Mike Johnson: Problem Is the Human Heart, Not Guns

Why do you suppose that is? Could it be opposition to those laws from people like you?

Maine had a “yellow flag” lead that requires so many hurdles that they failed in the Card situation. Everything was there to stop him owning guns EXCEPT the actual act of getting an order to remove them. Why? Fear of backlash from folks like you

I actually want our gun laws to be enforced. If you can find any post of mine anywhere that says differently then quote it.

And go ahead and get an order to remove guns from a person but do it within the legal framework of due process

And we have laws that address that but we do not enforce them.

No, actually, we don't.

Again, when I got my Illinois FOID card, all I had to do was pinky swear I wasn't a criminal or mentally ill. No background check was done. They didn't talk to my family, my employer, or my friends.

Now, by way of comparison.

When I applied for my mortgage- I received a thorough background check, I had to provide three years of tax records, had to account for every credit card in my name, despite the fact I had previously gotten three mortgages on two previous properties and had a credit score of 805.

When I applied for my current job, they did a credit check, interviewed former co-workers, former employers, made me piss in a bottle, did several thorough interviews, did a criminal background check.

I am currently trying to get my wife's immigration status changed from "work visa" to "Marriage Visa", and to do that, I have to provide my birth certificate, marriage certificate, pictures from our relationship, proof of insurance with her name, proof of bank accounts with both our names, (There are also documents she has to provide as well.)

But if I wanted to get an AR-15, I'd probably have a lot less trouble doing that. The FOID card was easy.

No, actually, we don't.

Again, when I got my Illinois FOID card, all I had to do was pinky swear I wasn't a criminal or mentally ill. No background check was done. They didn't talk to my family, my employer, or my friends.

Now, by way of comparison.

When I applied for my mortgage- I received a thorough background check, I had to provide three years of tax records, had to account for every credit card in my name, despite the fact I had previously gotten three mortgages on two previous properties and had a credit score of 805.

When I applied for my current job, they did a credit check, interviewed former co-workers, former employers, made me piss in a bottle, did several thorough interviews, did a criminal background check.

I am currently trying to get my wife's immigration status changed from "work visa" to "Marriage Visa", and to do that, I have to provide my birth certificate, marriage certificate, pictures from our relationship, proof of insurance with her name, proof of bank accounts with both our names, (There are also documents she has to provide as well.)

But if I wanted to get an AR-15, I'd probably have a lot less trouble doing that. The FOID card was easy.
and when was that gramps?

Every gun I ever bought required a BGC

Well, if it was as thorough as my FOID card, I'm not impressed.

Did the ATF talk to your employer? Your family? Your neighbors? Your coworkers?

If they didn't, it wasn't much of a background check.

I was self employed and had no family and how is that even relevant?

And all a BGC is designed to do is to ensure you are not a prohibited person under federal gun laws and that's all that needs to be done.

I actually want our gun laws to be enforced. If you can find any post of mine anywhere that says differently then quote it.

And go ahead and get an order to remove guns from a person but do it within the legal framework of due process
Had Maine pulled this guys guns YOU would have been screaming bloody murder.

How DARE. They take guns away from a Veteran who has never committed a crime!!

You know it and everyone else does too

Had Maine pulled this guys guns YOU would have been screaming bloody murder.

How DARE. They take guns away from a Veteran who has never committed a crime!!

You know it and everyone else does too
Actually Maine's yellow flag law fell well within the bounds of legal due process.

You need to look up what really happened there.

The authorities in Maine had everything they needed under their law to bring Card in. They had medical verification of his mental state, they had reports from family AND his military command structure that he was unstable and making threats but as usual the fucking authorities dropped the ball

From 1791 when the 2nd Amendment was passed until 1965, you would be hard-pressed to find mass shootings whereby someone mentally disturbed sought to kill innocents. In 1965, there was the shooter at the University of Texas who didn’t kill people for their belongings or a personal vendetta, he simply wanted to kill them. How many similar mass shootings have we had from 1965 to 2023?

So, for 174 years, you’d be hard-pressed to find any mass shooting of innocents by a single gunmen.

What changed?

Actually Maine's yellow flag law fell well within the bounds of legal due process.

You need to look up what really happened there.

The authorities in Maine had everything they needed under their law to bring Card in. They had medical verification of his mental state, they had reports from family AND his military command structure that he was unstable and making threats but as usual the fucking authorities dropped the ball
They “dropped the ball” because they were unwilling to face the backlash from people like you

As I said earlier.

They “dropped the ball” because they were unwilling to face the backlash from people like you

As I said earlier.
There would have been no "backlash" from me.

As I said the Maine law was in line with legal due process. I have absolutely no issues with the Maine law at all.

The cops dropped the ball because they were fucking incompetent.

I was self employed and had no family and how is that even relevant?
Sounds like two red flags right there.

Its always the sad loners who go on shooting rampages.

And all a BGC is designed to do is to ensure you are not a prohibited person under federal gun laws and that's all that needs to be done.
Not good enough.

Every time there's a mass shooting, we find out two things.

1) Everyone in his life knew he was nuts
2) He had zero problem getting a gun.

From 1791 when the 2nd Amendment was passed until 1965, you would be hard-pressed to find mass shootings whereby someone mentally disturbed sought to kill innocents. In 1965, there was the shooter at the University of Texas who didn’t kill people for their belongings or a personal vendetta, he simply wanted to kill them. How many similar mass shootings have we had from 1965 to 2023?

So, for 174 years, you’d be hard-pressed to find any mass shooting of innocents by a single gunmen.

What changed?
Wrong

We have not changed. What has changed is the lethality of weapons

Muzzle loaders just don’t kill fast enough

There would have been no "backlash" from me.

As I said the Maine law was in line with legal due process. I have absolutely no issues with the Maine law at all.

The cops dropped the ball because they were fucking incompetent.
You say that now. I’d be willing to bet you would say differently were they to successfully remove this guy’s weapons.

I’m sure it will happen and we will see

Sounds like two red flags right there.

Its always the sad loners who go on shooting rampages.

Not good enough.

Every time there's a mass shooting, we find out two things.

1) Everyone in his life knew he was nuts
2) He had zero problem getting a gun.
Yes being a self employed tradesman is a "red flag" You better not ever let a self employed carpenter, plumber r electrician into your home ever again.

Being orphaned at 14 is a red flag too right?

All that matters is that I was not legally prohibited to own a firearm by the measure of any state or federal law.

You say that now. I’d be willing to bet you would say differently were they to successfully remove this guy’s weapons.

I’m sure it will happen and we will see

You'd lose that bet.

What changed was that you didn't have a gun industry selling to people who shouldn't have guns.

For most of those 174 years, guns didn't fire fast enough to carry out a mass shooting. Can't do a mass shooting from a single-shot muzzle loader.

After Gangsters in the 1930s started using machine guns to kill each other, we imposed sensible gun laws.

What happened after 1965 is two things.

1) Hunting started falling out of fashion as a sport.
2) The Gun industry needed new markets and played on fears to sell them.

You see, before the 1970s, the NRA was actually FOR sensible gun laws. When the Black Panthers started openly carrying weapons in defiance of police, the NRA and Republican governors like Ronald Reagan passed strict new gun laws.

Yes being a self employed tradesman is a "red flag" You better not ever let a self employed carpenter, plumber r electrician into your home ever again.

Being orphaned at 14 is a red flag too right?

All that matters is that I was not legally prohibited to own a firearm by the measure of any state or federal law.

And that's the problem. Reading your posts, I can see you are an angry guy. Not as angry as Bob, that guy's a hate crime looking for a place to happen, but pretty angry.

All it takes sometimes is one bad day.

Forum List

Back