Messages to the protestors

mobs-111011.gif

Actually, this is people who work hard for what they have versus people who want to sit around and complain.

Quite interesting that you see it as a Republican versus Democrat thing though. Very telling...:eusa_think:

Again, DICK, since you glazed me over completely thus far...

Do you see nothing wrong with the behavior of wall street as of late?

Do you mean that the wall street big wigs, spend too much time at the white house (or in close proximity, annonomusly)? Do you mean they give too much money to the democrats (for returned favors) as 'campaign contributions? I thought that was okay when the democrats did it.

Again, DICK, since you glazed me over completely thus far...

Do you see nothing wrong with the behavior of wall street as of late?

I answered you earlier, you never responded back that I saw. :dunno:

Behavior of Wall Street as of late? What behavior is that? I see the politicians bailing out their buddies in business and I see politicians crafting tax policies to favor their buddies in business. The common theme being that politicians who make the policies seem to be the issue. Not the businesses that operate under those policies.

So you did, my bad.

Radio said:
So whining about the unfairness of it all is a much better way to go instead of making something of yourself?

Elitist career politicians is probably a lot closer to what is wrong with the economy than "Business bad".

I think you overestimate the preponderance of people who are saying "Business bad." Sure there's probably some singing that tune, but they're just confused. Not everyone immerses themselves in matters of finance, politics, business, etc; But they do know they can't find a job. Why?

Did elitist politicans outsource the jobs? No, but they allowed it to happen.

Did they inflate then burst the housing bubble? No, but they allowed it to happen.

Did they GIVE the six largest banking institutions in this country assets in excess of 60% of our GDP? No, but they allowed it to happen.

Did they personally consolidate companies into huge trusts capable of exploiting resources and crushing smaller businesses? No, but they allowed it to happen.

They DID give the private banking sector undue and dangerous control over the money supply... I'll grant that... But did they force them to exploit that power? No, but they allowed it to happen.

Do you see a pattern emerging here? The government doesn't "DO" any of these things. They only allow it to happen; They only fail to prevent it. And I think that's a big part of the message here - "STOP. LETTING. THIS. HAPPEN."

If you get robbed and beaten up, do you blame the cops for not being there and tell the perpetrators that it's not their fault, because the cops let it happen? That's analogous to what I see when I hear people blaming the big bad government.

I'm tellin' ya man, this will not continue the way it's been going. Maybe this will subside and the unwashed masses will again be placated as a few scraps find them as the next bubble inflates, but eventually there will be more equitable distribution than what we have now; It's inevitable.

...Whew, much better. :eusa_angel:

Actually in every one of your examples the politicians created the environment in which businesses found it more profitable to pursue those avenues of profit margin rather than their current course. So it still falls back on the politicians.

I answered you earlier, you never responded back that I saw. :dunno:

Behavior of Wall Street as of late? What behavior is that? I see the politicians bailing out their buddies in business and I see politicians crafting tax policies to favor their buddies in business. The common theme being that politicians who make the policies seem to be the issue. Not the businesses that operate under those policies.

So you did, my bad.

Radio said:
So whining about the unfairness of it all is a much better way to go instead of making something of yourself?

Elitist career politicians is probably a lot closer to what is wrong with the economy than "Business bad".

I think you overestimate the preponderance of people who are saying "Business bad." Sure there's probably some singing that tune, but they're just confused. Not everyone immerses themselves in matters of finance, politics, business, etc; But they do know they can't find a job. Why?

Did they inflate then burst the housing bubble? No, but they allowed it to happen.

Did they GIVE the six largest banking institutions in this country assets in excess of 60% of our GDP? No, but they allowed it to happen.

Did they personally consolidate companies into huge trusts capable of exploiting resources and crushing smaller businesses? No, but they allowed it to happen.

They DID give the private banking sector undue and dangerous control over the money supply... I'll grant that... But did they force them to exploit that power? No, but they allowed it to happen.

Do you see a pattern emerging here? The government doesn't "DO" any of these things. They only allow it to happen; They only fail to prevent it. And I think that's a big part of the message here - "STOP. LETTING. THIS. HAPPEN."

If you get robbed and beaten up, do you blame the cops for not being there and tell the perpetrators that it's not their fault, because the cops let it happen? That's analogous to what I see when I hear people blaming the big bad government.

I'm tellin' ya man, this will not continue the way it's been going. Maybe this will subside and the unwashed masses will again be placated as a few scraps find them as the next bubble inflates, but eventually there will be more equitable distribution than what we have now; It's inevitable.

Actually in every one of your examples the politicians created the environment in which businesses found it more profitable to pursue those avenues of profit margin rather than their current course. So it still falls back on the politicians.

So if we agree, why are we arguing?

The protesters, at least as I understand and interpret the movement, are telling their elected officials to stop letting this happen.

And you disagree because, why?

So you did, my bad.

The protesters, at least as I understand and interpret the movement, are telling their elected officials to stop letting this happen.

If they were telling the politicians they'd be protesting in Washington DC, not Wall Street. AND working to change the current crop of people/regimes in charge (D and R). They're blaming the wrong people, and are economically clueless. Instead they think camping out and whining to the wrong people, about the wrong things, and making wrong-headed demands will change what has happened. Not gonna work. At all. And is a complete waste of resources/energy and time. On their part AND the people who have to deal with them and their cluelessness.

If they were telling the politicians they'd be protesting in Washington DC, not Wall Street. AND working to change the current crop of people/regimes in charge (D and R). They're blaming the wrong people, and are economically clueless. Instead they think camping out and whining to the wrong people, about the wrong things, and making wrong-headed demands will change what has happened. Not gonna work. At all. And is a complete waste of resources/energy and time. On their part AND the people who have to deal with them and their cluelessness.

Oh I disagree, I think what they're doing has certainly got their elected officials' attention. Of course the GOP who is the more laissez faire of the two is quick to demonize and marginalize the protesters, but they have their attention nonetheless.

The choice of Wall Street is symbolic, obviously, I don't think they have any intention of solving the problem there (or any of the other locations being 'occupied.')

And like any other movement, there are some clueless, some no doubt very bright, and a lot of everything in between.

But you agree that a.) the government didn't 'DO this,' but only 'ALLOWED it to happen,' and b.) The government needs to respond to the problem in a meaningful way. Correct?

Then I don't think you're so far off from me, and I don't understand why you ridicule these folks and post these ridiculous GOP stooge 'responses' to the movement.

edit: And I think I said early on and now I re-iterate, what makes me the most sick about this shit is the people acting like nothing is wrong. They worked their way through college 20 years ago, why can't today's lazy kids? BECAUSE THINGS HAVE CHANGED, ASSHOLE, THAT'S WHAT THE MOVEMENT IS ABOUT!

Last edited:

Oh I disagree, I think what they're doing has certainly got their elected officials' attention. Of course the GOP who is the more laissez faire of the two is quick to demonize and marginalize the protesters, but they have their attention nonetheless.

The choice of Wall Street is symbolic, obviously, I don't think they have any intention of solving the problem there (or any of the other locations being 'occupied.')

And like any other movement, there are some clueless, some no doubt very bright, and a lot of everything in between.

But you agree that a.) the government didn't 'DO this,' but only 'ALLOWED it to happen,' and b.) The government needs to respond to the problem in a meaningful way. Correct?

Then I don't think you're so far off from me, and I don't understand why you ridicule these folks and post these ridiculous GOP stooge 'responses' to the movement.

The government didn't allow this to happen. They actively created the environment for it to happen. Big difference. And of course those in government are trying to capitalize on it. Just look at Pelosi and others, who are part of the frigging problem, trying to "stand with the protestors". And the protestors lap it up. The ones who didn't are the ones who didn't allow John Lewis to speak. At least some of them recognized he is part of the problem too.

And the ones I posted were apolitical. So not sure how you got the idea they were GOP stooges. As I said previously, this is people who work hard vs. people who whine. And I'm going to fall on the side of the people who actually try to better themselves no matter what every time instead of people who whine to the wrong people, about the wrong problems, about decisions they personally made every time.

edit: And I think I said early on and now I re-iterate, what makes me the most sick about this shit is the people acting like nothing is wrong. They worked their way through college 20 years ago, why can't today's lazy kids? BECAUSE THINGS HAVE CHANGED, ASSHOLE, THAT'S WHAT THE MOVEMENT IS ABOUT!
To your edit: Hmmm. I used to be a university professor not too long ago and I had several students (actually most of my students because it was a state school) who worked and paid for their school.

The government didn't allow this to happen. They actively created the environment for it to happen. Big difference. And of course those in government are trying to capitalize on it. Just look at Pelosi and others, who are part of the frigging problem, trying to "stand with the protestors". And the protestors lap it up. The ones who didn't are the ones who didn't allow John Lewis to speak. At least some of them recognized he is part of the problem too.

And the ones I posted were apolitical. So not sure how you got the idea they were GOP stooges. As I said previously, this is people who work hard vs. people who whine. And I'm going to fall on the side of the people who actually try to better themselves no matter what every time instead of people who whine to the wrong people, about the wrong problems, about decisions they personally made every time.

THAT is EXACTLY the attitude that makes me think they're GOP stooges. "There's no problem, the only problem is that YOU DON'T WORK HARD ENOUGH."

That's the way GOPers see the world. They ignore the mathematics involved. Working hard 20-30-40 years ago got you somewhere. Working hard now and getting nowhere is the new norm.

THAT is EXACTLY the attitude that makes me think they're GOP stooges. "There's no problem, the only problem is that YOU DON'T WORK HARD ENOUGH."

That's the way GOPers see the world. They ignore the mathematics involved. Working hard 20-30-40 years ago got you somewhere. Working hard now and getting nowhere is the new norm.

nice strawman.

barley?

Things haven't changed that much. My brother just finishing working his way through a PhD in chemical engineering. At Vanderbilt. He has no student loans.

I worked my way through college a little over ten years ago at FSU. I have and had no student loans.

Also look at some of the other examples in the pics. Not all of them graduated 20+ years ago.

nice strawman.

barley?

Strawman? That's what they seem to insinuate and Radio seemed to agree, see bolded above. Where's the strawman?

Work hard and smart . This is the problem they have.

You can work hard at being a saddle maker, but I don't think you'll get very far. Gotta be a combination of both. But throwing up your hands and saying "just give me free stuff" is going to get my derision every time. I don't care what political party you are from.

Working hard by itself isn't going to get you anywhere. You gotta be smart about where you work and where you apply your energies.

stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward.

Must be why we hang out here.

Speaking of stupidity, why does Ropey have such a hard-on for you? :confused:

i'm an antisemite.

didn't you get the memo?

No, because he trolled me...

And now he is deep in pretension....

Pretending he didn't do the things he did.

So he calls me names hoping it can be spun into that.

It can't. :lol:

Last edited:

You can work hard at being a saddle maker, but I don't think you'll get very far. Gotta be a combination of both. But throwing up your hands and saying "just give me free stuff" is going to get my derision every time. I don't care what political party you are from.

Working hard by itself isn't going to get you anywhere. You gotta be smart about where you work and where you apply your energies.

There's less labor available. The pool is flooded which has driven down wages. There's going to be a lot more losers.

The ironic thing is that if I was predisposed to conservative thinking, I could have written some of these. I did work my ass off, and I did make it.

Not an excuse to ignore the mathematics. And I don't see this 'brand' that is demanding 'free stuff.' Insofar as I can tell that's a meme. A few, maybe, but that's not the preponderance of the movement as I see it. I see folks who want an opportunity. Pointing out that winners still exist doesn't disprove, nor should it dismiss, that any way you slice it there are going to be more losers than there used to be.

There's less labor available. The pool is flooded which has driven down wages. There's going to be a lot more losers.

The ironic thing is that if I was predisposed to conservative thinking, I could have written some of these. I did work my ass off, and I did make it.

Not an excuse to ignore the mathematics. And I don't see this 'brand' that is demanding 'free stuff.' Insofar as I can tell that's a meme. A few, maybe, but that's not the preponderance of the movement as I see it. I see folks who want an opportunity. Pointing out that winners still exist doesn't disprove, nor should it dismiss, that any way you slice it there are going to be more losers than there used to be.
He didn't ignore the 'math' (what you mentioned is more accurately arithmetic...just a pet peeve of mine, so no matter - just needed to say that). He said it's not just hard work that leads to success, it's both hard work and smart work.

So your math doesn't apply as it is both hard and smart work.

For example, I can work hard - 40-60 - hours a week folding paperclips, but I am going to be in the lower class doing unskilled labor and a labor that most persons CAN do. Thus, the supply for that wage keeps the wage down.

I have to work smart, too.

That applied in the 1940s and it applies now. So, little has changed - hard and smart work.

So train yourself in jobs that require less labor. Part of the work smarter thing.

If you don't see this brand that is demanding free stuff, I suggest you look a little harder at what some of the demands are of the protestors.

Both of you:

When I say labor, in this context I'm referring to JOBS.

There are LESS JOBS AVAILABLE. Less to go around, more losers. Even if everyone simultaneously starts working hard and smart, it will just raise the bar for everyone and there will be just as many losers; perhaps more as 'worker productivity' will go higher and flood the market more still.

You're not addressing that. You just keep repeating the same things over and over.

nice strawman.

barley?

Strawman? That's what they seem to insinuate and Radio seemed to agree, see bolded above. Where's the strawman?

the key word would be seem.

none of them said it.

strawman

Forum List

Back