Minimalism. What would happen?

There are lots of longstanding reasons why the rich are allowed unfair advantage. None of those reasons, in any way make my remark inaccurate
Not inaccurate, but empty.
I only say this because I see you in other threads trashing everything that is Republican, and praising everything that is Democrat. Defending this terror of a President.
Trump acted like the federal government was his personal ATM machine, and used the money presses like there was no tomorrow. But so did Obama. And Biden, well he is taking that to a whole new level of money mismanagement. And yet - I doubt you have, or will ever post something against Biden.

And that, makes your post empty.
I have disagreed plenty of times with Blues Man but his post/threads like this are not empty, because I have seen him posts things against both sides. Especially in economics.

What would happen if people decided to disengage from the consumerist nightmare we live in and instead put value on the intangible meaningful things we have access to?

People will say the economy would crash but so what? Do we have an obligation to the corporate world to keep their coffers overflowing? Do we have an obligation to the government to make more money so we can pay more taxes?

Or do we first have an obligation to ourselves and our own physical mental and financial well being first and foremost? If the economy is not based on the things that will foster this well being should it not be crashed?
Those who have sufficient food, clothing, shelter, other necessities of life have the luxury to focus on intangible meaningful things. Crashing the economy pretty much forces people to focus on tangibles and have far less, if any, time left to focus on intangible meaningful things.

So then the people of the 50's were actually being minimalists compared to people today
The millennials are better than we were at their age (Gen Xrs I speak of)
We were, as a generation, simply insane with spending.
Millennials are at least saving money.
Gen Zs will remain to be seen, they have to first realize going to work is necessary to earn money before you can save any.

Those who have sufficient food, clothing, shelter, other necessities of life have the luxury to focus on intangible meaningful things. Crashing the economy pretty much forces people to focus on tangibles and have far less, if any, time left to focus on intangible meaningful things.

Or the economy shifts to one that is actually more productive and beneficial for the population.

Buying shit to throw away so you can buy more shit is an economy built on sand not granite.

The average person ravaged by the consumerist society our government and the corporations that control it have set up isn;t greedy.

They just have bought a false bill of goods that buying shit, throwing that shit away and buying more shit is the way to get ahead.
Greed.

Or the economy shifts to one that is actually more productive and beneficial for the population.

Buying shit to throw away so you can buy more shit is an economy built on sand not granite.
While I am from a generation who just automatically uses things up, wears them out, makes them last, I know for a fact:

1. Rich is preferable to poor in many many things including having enough money that you don't have to worry about necessities and can focus on other things.

2. Those who have enough in material things--food, clothes, shelter, etc.--are far far more likely to care about and demand clean water, soil, air and preservation of the aesthetic beauty of our planet and the flora and fauna on it.

3. Those who become richer are the ones who help others by buying their products, services, hiring them for pay, contribute to charities that help the less fortunate, pay the huge lion's share of the taxes.

4. Free market capitalism sufficiently regulated to prevent most economic violence between people, states, countries has raised all boats and produced more affluence among far more people than has ANY other economic system. And it runs best when run by people looking to their own self interests or as Walter E. Williams once said: ". . .or in today's silly talk by people who are greedy."

Last edited:
Knowing that you can buy pretty much whatever you want is just as good (or better) than actually buying it.
WINNER!!
During my highest earning years (2004-2014) I was working towards reaching the 2nd 6 figure income, just my wages... add in my spouse and we topped $250k a year during that time.
Yet... I drove a 1996 Ford Truck.
Today, I drive a 2006 Explorer - and proud of it. It is an Eddie Bauer, so leather seats, 4wd, power everything - very comfortable. I can afford a new one... but WTF for??

While I am from a generation who just automatically uses things up, wears them out, makes them last, I know for a fact:

1. Rich is preferable to poor in many many things including having enough money that you don't have to worry about necessities and can focus on other things.

2. Those who have enough in material things--food, clothes, shelter, etc.--are far far more likely to care about and demand clean water, soil, air and preservation of the aesthetic beauty of our planet and the flora and fauna on it.

3. Those who become richer are the ones who help others by buying their products, services, hiring them for pay, contribute to charities that help the less fortunate, pay the huge lion's share of the taxes.

4. Free market capitalism sufficiently regulated to prevent most economic violence between people, states, countries has raised all boats and produced more affluence among far more people than has ANY other economic system. And it runs best when run by people looking to their own self interests or as Walter E. Williams once said: ". . .or in today's silly talk by people who are greedy."

So you think being rich is just having a bunch of stuff and spending money on more stuff all the time.

So you think being rich is just having a bunch of stuff and spending money on more stuff all the time.
No. Being rich is being secure that you will have shelter, food, clothing, other necessities of life so that you have the leisure to focus on other things. Those who are insecure in the necessities of life have little time or interest in anything other than making sure they and those dependent on them have the necessities of life.

No. Being rich is being secure that you will have shelter, food, clothing, other necessities of life so that you have the leisure to focus on other things. Those who are insecure in the necessities of life have little time or interest in anything other than making sure they and those dependent on them have the necessities of life.
And none of that contradicts minimalism.

Minimalism has nothing to do with work ethic.

It has to to with actually keeping more of the money you make which will allow you more freedom, more time and a better more financially secure life with less effort.
I dont disapprove of being financially responsible

But it means different things to different people

I like the material things that our modern economy offers and dont long for asterity

Says every hoarder
Gun parts are small. ;)

Just the other day I was cobbling together a P.38 pistol from a parts lot I bought and needed a extractor.

I remembered i had a small pasteboard box with some P.38 small parts I had squirreled away probably 20 years ago....It was right where i had put it and lo and behold there was a extractor. :)

I dont disapprove of being financially responsible

But it means different things to different people

I like the material things that our modern economy offers and dont long for asterity
Minimalism isn't austerity.

I still have comfortable furniture and don't sit and sleep on the floor. I just don't have tons of crap I never use.

There's another facet to the minimalism lifestyle that has been taking heat in the online circles as of late. That would be the expat, and "Passport Bros" community. Those who are looking to make their money, and then retire abroad. Much earlier than the domestic age can fund. And they're taking thier money with them. And it's really missing a certain segment of the population off...

And none of that contradicts minimalism.
It definitely supports free market capitalism however. And there is absolutely no reason most people should live as minimalists unless they are weird enough to prefer that to enjoying life to the fullest. Those who want to live as minimalists are certainly free to do so. Living without clutter--which is what I choose these days--is NOT minimalism. And yes, if we don't need it and don't use it we donate it. But we certainly buy some things we don't have to have but that bring us enjoyment and pleasure. And in so doing we inadvertently benefit others who earn their living making that stuff and/or getting it on the market for others to buy. And we have some pieces in our home that are pure decoration and give us pleasure just by looking at it.

What you describe is not minimalism in the classic sense. I don't care for minimalism in music, in art, or lifestyle.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back