Michigan School Shooting, 3 dead.

I'm not talking about what's good for funding. I'm talking about knowing the students best.
So you want high schools with about 120 students?

The smallest high school I taught in was 270 students on an Army post. The largest was 3400+ students in the suburbs of a major city. There was no difference from a classroom perspective.

Last edited:

Excerpt:

he day before the shooting
On Monday, a teacher saw the suspect looking at photos of ammunition on his cell phone during class, which prompted a meeting with a counselor and another staff member. During that discussion, the student told them that he and his mother had recently gone to a shooting range and that "shooting sports are a family hobby," Throne wrote in the letter.
The school tried to reach the student's mother that day, but didn't hear back until the following day when his parents confirmed the student's story, Throne said.
After school officials reached out to Jennifer Crumbley regarding her son searching the web for ammunition, she texted him saying, "LOL I'm not mad at you. You have to learn not to get caught," prosecutors have said.

This occurred before the shooting, not before the gun was purchased.

It wasn’t until the day of the shooting that there was some indication that the boy was troubled.

The ‘don’t get caught’ text the mother sent the boy was telling him don’t get caught looking at online ammunition resellers in school, not ‘don’t get caught’ with the gun.
I can see all sides of this.

Prosecuting the parents will be difficult unless the prosecutor has something up her sleeve she isn't sharing, and she's been hinting that is the case. We'll see at trial, I guess.

The school sent out a letter detailing the two meetings with Ethan prior to the shooting. On the morning of the shooting (meeting 2), he was called to the guidance office and the guidance counselor grilled him about suicidal/ homicidal thoughts. Ethan told her he was creating a new video game, no worries. While waiting for his parents to arrive, he was calm and requested his Science homework so he wouldn't get behind. He cooly sat there doing his homework. When his parents arrived, he bluffed his way through that, too. He had the gun on him or hidden in the bathroom, and he was planning to use it that day. He is a cool liar.

The counselor didn't buy it. She insisted he get counseling within 48 hours or be reported for neglect. The parents flatly refused to take Ethan home; they had to get back to work and why send him to sit in an empty house? From the school's letter, the Principal didn't even know about this whole thing; it was handled solely by guidance. But they did know Ethan's family was a sports shooting family, because he had told them that the day before when he was caught looking at bullets in class. So reasonably, they would know there were guns in the home and that Ethan knew how to shoot them.

The student’s parents never advised the school district that he had direct access to a firearm or that they had recently purchased a firearm for him,” Mr. Throne wrote.
On Nov. 29, Mr. Throne wrote, a teacher saw Ethan Crumbley viewing images of bullets on his cellphone during class. A counselor and a staff member met with him, and he indicated that shooting sports were a family hobby, the letter said. The school tried to contact Ms. Crumbley but did not hear back right away. The next day, the parents confirmed their son’s account, the letter said.

If Ethan was that good, hours before committing mass murder, who's to say the parents weren't equally clueless about their son's intentions? Parents would be the LAST people you would expect to see their child as a mass murderer. They love their kids, are proud of them, we all know how that is...

BUT that whole finger pointing game leaves out one fact: it is illegal to buy a minor a handgun, which this family clearly did, as a Christmas present. The whole "it was locked" excuse makes no sense to me. The gun was gone by the time the police searched. Who says it was locked? The parents? Prove it. Ethan isn't talking, has never said anything except that he wanted a lawyer.

There is always a blame game after a school shooting. After Parkland it was police who hung back, the school for shoving Cruz's behavioral problems under the rug, Obama for the policy that encouraged it, and the FBI for not taking warnings about the kid seriously. I suppose it's human to point fingers, but it doesn't change the fact that Ethan Crumbley was depressed and angry and hid it well in order to kill as many fellow students as he could. In his note, he wrote "The thoughts won't stop. Help me" but when a concerned and caring hand was extended, he refused it. I guess it was too late.

It's a puzzling case.

The high school where I taught and was an assistant principal had 64 doors for 3400 students. Please explain how metal detectors would work to prevent a weapon from being brought into the school?
It's called set up at the perimeter prior to entrance to the campus. Yes unfortunately the surrounding perimeter has to be made secure with some sort of sensors and camera's, but all student's must pass through the check point or points created.

Yeah, there is. The fact that you do not see that freedom of religion would be violated, is a testament to your ignorance of the topic.
You said you was a Christian, so you know when you neglect God. The worse thing will happen. Look at what the school systems are producing. About ten years ago I handed a buddy of mines employee. A funny comic strip, he handed it back to me, because he didn't know how to read.

I can see all sides of this.

Prosecuting the parents will be difficult unless the prosecutor has something up her sleeve she isn't sharing, and she's been hinting that is the case. We'll see at trial, I guess.

The school sent out a letter detailing the two meetings with Ethan prior to the shooting. On the morning of the shooting (meeting 2), he was called to the guidance office and the guidance counselor grilled him about suicidal/ homicidal thoughts. Ethan told her he was creating a new video game, no worries. While waiting for his parents to arrive, he was calm and requested his Science homework so he wouldn't get behind. He cooly sat there doing his homework. When his parents arrived, he bluffed his way through that, too. He had the gun on him or hidden in the bathroom, and he was planning to use it that day. He is a cool liar.

The counselor didn't buy it. She insisted he get counseling within 48 hours or be reported for neglect. The parents flatly refused to take Ethan home; they had to get back to work and why send him to sit in an empty house? From the school's letter, the Principal didn't even know about this whole thing; it was handled solely by guidance. But they did know Ethan's family was a sports shooting family, because he had told them that the day before when he was caught looking at bullets in class. So reasonably, they would know there were guns in the home and that Ethan knew how to shoot them.

The student’s parents never advised the school district that he had direct access to a firearm or that they had recently purchased a firearm for him,” Mr. Throne wrote.
On Nov. 29, Mr. Throne wrote, a teacher saw Ethan Crumbley viewing images of bullets on his cellphone during class. A counselor and a staff member met with him, and he indicated that shooting sports were a family hobby, the letter said. The school tried to contact Ms. Crumbley but did not hear back right away. The next day, the parents confirmed their son’s account, the letter said.

If Ethan was that good, hours before committing mass murder, who's to say the parents weren't equally clueless about their son's intentions? Parents would be the LAST people you would expect to see their child as a mass murderer. They love their kids, are proud of them, we all know how that is...

BUT that whole finger pointing game leaves out one fact: it is illegal to buy a minor a handgun, which this family clearly did, as a Christmas present. The whole "it was locked" excuse makes no sense to me. The gun was gone by the time the police searched. Who says it was locked? The parents? Prove it. Ethan isn't talking, has never said anything except that he wanted a lawyer.

There is always a blame game after a school shooting. After Parkland it was police who hung back, the school for shoving Cruz's behavioral problems under the rug, Obama for the policy that encouraged it, and the FBI for not taking warnings about the kid seriously. I suppose it's human to point fingers, but it doesn't change the fact that Ethan Crumbley was depressed and angry and hid it well in order to kill as many fellow students as he could. In his note, he wrote "The thoughts won't stop. Help me" but when a concerned and caring hand was extended, he refused it. I guess it was too late.

It's a puzzling case.
Instead of concentrating on the firearm, perhaps the concentration should be on this kid and the family. I would bet there was some bad shit going on in that family.

Yet somehow as soon as they heard about the shooting the dad drove home and looked for his gun. Why would you do that if you did not suspect your child was capable of doing the shooting?

You said you was a Christian, so you know when you neglect God. The worse thing will happen. Look at what the school systems are producing. About ten years ago I handed a buddy of mines employee. A funny comic strip, he handed it back to me, because he didn't know how to read.

Apparently, you don't know how to write!

I do not neglect God. Isn't that a bit judgmental in your accusation? I also do not force my God on anyone else, in violation of the Constitution.

You might reconsider your opinion in this matter.

Yet somehow as soon as they heard about the shooting the dad drove home and looked for his gun. Why would you do that if you did not suspect your child was capable of doing the shooting?
I'm not sure we can give them a gold star for connecting the dots at that point. They had just had a long meeting with a counselor grilling their son about homicidal or suicidal intentions. But their denial at that point is perfectly normal, too. This apparently came out of the blue. It's obvious they didn't suspect he was going to commit a mass murder or they would have done more.

I'm not sure we can give them a gold star for connecting the dots at that point

I want to give them the opposite of a gold star.

It's obvious they didn't suspect he was going to commit a mass murder or they would have done more.

Yet when they heard about the shooting their first thought was that it was their son. Mom texted him and said don't do it and dad went to look for the gun. Clearly they had some ideas that he was capable of such a thing.

Apparently, you don't know how to write!

I do not neglect God. Isn't that a bit judgmental in your accusation? I also do not force my God on anyone else, in violation of the Constitution.

You might reconsider your opinion in this matter.
Not claiming you do, that's between you and God. A teacher being able to say a prayer out loud in the morning isn't forcing their religion on anyone. Now making them take a Bible class would be.

Instead of concentrating on the firearm, perhaps the concentration should be on this kid and the family. I would bet there was some bad shit going on in that family.
Maybe. Maybe not. Some kids are just not quite right. Was he another we'll find out was on mind altering g prescription drugs? In this particular case, the parents displayed really poor judgement. But they are NOT guilty of any form of manslaughter. This is 100% political.

Last edited:
Maybe. Maybe not. Some kids are just not quite right. Was he another we'll find out was on mind altering g prescription drugs? In this particular case, the parents displayed really poor judgement. But they are NOT guilty of any form of manslaughter. This is 100% political.
I'm not saying the parents should be charged with manslaughter or murder.

I want to give them the opposite of a gold star.

Yet when they heard about the shooting their first thought was that it was their son. Mom texted him and said don't do it and dad went to look for the gun. Clearly they had some ideas that he was capable of such a thing.
Disagree. Not until after the fact. How can you intimate that they knew and did nothing, as if they were okay with him doing it? That's what one would have to infer from what you're saying.

I'm not letting them off the hook. They bought him the gun. They didn't take that note as seriously as I would have. There may well have been other 'clues' they missed that we don't know about yet, but from what we actually know? Nah, the parents were not sitting back and saying to themselves, Go ahead.

Forum List

Back