Michigan county seized retiree’s home over $8 debt

Q. Will I receive notification before my property is foreclosed?
A. Yes. At least five attempts at notification will be made. Two will be by first class mail, two by certified mail, and the last notification will be made by personal service. In addition to these notifications, names and addresses of delinquent property owners may be published in the newspaper. It is the owner/taxpayer's responsibility to notify the local unit and us when there is an address change.

Did you not read your own link????? I didn't read all of it, but it does say the property owner did pay the first outstanding debt, but had miscalculated the next amount due that put him short.

AND the notices were sent to both the rental property AND the owner.

Unless it's different in MI, it usually takes about 3 years of delinquent taxes before the county takes your property

83 year old---could be a matter of senile dementia---they cheated him

That could be part of it, especially if he didn't contact the county for address change when he moved. But yeah, the old man got cheated

No he didn't, he didn't pay his frickin taxes. We need to pay them, so how did he get cheated??

How so. Its the law, and I live in MI and I'm fully aware of the law.
I bet the county tax office never informed the man that he was short $8.41 on his taxes

the tax assessor/collector just waited quietly till the two years passed and pounced on his house
I second this. If the man was never given the proper heads up and the house is not given back to him any time soon, may the man not only sue whoever is responsible for this, but may the man kick butt in court!

God bless you and the man always!!!

Holly
I hope he loses.
Even when its just eight dollars that wasn't thrown down? Thank you for letting the rest of us be aware of the heart that you do not possess. Oh and you make it sound like the guy hasn't already lost enough. Thank you again.

Holly

The conservatives on the Supreme Court did recently rule that this kind of crap is legal.

Q. Will I receive notification before my property is foreclosed?
A. Yes. At least five attempts at notification will be made. Two will be by first class mail, two by certified mail, and the last notification will be made by personal service. In addition to these notifications, names and addresses of delinquent property owners may be published in the newspaper. It is the owner/taxpayer's responsibility to notify the local unit and us when there is an address change.

Did you not read your own link????? I didn't read all of it, but it does say the property owner did pay the first outstanding debt, but had miscalculated the next amount due that put him short.

AND the notices were sent to both the rental property AND the owner.

Unless it's different in MI, it usually takes about 3 years of delinquent taxes before the county takes your property

83 year old---could be a matter of senile dementia---they cheated him

That could be part of it, especially if he didn't contact the county for address change when he moved. But yeah, the old man got cheated

No he didn't, he didn't pay his frickin taxes. We need to pay them, so how did he get cheated??
Well actually he did pay his taxes.

Rafaeli, however, was unaware that his property was no longer his property and continued to pay property taxes even after it was seized, his lawyers said.

In August 2011, Uri Rafaeli bought a three-bedroom, 1,500-square-foot home in the Detroit suburb of Southfield, Mich., for $60,000. He converted the fixer-upper into a rental property.

Two-and-a-half years later – and at the time unbeknownst to the retired engineer – Oakland County seized his property, put it up for auction and sold the house for $24,500. All this, after a mistake in calculating his property taxes left Rafaeli’s account delinquent by just $8.41. Oakland County ended up keeping all of the $24,500 from the sale, while Rafaeli, now 83, was left without the home and the income he made from renting it.

--------------------------------------------------------
The gov signed the law, and it was a republican trifecta that year in 1999, so this is the fault of the republicans.
-----------------------------------------------------------

Public Act 123 of 1999 shortens the amount of time property owners have to pay their delinquent taxes before losing their property. Property owners with taxes that are 25 months delinquent will be foreclosed and the property will be sold at public auction. For example, people who fail to pay their 2017 delinquent property taxes will lose their property to foreclosure March 31, 2020. Due to the Covid19 E.O from the governor the redemption period has been extended to at least 6/2/2020. Due to pending possible suits against the E.O. those dates may change.
Public Act 123 of 1999 shortens the amount of time property owners have to pay their delinquent taxes before losing their property. Property owners with taxes that are 25 months delinquent will be foreclosed and the property will be sold at public auction. For example, people who fail to pay their 2017 delinquent property taxes will lose their property to foreclosure March 31, 2020.

Due to the Covid19 E.O from the governor the redemption period has been extended to at least 6/2/2020. Due to pending possible suits against the E.O. those dates may change.
With this new act, the amount of time to pay taxes has been reduced from approximately 5 years to approximately 2 years.

It is also the Democrats fault as they did not earn the peoples respect and vote for the Democratic Party. Why hasn't the state of Michigan Democrats changed the law? You'd think if this was of serious concern to them, they would have tackled the issue.

So why didn't he pay the delinquent tax? He must of received letters and notifications from the state. He had 25 months, didn't the state notify him of the delinquency? The story doesn't add up. This seems extreme by the state of Michigan, today.

I agree it doesn't add up. The guy buys the house in 2011....which usually all taxes have to be paid up before final closing. Usually taxes are due once a year, though they allow you to pay 1/2 in April and other 1/2 in October........I don't know about paying on a monthly plan directly to the county......that may be so, IDK. Mine is included in the mortgage payment and goes to escrow....which pays out twice a year and insurance is paid once in January or February.
BUT usually if you are making payments on a bill.......any shortages for one billing cycle are added to the next......so if this guy was paying his taxes all along, that initial amount would have been paid, just late and since he had kept paying the taxes, even after they had sold the property........he never was delinquent really and they had no right to confiscate his property.

BUT the real point of the article was the fact they had sold it and kept the profit, instead of giving it to the man.

Thank you for letting the rest of us be aware of the heart that you do not possess.
Her heart is tied to a political party

she opened the thread bashing republicans and her heart was with the poor old guy

then she found out it was democrats who took his house

and he became a lousy old tax cheat who deserved what happened to him

In August 2011, Uri Rafaeli bought a three-bedroom, 1,500-square-foot home in the Detroit suburb of Southfield, Mich., for $60,000. He converted the fixer-upper into a rental property.

Two-and-a-half years later – and at the time unbeknownst to the retired engineer – Oakland County seized his property, put it up for auction and sold the house for $24,500. All this, after a mistake in calculating his property taxes left Rafaeli’s account delinquent by just $8.41. Oakland County ended up keeping all of the $24,500 from the sale, while Rafaeli, now 83, was left without the home and the income he made from renting it.

The gov signed the law, and it was a republican trifecta that year in 1999, so this is the fault of the republicans.

Public Act 123 of 1999 shortens the amount of time property owners have to pay their delinquent taxes before losing their property. Property owners with taxes that are 25 months delinquent will be foreclosed and the property will be sold at public auction. For example, people who fail to pay their 2017 delinquent property taxes will lose their property to foreclosure March 31, 2020. Due to the Covid19 E.O from the governor the redemption period has been extended to at least 6/2/2020. Due to pending possible suits against the E.O. those dates may change.
Public Act 123 of 1999 shortens the amount of time property owners have to pay their delinquent taxes before losing their property. Property owners with taxes that are 25 months delinquent will be foreclosed and the property will be sold at public auction. For example, people who fail to pay their 2017 delinquent property taxes will lose their property to foreclosure March 31, 2020.

Due to the Covid19 E.O from the governor the redemption period has been extended to at least 6/2/2020. Due to pending possible suits against the E.O. those dates may change.
With this new act, the amount of time to pay taxes has been reduced from approximately 5 years to approximately 2 years.

Ahhhhh, bureaucracy. Don't you just love it. Why yes, yes you do.

Ahhhhh, bureaucracy. Don't you just love it. Why yes, yes you do.

Yep, those republicans just had to cut the law down to 2 years instead of the 5 years years it was for years.
I bet the county tax office never informed the man that he was short $8.41 on his taxes

the tax assessor/collector just waited quietly till the two years passed and pounced on his house
I second this. If the man was never given the proper heads up and the house is not given back to him any time soon, may the man not only sue whoever is responsible for this, but may the man kick butt in court!

Holly
I hope he loses.
Even when its just eight dollars that wasn't thrown down? Thank you for letting the rest of us be aware of the heart that you do not possess. Oh and you make it sound like the guy hasn't already lost enough. Thank you again.

Holly

We pay our taxes and you think this person should not pay his taxes. Heart doesn't have no place in this, its the law, made by the republicans.

Holly
I hope he loses.

Holly

So you don't think people need to obey the law?? You are crazy. You don't need to bless me, but certainty bless the man that he will lose in court and walk away in shame.

Last edited:

Holly
I hope he loses.

Holly
So you don't think people need to obey the law?? You are crazy. You don't need to bless me, but certainty bless the man that he will lose in court and walk away in shame.
Sure, the law has to be obeyed and if the money wasn't going to be paid one way or another, then yes, what happened is what should happen, but what made the authority people think that an $8.00 debt wasn't going to be paid once the person who owed the money was finally aware of the fact that they still owed the $8.00 in the first place?

Holly

Holly
I hope he loses.

Holly
Sure, the law has to be obeyed and if the money wasn't going to be paid one way or another, then yes, what happened is what should happen, but what made the authority people think that an $8.00 debt wasn't going to be paid once the person who owed the money was finally aware of the fact that they still owed the $8.00 in the first place?

Holly

You didn't make any sense, so the law should be abandoned due to the man wouldn't pay the 8 bucks anyway? it was more than 8 bucks with the penalty and fines.

So you don't think people need to obey the law??
Penelope the rip snortin‘ Law and Order Lib?

I never thought I’d see the day

but what else can she say when her democrats are stealing houses from 83-year old men?

there should be no property taxes at all. Especially if you are retired. In Greenville 50 years ago a house that cost $35,000 is worth $250,000 now.

Has anybody blamed Trump yet?

Holly
I hope he loses.

Holly

Holly
You didn't make any sense, so the law should be abandoned due to the man wouldn't pay the 8 bucks anyway? it was more than 8 bucks with the penalty and fines.
Thank you for acknowledging the fines and penalties sooner. You sound just like whoever may have never given the man the proper heads up.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

You don't have to worry about that in Democrat run states.

Your property cannot be stolen from you since you don't own anything. It's all communal. Nothing is "yours". Everything is "the people's".

Liberals please take note:
If you have not yet died of "the virus"
you are not doing your part to
SAVE THE PLANET.

now that you mention it that would be very helpful according to green mythology

the polar bears would really appreciate it

and libs could claim their 72 virgins in heaven

Forum List

Back