Mercedes locks faster acceleration behind a $1,200 annual paywall

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia
"Mercedes is the latest manufacturer to lock auto features behind a subscription fee, with an upcoming 'Acceleration Increase' add-on that lets drivers pay to access motor performance their vehicle is already capable of."

"The subscription doesn't come with any physical hardware upgrades instead, it simply unlocks the full capabilities of the vehicle, indicating that Mercedes intentionally limited performance to later sell as an optional extra."

Mercedes is charging $1,200 a year for faster acceleration

Brings a whole new meaning to:

OIP.xt_l30j9s_GM4M2P2WhHOQHaB0

:laughing0301:

People will find a way around it. This isn't 100% related but my Nikon camera was limited to 29 minutes recording time because of tax issues (taxed less as a camera than a video recorder).

People have found a way around it. I can now d/l a small update and the restriction is gone. (disclaimer) one might want to wait until their warranties have expired.

Well, this is a splendid idea for ALL vehicles.
A great "first step".

The vast majority of people are responsible and don't really want to go 100mph+ in a 50mph zone.
Just get from point A to point B without losing their lives to some reckless assclown
It's just the dangerous imbeciles lacking self control.

Make sure to pass accompanying laws addressing those who illegally circumvent it.
1). Automatic forfeiture of the vehicle back to the finance entity. Or sold at public auction if privately owned.
2). Very heavy fines (enough to make sure they can't afford to commit crimes again)
3). Jail time. Yes, CRIMINALS belong behind bars we all agree.
4). MUCH heavier consequences for those who buy the ability for their vehicle to operate illegally and then choose to do so.

Slowly but surely COMMON SENSE is prevailing.

:yes_text12:

Last edited:
People will find a way around it. This isn't 100% related but my Nikon camera was limited to 29 minutes recording time because of tax issues (taxed less as a camera than a video recorder).

People have found a way around it. I can now d/l a small update and the restriction is gone. (disclaimer) one might want to wait until their warranties have expired.
They'll end up voiding their warranty. John Deere has a "black box" on their tractors now that only a J.D. tech can access, so many farmers cannot diagnose problems with their machines without calling, and paying, a J.D. tech. Many farmers know not only how to fix their tractors but how to get around the black box, but if they do the work, they void their warranty.

They'll end up voiding their warranty. John Deere has a "black box" on their tractors now that only a J.D. tech can access, so many farmers cannot diagnose problems with their machines without calling, and paying, a J.D. tech. Many farmers know not only how to fix their tractors but how to get around the black box, but if they do the work, they void their warranty.

The big 2 automakers lobbied heavily for a similar system for their vehicles (Ford, GM )
It was narrowly defeated.
I'm sure it will come up for vote again and probably pass at some point.
We got ObamaCare after all and that was unconstitutional.

With Obama Care most people have to spend about $20,000 / year in PREMIUMS and deductibles before any insurance pays a dime.
What a phenomenal windfall for insurance companies !
What is $20,000 x 100,000,000 ? (A really BIG number)
This means the average working class American spends at least HALF his/her annual income on health care.
Seven health insurance CEOs raked in a record $283 million last year
Seven health insurance CEOs raked in a record $283 million last year

ObamaCare (ACA) is only good in the event of a catastrophic medical event. And in that case they are getting rid of people early in the process to cut payouts and ruling it "heart attack" etc.

It really is of no concern what the people want or what's best for them. The world is controlled by corporate interests.

Last edited:
"Mercedes is the latest manufacturer to lock auto features behind a subscription fee, with an upcoming 'Acceleration Increase' add-on that lets drivers pay to access motor performance their vehicle is already capable of."

"The subscription doesn't come with any physical hardware upgrades instead, it simply unlocks the full capabilities of the vehicle, indicating that Mercedes intentionally limited performance to later sell as an optional extra."

Mercedes is charging $1,200 a year for faster acceleration

Brings a whole new meaning to:

OIP.xt_l30j9s_GM4M2P2WhHOQHaB0

:laughing0301:
Does .9 seconds faster really matter to the average driver?

This whole 0 tp 60 mph thing is beyond stupid.

Heard the same thing about a subscription to activate heated seats.
At the current price of vehicles, every damn feature better be available or I simply won't buy it.
Anyone who willingly pays these subscription fees are morons.

Does .9 seconds faster really matter to the average driver?

This whole 0 tp 60 mph thing is beyond stupid.
I doubt it.

That said if you buy something the buyer should be able to realize all it's capabilities under the law.

The simple solution is just don't play their little fuck-fuck games and get something else.

Heard the same thing about a subscription to activate heated seats.
At the current price of vehicles, every damn feature better be available or I simply won't buy it.
Anyone who willingly pays these subscription fees are morons.

Some of it makes sense..........I sold cars in the past. I recall selling a car and the owner saying afterwards he wished he had got heated seats and wondered if they could be added. (not worth the effort).

In this scenario he could have added them. Maybe the original purchaser of a car only drives around town. The next owner drives out of town and would like to have GPS activated.

Well, this is a splendid idea for ALL vehicles.
A great "first step".

The vast majority of people are responsible and don't really want to go 100mph+ in a 50mph zone.
Just get from point A to point B without losing their lives to some reckless assclown
It's just the dangerous imbeciles lacking self control.

Make sure to pass accompanying laws addressing those who illegally circumvent it.
1). Automatic forfeiture of the vehicle back to the finance entity. Or sold at public auction if privately owned.
2). Very heavy fines (enough to make sure they can't afford to commit crimes again)
3). Jail time. Yes, CRIMINALS belong behind bars we all agree.
4). MUCH heavier consequences for those who buy the ability for their vehicle to operate illegally and then choose to do so.

Slowly but surely COMMON SENSE is prevailing.

:yes_text12:

71zm6o.jpg

ALL manufacturers are going to this "maximum revenue" model over "Consumer Satisfaction" model.
ALL OF THEM.

They don't even care if it destroys the planet as long as it means consumers are FORCES to buy from them and repeatedly.

So you will not be able to simply buy another brand.to get around it.

Some of it makes sense..........I sold cars in the past. I recall selling a car and the owner saying afterwards he wished he had got heated seats and wondered if they could be added. (not worth the effort).

In this scenario he could have added them. Maybe the original purchaser of a car only drives around town. The next owner drives out of town and would like to have GPS activated.
But the owner is already paying for the heated seats in the sticker price. He should not have to pay to activate them.....If he does then he's a fuckin' rube.

Typical

When you don't like the message (true or not), always resort to insults and name calling.
Because it's all you have.

Oh the agony! You might be forced to follow the law and actually be safe on public roads.
Enjoy your factory speed LIMITED vehicles :itsok:

Maybe if you give up the 100 lbs of bacon weekly or the next 100 guns you plan to buy this month you might be able to afford the unlock.

Priorities. Deal with it.

But the owner is already paying for the heated seats in the sticker price. He should not have to pay to activate them.....If he does then he's a fuckin' rube.

I don't disagree. I'm just saying this could be positive or negative depending on how it's used.

And as far as the original example goes........dealers did this in the past also. It was certainly more labor intensive but you could get a dealer to pull your 305 and put in a 427 for added HP. They wouldn't do this for free.

After decades of nanny government, we now have nanny corporations. "fact checking," our speech, controlling the goods they sell to us after we buy them, and selling information they gather about us from the monitoring capability they build into their products.

My next vehicle will be a chip-free classic. They are surprisingly affordable, and I know how to work on them myself. I have security cameras around my house, but I would never bring one into my home.

Typical

When you don't like the message (true or not), always resort to insults and name calling.
Because it's all you have.

Oh the agony! You might be forced to follow the law and actually be safe on public roads.
Enjoy your factory speed LIMITED vehicles :itsok:
What can I say, I call balls and strikes as I see them.

Anyway you should be honored, you inspiried me to make that meme......I plan on using it on your ilk....A lot. ;)

After decades of nanny government, we now have nanny corporations. "fact checking," our speech, controlling the goods they sell to us after we buy them, and selling information they gather about us from the monitoring capability they build into their products.

My next vehicle will be a chip-free classic. They are surprisingly affordable, and I know how to work on them myself. I have security cameras around my house, but I would never bring one into my home.

As we move further and further Left, car ownership will diminish.
Look at ANY 3rd world nation (which America is rapidly becoming)

Priorities will shift back to the real necessities....food...shelter....survival.

We've become very luxury addicted in this modern era which seems to be cracking at the foundation.
EVERYONE has to drive a Mercedes or BMW......

As we move further and further Left, car ownership will diminish.
Look at ANY 3rd world nation (which America is rapidly becoming)

Priorities will shift back to the real necessities....food...shelter....survival.

We've become very luxury addicted in this modern era which seems to be cracking at the foundation.
EVERYONE has to drive a Mercedes or BMW......

I can't say that I know anyone that thinks that way.

Forum List

Back