Michigan Senate passes 48-month limit on welfare,

Looks like the lazy Demwits will now have to leave Michigan and look for greener Welfare pastures. May i recommend California or New York? Bon Voyage. :)

They passed similar Legislation in Florida recently. This type of Legislation doesn't solve all of the Entitlement problems but it does encourage the lazy Demwit losers in a State to leave that State and look elsewhere for their Welfare Paradise. It's a friendly nudge encouraging them to GTFO. So WTG Michigan & Florida! :)

for most it will not. What will happen is that many of these people will turn to crime and find themselves being arrested and sent to prison.
Who cares ? If this is their mindset, either give me money for nothing or I will rob you, do we really want these POS individuals in society in the first place? NO,

Here is where the real problem lies. Twenty percent of Michigan's state budget already goes to imprisoning criminals. They are spending close to $2 billion per year on running the prison system, and even this past year, they added even more inmates as the bad economy has turned more people to crime. So what will actually happen is that the state will save a few million on welfare payments and turn around and be forced to spend tens of millions more on locking these people up in prison.
The majority of prison cost is fixed. as in, building, electric, employees etc..., the non fixed costs are actually not that high. When they say that it cost X number of dollars to keep someone in prison, the fixed costs are included. This means that the more inmates you have, the more that fixed cost is spread and the less it actually costs per inmate to house them.
If interested look into the static and dynamic costs of running a prison and you will see that more actually can mean less.
Lock em up.

If we want to get these people off of welfare, we need to find a way to train them and get them into the workforce. Just throwing them off of welfare will only change where we throw our tax dollars, and in fact might actually cost more. These are just realities. It has nothing to do whether you agree or disagree with supporting people through a welfare system.

An equal amount of concern should be shown people that are being laid off from government positions. What a slap to get laid off from a job you work at while pooky the crack stud gets to continue living for free.

Once you proclaim you're not a Welfare-Friendly State anymore,the ignorant lazy sheep immediately begin their exodus. They will simply leave and go look for a more Welfare-Friendly State. And that's why these Laws are so good. Once you're no longer considered Welfare-Friendly,your State can begin to rebuild and prosper. I think Michigan has had enough of the Democrat-created Entitlement chaos. Look at what the Democrats have done to Detroit? It's a Third World Hell-Hole for God's sake. Maybe this new Law will encourage many of the Welfare sheep to leave Detroit? I guess we'll see. In any case,this new Law is a good start to cleaning up the awful Democrat mess in Michigan. I wish them the best of luck.

Look what happened in New orleans after Katrina. They told the people who lived in the projects to get back in them they had to help rebuild them ..Over half did not come back!!!

The Goal for Florida & Michigan was to encourage the Entitlement Blood-Suckers to leave these States and look for greener Welfare pastures elsewhere. Putting a cap on Welfare accomplishes this goal somewhat. These people will look to relocate to more Welfare-Friendly States like California,New York,and Massachusetts. This will help Florida & Michigan in the end. They will be left with hard-working productive Citizens who want to see their Communities prosper. The less Welfare Blood-Suckers,the better off a Community will be. Michigan is on the right track now. I'm encouraged.

I got a better idea. How about if the "job creators" on their way home from work tonight, drive thru the part of town where the homeless live. Pick one out. Offer them a job and let them know that they are welcome to invite all their old street buddies over for a good paying job anytime they like.

See, this kind of simplistic empty headed thinking works both ways.

Except they've already done their part, haven't they? I'm talking about all the people out there saying, "somebody, somewhere should do something". OK, step up.

No they haven't. If they did, we wouldn't be looking at 10% unemployment.

Those job creators already employee the other 90%, so yeah, they have done their part. To employee the other 10%, they need this administration to quit being anti-business.

The Republicans run this state now, They are cleaning up the mess.

[
B]Michigan Senate passes 48-month limit on welfare, raises wage cap[/B]

Lansing— Welfare benefits are limited to 48-months under a bill passed today in a special summer session of the state Senate.

Democrats voted as a bloc against the legislation, which passed 24-12.

The two-bill package would extend to all recipients a 48-month limit that now applies only to those eligible to participate in the state's Work First program and who live in an area where the Jobs, Education and Training (JET) program is available. The 48-month limit for those enrolled in JET is due to expire Sept. 30.

Eliminating that sunset will throw 12,600 families, with an average monthly benefit of $515, off the welfare rolls Oct. 1. Savings to the state would total $77.4 million, including $65 million in the general fund. The bill includes some exemptions to the cap, and the Department of Human Services would be allowed to exempt up to 6,100 cases during the 2012 fiscal year.

The House already approved the bill, but it was changed slightly by the Senate, which gave more discretion to the state Department of Human Services to grant exemptions to the time limit. The package now returns to the House for concurrence and must also be signed by Gov. Rick Snyder to become law.

Republicans have said reforms are needed because Michigan cannot afford to extend lifetime welfare benefits. They also raised the amount families can earn while still receiving benefits.

Southfield Democrat Sen. Vincent Gregory unsuccessfully introduced an amendment to exempt from the time limit people who live in counties where unemployment is 25 percent or more higher than the state unemployment rate.

"(The cap) will result in families losing much needed assistance in the worst economic downturn in years," Gregory said. "We should be lifting up our families and encouraging them to self sufficiency.

"Ninety percent of these families are working poor … often trying to support children and just barely getting by. We are pushing these families to homelessness."

The legislation would also:

-- Discount $200 plus 50 percent of a family's earnings when determining income eligibility for welfare benefits, allowing families to earn more and still qualify for welfare than under the current law, which discounts $200 plus 20 percent.

-- Disallow benefits for 19-year-olds who live in a home receiving welfare benefits

-- Prohibit spending welfare benefits on lottery tickets, alcohol, tobacco, gambling or other nonessentials

The House and Senate convene once a month during the summer; the House will meet July 27

From The Detroit News: Politics-State | Michigan Senate passes 48-month limit on welfare, raises wage cap | The Detroit News

They might have created an employment program to place workers, job training, internships & apprenticeship programs, to lower the numbers on social benefit programs. All they managed to do is extend misery which will result in a failed attempt.

Last edited:
The whole "take in a homeless person" gambit you're playing doesn't prove anything. There's a difference between wanting to help people and inviting someone into your home, with all that entails. Nice try, but the only person you're fooling is yourself.

I agree that welfare shouldn't last nearly as long as it does, but I also agree that the simplistic view of the poor as lazy is infantile, holier-than-thou, and unrealistic. It's easy for people to make the poor into boogeymen...but no society in history has solved the poverty problem. It will always exist.

If people could just magically find jobs whenever they wanted to, our unemployment rate wouldn't be as high as it is right now. "Kick 'em off welfare...then they'll find a job"...it doesnt work that way.

Oh...and the idea that welfare recipients have the money to MOVE (from Michigan or anywhere else) shows your lack of common sense. Poor people don't have the money to move.

Really? So you care sooooo much about the less fortunate that you want something done to help them, just as long as you don't personally have to deal with them to back up your talk. Nice. Let's help all the poor people, but let's do it with that rich guy over there's money. I don't want to do anything personally, so let's make him give it up because it's the "right thing to do". How magnanamous of you!

Taking the small percentage of physically and mentally handicapped people who can't exist without assitance out of the equation, why are the vast majority of the "less fortunate" poor in the US in 2011?

So you repeat the same challenge using basically the same argument. Here's the problem with your argument (no matter how many times you repeat it) - I'm already being magnanimous (that's the correct spelling btw) with the charities I give to. In fact, I bet that I give more charitably than you make in a year. (Zing!)

Challenge accepted. Challenge won.

Well, not knowing how much I make and how I give of my time, talent and income, it's kind of a hollow victory you just claimed, isn't it? Congrats, you're a legend in your own mind. :cuckoo:

Just put out the sign stating that your State is no longer Welfare-Friendly,and your State will immediately begin to prosper again. The ravenous Entitlement crowd will look to live elsewhere. Hopefully in States like California & New York. The less Welfare Blood Suckers,the better off a State will be. So it's wise to advertise that your State is no longer Welfare-Friendly. And i think that's what these Laws will accomplish eventually. Michigan & Florida definitely have it right.

Except they've already done their part, haven't they? I'm talking about all the people out there saying, "somebody, somewhere should do something". OK, step up.

Those job creators already employee the other 90%, so yeah, they have done their part. To employee the other 10%, they need this administration to quit being anti-business.

If they already employ the other 90%, then it won't kill them to take one for the team and employ the remaining 10% now will it.

If they already employ the other 90%, then it won't kill them to take one for the team and employ the remaining 10% now will it.

Just like it won't hurt you to give your spare room to a homeless person. See how that works. Given the current environment under this administration, they are maxed out on what they can afford to do in the way of hiring. Sure, hire the other 10%, run yourself out of business and have 100% unemployment. Kind of a stupid plan.

just where is all this 77.4 million in savings going to go? plus the 65 million in general fund? by the way , where the heck is the lotto money for the schools? maybe its time for an accounting by independant sources so our childrens schools do not close, our taxes help the poor and needy, not just road repair. whats this i hear about a new bridge? how about a bridge from the greedy to the needy, we are all neighbors and we should give when the need is there,our hungry should not be without food , our homeless should have shelter and our poor a helping hand up to earn a living wage with integrity. this isn't just about the law anymore,its what is the right thing to do as a human being. we live in america and thats always been based on family, its time to get back to the roots of who we are and where we want our state of michigan to be in the future. stand together, take care of each other or let the division stand and watch a great state become a place where dreams never do come true. pretty bridges, pretty museums, closed schools, families sleeping in the streets. its our choice,as for me and mine ,we will be guided by Gods' rules its worked for the united states since we began this great country and it still stands. who rules you and yours?

The law is good as long as the jobs pay $20 per hour or more. Under that doesn't permit living wages in america.

That's a long damn time.

If it were me I'd do 10 months, then a 15% reduction every month after that till it runs out. Then say a 18 month period before you can sign up for it again. And make it per household, not per person.

Then again I'm a strong believer in working.

Forum List

Back