Middle Ground on Trump's Ukrainian Phone Call

mikegriffith1

Mike Griffith
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 23, 2012
Virginia
Trump's decision to withhold aid from Ukraine was dumb and unjustified, but I don't see how it can be construed as illegal, since presidents have wide latitude when it comes to foreign aid. I thoroughly disagree with Trump's decision to withhold the aid. I think it was bad policy and unjustified. But show me how it was illegal.

After all, Trump withheld the aid to try to get the Ukrainian government to look into what appears to have been a clear case of corruption: Hunter Biden's receiving a salary of $50K per month from the Ukrainian company Burisma, followed by the firing of the prosecutor who was investigating Burisma because Joe Biden threatened to withhold $1 billion in aid. That affair should have been investigated years ago, and it is shameful that the Democrats seem to have no interest in Biden's actions in the affair.

Trump's request to Zelensky to investigate the firing of the prosecutor who was investigating Burisma has considerable merit in and of itself, if you put aside politics, since the company's employment of Hunter and the firing of the prosecutor smell to high heaven of corruption. But, it looks very bad for a president to ask a foreign leader to get his government to investigate the son of the guy who might be your opponent in the next election.

I think Trump made some very bad decisions in how he handled approaching Ukraine about the Biden-Burisma-fired-prosecutor scandal, and he was wrong to withhold aid from Ukraine over the matter. But, I haven't seen any convincing arguments that Trump's conduct toward Ukraine was illegal. I find Judge Napolitano's arguments along this line unconvincing and strained.

Ukraine is a worldwide one-stop shop for graft, kickbacks, payola, and money laundering, and Trump likely knows this....Even the Ukrainian citizens are totally fed up with their nation's corruption.

The evidence for a quid-pro-quo is nonexistent.

The trail for the Mueller RUSSIA! hoax that consumed the nation for over two years goes through Ukraine.

The Bidens are incidental to those investigations.

Trump's decision to withhold aid from Ukraine was dumb and unjustified, but I don't see how it can be construed as illegal, since presidents have wide latitude when it comes to foreign aid. I thoroughly disagree with Trump's decision to withhold the aid. I think it was bad policy and unjustified. But show me how it was illegal.

After all, Trump withheld the aid to try to get the Ukrainian government to look into what appears to have been a clear case of corruption: Hunter Biden's receiving a salary of $50K per month from the Ukrainian company Burisma, followed by the firing of the prosecutor who was investigating Burisma because Joe Biden threatened to withhold $1 billion in aid. That affair should have been investigated years ago, and it is shameful that the Democrats seem to have no interest in Biden's actions in the affair.

Trump's request to Zelensky to investigate the firing of the prosecutor who was investigating Burisma has considerable merit in and of itself, if you put aside politics, since the company's employment of Hunter and the firing of the prosecutor smell to high heaven of corruption. But, it looks very bad for a president to ask a foreign leader to get his government to investigate the son of the guy who might be your opponent in the next election.

I think Trump made some very bad decisions in how he handled approaching Ukraine about the Biden-Burisma-fired-prosecutor scandal, and he was wrong to withhold aid from Ukraine over the matter. But, I haven't seen any convincing arguments that Trump's conduct toward Ukraine was illegal. I find Judge Napolitano's arguments along this line unconvincing and strained.
You're dumb for commenting on something where all you have is third or fourth hand info. In other words, you are stupid.

just one big problem with your view,,,

IT'S ALL WRONG

he didnt withhold money for an investigation,,,

so no reason to read the rest of it

Isn’t trump supposed to protect my tax money and make sure it doesn’t go to corrupt regimes ? And who said trump held it up for this reason?
Grasping for straws

he didnt withhold money for an investigation. . . .

Then why on earth did he withhold the aid money from an ally who depends on our aid and who is under intense pressure from Russia? Ukraine needed that money. Ukraine is fighting a war with Russian-backed militia on its eastern border. Part of Ukraine was invaded and annexed by Russia just a few years ago. So tell me why Trump withheld that aid money.

Then why on earth did he withhold the aid money from an ally who depends on our aid and who is under intense pressure from Russia? Ukraine needed that money. Ukraine is fighting a war with Russian-backed militia on its eastern border. Part of Ukraine was invaded and annexed by Russia just a few years ago. So tell me why Trump withheld that aid money.
IT HAS BEEN COVERED WHY IN SEVERAL NEWS REPORTS,,,

you should learn all the facts before shooting your mouth off cause it makes you look like an ignorant moron,,,

Here’s what you need to know about the US aid package to Ukraine that Trump delayed

Forum List

Back