More Guns, More Murder

If ya love guns and gun ownership, if you believe that the easy access to guns is a good thing?

Move to FLORIDA.

Everybody seems not only to own guns but also has the right to carry there.

Here's a state-by-state- thumbnail of crime stats.

Basically when I look at this I don't see a whole lot of support that guns make us safe or unsafe.

What I see is correlations with other factors like poverty urban v rural and (gotta admit it) race numbers effecting crime.

Crime Rate by State, 2011 | Infoplease.com

What do guns have to do with these stats? You do know that crime even violent crimes happens with no guns involved.

I'm guessing this is just more dishonesty coming from yet another idiot libturd.

Florida is not even in the top five states for gun ownership. The stats only serve the desire to have them all confiscated. Jesus at least look up something if you want it to appear like your agenda is something else Editdiditdidit.

Last edited:
The largest study of gun violence in the United States, released Thursday afternoon, confirms a point that should be obvious: widespread American gun ownership is fueling America’s gun violence epidemic.

The study, by Professor Michael Siegel at Boston University and two coauthors, has been peer-reviewed and is forthcoming in the American Journal of Public Health. Siegel and his colleagues compiled data on firearm homicides from all 50 states from 1981-2010, the longest stretch of time ever studied in this fashion, and set about seeing whether they could find any relationship between changes in gun ownership and murder using guns over time.

Since we know that violent crime rates overall declined during that period of time, the authors used something called “fixed effect regression” to account for any national trend other than changes in gun ownership. They also employed the largest-ever number of statistical controls for other variables in this kind of gun study: “age, gender, race/ethnicity, urbanization, poverty, unemployment, income, education, income inequality, divorce rate, alcohol use, violent crime rate, nonviolent crime rate, hate crime rate, number of hunting licenses, age-adjusted nonfirearm homicide rate, incarceration rate,and suicide rate” were all accounted for.

No good data on national rates of gun ownership exist (partly because of the NRA’s stranglehold on Congress), so the authors used the percentage of suicides that involve a firearm (FS/S) as a proxy. The theory, backed up by a wealth of data, is that the more guns there are any in any one place, the higher the percentage of people who commit suicide with guns as opposed to other mechanisms will be.

With all this preliminary work in hand, the authors ran a series of regressions to see what effect the overall national decline in firearm ownership from 1981 to 2010 had on gun homicides. The result was staggering: “for each 1 percentage point increase in proportion of household gun ownership,” Siegel et al. found, “firearm homicide rate increased by 0.9″ percent. A one standard deviation change in firearm ownership shifted gun murders by a staggering 12.9 percent.

To put this in perspective, take the state of Mississippi. “All other factors being equal,” the authors write, “our model would predict that if the FS/S in Mississippi were 57.7% (the average for all states) instead of 76.8% (the highest of all states), its firearm homicide rate would be 17% lower.” Since 475 people were murdered with a gun in Mississippi in 2010, that drop in gun ownership would translate to 80 lives saved in that year alone.

Of course, the authors don’t find that rates of gun ownership explain all of America’s gun violence epidemic: race, economic inequality and generally violent areas all contribute to an area’s propensity for gun deaths, suggesting that broader social inequality, not gun ownership alone, contributes to the gun violence epidemic. Nevertheless, the fact that gun ownership mattered even when race and poverty were accounted for suggests that we can’t avoid talking about America’s fascination with guns when debating what to do about the roughly 11,000 Americans who are yearly murdered by gunfire.

Largest Gun Study Ever: More Guns, More Murder | ThinkProgress

Once more the political party position on an issue seems reversed from how it should be. With national uprisings in the middle east, ongoing ones in Egypt, Syria, and Ukraine, chance of it happening here in the US is going up. As more and more hay is made out of income inequality, the chance of an American Revolution like the French had toppling their "1%'ers" seems to be increasing in likelyhood. So Republicans supporting gun rights are strengthening the position of the ones who eventually be putting their heads on pikes. :) Similarly, they oppose abortion which makes more ethnic minorities who'll be Democrat.

More guns equals more gun violence. Though I'm all for private gun ownership (with a few common-sense provisos like required combat shooting classes for concealed-carry, no felony convictions, waiting periods, etc.) I didn't need another academic study to convince me of what to me at least is a no-duh truism. Nice to have it of course, more the merrier.

"Guns save lives" is like saying "smoking cures cancer". If these people had a brain, they'd take it out and play with it.

Yet you think police should have guns be cause they save lives. I guess that really means that you have a position that you can't actually defend, so you say stupid things.

"Guns save lives" is like saying "smoking cures cancer".

Ya, during WWII the Allies got the Nazis to stop with calm rational discussion and time-outs.

"There is a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that battle must come, I will fight it." - King Arthur, "First Knight"

Last edited:
"Guns save lives" is like saying "smoking cures cancer".

Ya, during WWII the Allies got the Nazis to stop with calm rational discussion and time-outs.

"There is a peace only to be found on the other side of war. If that battle must come, I will fight it." - King Arthur, "First Knight"

Oh Gawd

The lament of a philosopher!!:D:D:eusa_dance:

Pretzel logic is gay!!!!

Many people believe that owning guns only increases the amount of crime. However, a recent study published in the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy concluded that there is a negative correlation between gun ownership and violent crime in countries internationally. In other words, the more guns the less crime. The study showed that nations with strict gun control laws have substantially higher murder rates than those who do not. In fact, the 9 European nations with the lowest gun ownership rate have a combined murder rate that is three times that of the nine European nations with the highest gun ownership rate.

Harvard University s0n!!! Does Owning Guns Reduce Crime?

Like I said.......limpwristed philosophy is gay.:coffee:

If ya love guns and gun ownership, if you believe that the easy access to guns is a good thing?

Move to FLORIDA.

Basically when I look at this I don't see a whole lot of support that guns make us safe or unsafe.

What I see is correlations with other factors like poverty urban v rural and (gotta admit it) race numbers effecting crime.

Did you happen to notice that by your stats DC with it's very strict gun laws has about 2 to 5 times the violent crime rate of the listed states (including Fla.) according to the FBI?

:eusa_shhh:

You'll shatter his illusions.....or should that be "delusions"?

Signed,
Gun-carrying Floridian
:clap2:

"Guns save lives" is like saying "smoking cures cancer". If these people had a brain, they'd take it out and play with it.

Yet you think police should have guns be cause they save lives. I guess that really means that you have a position that you can't actually defend, so you say stupid things.

He needs his nanny state and uncle Sam to protect him.
He's obviously incapable of doing it for himself.

sad

The fact that absolutely disproves the claim of "more guns = more murder":

The number of guns in the US goes up by millions each year, while the number of murders has declined over at least the last 20.

/discussion

Last edited:

Move to FLORIDA.

What do guns have to do with these stats? You do know that crime even violent crimes happens with no guns involved.

I'm guessing this is just more dishonesty coming from yet another idiot libturd.
Indeed -- about 70% of violent crime does not involve a gun.

The stupidity of the left. If I already own a gun why a waiting period or background check if I want to buy another one . no matter what you say it still adds up to stupid. I'm a Vietnam vet who owns quite a few guns and was told to kill vc who I did not know... And you think in my life time you might try to take my guns. I doubt it.

Last edited:
Guns don't just go off. Someone must pull the trigger. Guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns. And a gun has never saved a life, they only shoot bullets.

Guns don't just go off. Someone must pull the trigger. Guns don't kill people, people kill people with guns. And a gun has never saved a life, they only shoot bullets.

So, were you born with severe brain damage? Did you pick up a parasite?

Real story.

My ex was a crazy bitch. She was bad news all around. She was into drugs - meth - and associated with bad people. (I was incredibly naive/willfully ignorant at the time). While I would be off at school and work for 16 hours a day, she would be involved with bad people.

One night, one of her drug buddies kicked in our side door with machete in his hand, promising to hack her into bits, then come after me, then our 3 children.

I pulled my .44 revolver and forced him to drop the machete, and lay down until the cops showed up. When they got there 40 minutes later, they arrested him, then arrested me for brandishing a weapon in a rude and threatening manner.

I learned a few things that night. Guns save lives. Cops don't save lives and are part of the criminal element.

Now the reality is that you a partisan hack who knows you are lying - guns save lives all the time. You seek to end civil rights, as does your shameful party, so you lie.

But your lie is stupid - really stupid.

So, were you born with severe brain damage? Did you pick up a parasite?

Real story.

My ex was a crazy bitch. She was bad news all around. She was into drugs - meth - and associated with bad people. (I was incredibly naive/willfully ignorant at the time). While I would be off at school and work for 16 hours a day, she would be involved with bad people.

One night, one of her drug buddies kicked in our side door with machete in his hand, promising to hack her into bits, then come after me, then our 3 children.

I pulled my .44 revolver and forced him to drop the machete, and lay down until the cops showed up. When they got there 40 minutes later, they arrested him, then arrested me for brandishing a weapon in a rude and threatening manner.

I learned a few things that night. Guns save lives. Cops don't save lives and are part of the criminal element.

Now the reality is that you a partisan hack who knows you are lying - guns save lives all the time. You seek to end civil rights, as does your shameful party, so you lie.

But your lie is stupid - really stupid.

its the laws that are fucked up. check this out. in NY, if someone breaks into your house witha gun and you are a legal gun owner, you have to first notify him you are armed and will shoot. He can just pop you, but the laws says you have to notify him. also if he runs, even still holding the gun, you can not shoot him. he may just be running for cover behind a piece of furniture or something, but you can't shoot him. so now you are standing in the open and he is behind cover. liberal laws.

Wow. Good to see that you are at least teachable. Guns are a tool. They aren't the problem. Getting rid of them will solve nothing. Take away hammers and someone will figure out a way to drive nails. The problem is people. That's what you have to fix. Taking guns away will not keep a mentally unstable person from killing another. They will just find another tool. For instance.....

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/01/22/girl-14-charged-with-killing-11-year-old-girl-in-mundelein/

Last edited:
its the laws that are fucked up. check this out. in NY, if someone breaks into your house witha gun and you are a legal gun owner, you have to first notify him you are armed and will shoot. He can just pop you, but the laws says you have to notify him. also if he runs, even still holding the gun, you can not shoot him. he may just be running for cover behind a piece of furniture or something, but you can't shoot him. so now you are standing in the open and he is behind cover. liberal laws.

This was in Azusa, California. It came out a few years later that the City was part of the drug trade with the mayor and chief of police going to jail.

The idiot I had the altercation with was "protected." And of course the cops were sure that I was somehow involved in the drugs. The DA declined to prosecute me, naturally. I still sat in jail for 2 days.

Cops are just another violent street gang. It's sad, but it's true.

This was in Azusa, California. It came out a few years later that the City was part of the drug trade with the mayor and chief of police going to jail.

The idiot I had the altercation with was "protected." And of course the cops were sure that I was somehow involved in the drugs. The DA declined to prosecute me, naturally. I still sat in jail for 2 days.

some are. we had a cop in our town rob a bank, while on duty. then when the call comes in he is the guy allegedly pursuing the robber.

Good greif, these gun-grabbers are still at it.

Race has a lot more to do with murder rates than anything else. Its funny how libs will compare the US to Europe, claiming its their gun laws that make the difference, while ignoring the fact that blacks and other minorities make up a fraction of the population compared to the US.

If we kept criminals locked up and prevent thugs from immigrating to the US, we'd see murder rates drop big time.

The problem is, if we locked up criminals, Dems wouldn't win very many elections.

Some years ago I was carjacked. It was in the middle of a Sunday afternoon in a grocery store parking lot. The court wanted to let him go. I fought to get him put behind bars. As my punishment my personal information, home address, home telephone number, work address, work telephone number was given to the defendant who gave it to his homies to teach me a lesson. I got a gun. At 4am, one of the buddies was kicking in my door. I did not shoot him. I told him that I had no problem shooting through the closed door. HE CALLED THE POLICE to say I threatened him with a gun. Because I am who I am, with what I know, I could not be intimidated since I had never left my home, and he was there on my lawn wearing dark jeans and a black hoodie. Although I was told that I could be arrested for brandishing, I knew it was BS, you can't "brandish in public" if you never leave your home.

The advice the police gave me was that I should have opened the door to see what it was that he wanted.

If the police aren't part of a criminal gang, they are surely politically motivated to support, protect and defend criminal gangs.

BTW, the perp got 13 years with no possibility of parole. Because of his continual telephone harassment, I had the possibility of parole taken away.

Forum List

Back