. They are no longer counted in the work force. That makes the jobless rate drop, without a single person getting hired.
Two - with the Covid windfall millions of Americans received, that they did not need, coupled with "voluntary rent" - which means they didn't pay rent, and it was just two months ago they lost the Covid unemployment gift - but still have the EIC gifts. These people have been unemployed long enough - they dropped out of the workforce. They made the jobless rate drop - without a single job being added.
We all can see. We have Goddamn eyes. We can see the "We're hiring" signs all over the place. I frankly know of almost no manufacturing plants, and I know a damn lot of them, that are not short workers. But what they are even more short of is SUPPLIES and MATERIALS.
Those that have been hiring, are slowing down hiring. They have orders, but they can't fulfill them. By spring, those Now Hiring signs will be gone - mark my word. Go ahead bookmark this page and show me I am wrong by March.
The domino layoffs are coming.

Extra closures. Not antidotal, not fabricated, just what is really happening. I know lefties can't understand why but it really doesn't matter, in the real world businesses struggled and many shut their doors.
Sounds to me that offball can't handle the news!

I would suggest that Biden should rebuild some bridges with China as quickly as possible. China isn't going to gift America with what China now owns but they will likely turn somersaults to compromise and avoid a confrontation that's going to do great harm to both countries.

Can American arrogance tolerate such an olive branch?

I would suggest that Biden should rebuild some bridges with China as quickly as possible. China isn't going to gift America with what China now owns but they will likely turn somersaults to compromise and avoid a confrontation that's going to do great harm to both countries.

mind your own business,,

Several factors in that.
One - a very large number of people took early retirements this year. They are no longer counted in the work force. That makes the jobless rate drop, without a single person getting hired.
Two - with the Covid windfall millions of Americans received, that they did not need, coupled with "voluntary rent" - which means they didn't pay rent, and it was just two months ago they lost the Covid unemployment gift - but still have the EIC gifts. These people have been unemployed long enough - they dropped out of the workforce. They made the jobless rate drop - without a single job being added.
We all can see. We have Goddamn eyes. We can see the "We're hiring" signs all over the place. I frankly know of almost no manufacturing plants, and I know a damn lot of them, that are not short workers. But what they are even more short of is SUPPLIES and MATERIALS.
Those that have been hiring, are slowing down hiring. They have orders, but they can't fulfill them. By spring, those Now Hiring signs will be gone - mark my word. Go ahead bookmark this page and show me I am wrong by March.
The domino layoffs are coming.
Hiring signs for a future at MacD's?
America's service industry is very alive and well!
And China isn't shipping over hamburgers still hot off the grill yet!

Like those olive branches the CCP is using to beat the shit out of Canada? Like those, duck? HaHaHa, you're showing that you are a Sino-Russian troll again.

mind your own business,,
Conversations are just feel good pablum if they're limited to the popular scenarios being created.
Let's talk about the big business of making electric cars and leave the hamburger flipping jobs on the back burner for a while.

Conversations are just feel good pablum if they're limited to the popular scenarios being created.
Let's talk about the big business of making electric cars and leave the hamburger flipping jobs on the back burner for a while.
you dont have conversations,,
youre a foreigner thats constantly telling us how bad we are,,

Hey numb nuts, EVs will take at LEAST 30% less of a workforce to build than conventional cars.
But keep posting... we are learning just how little you know, and will soon ignore you altogether.

What is offball? The news is small business took the brunt of the pandemic. I'm not sure rewarding China for lying about the pandemic is a correct step.

China has been less than honest in their dealings with the United States, why deal with them and their sub-quality crap? Let's see lead paint in children's toys, contaminated drywall, poor working conditions, people losing fingers in Chinese factories. Very poor working conditions, slave wages. All reasons NOT to do business with China. How about you invite China to help you with your infrastructure and we'll see how it goes,

What is offball? The news is small business took the brunt of the pandemic. I'm not sure rewarding China for lying about the pandemic is a correct step.

China has been less than honest in their dealings with the United States, why deal with them and their sub-quality crap? Let's see lead paint in children's toys, contaminated drywall, poor working conditions, people losing fingers in Chinese factories. Very poor working conditions, slave wages. All reasons NOT to do business with China. How about you invite China to help you with your infrastructure and we'll see how it goes,
The SF-Oakland bay bridge project figured they would do that and saved money on cheap Chinese bolts to hold it all together. Less than a year later, the malfeasance was brought to light by failures of the fasteners and they all had to be replaced at a greater cost to taxpayers. Yeah, that CCP shit is great for your infrastructure--As good as Wuhan is to public health.

Forum List

Back