Mercedes locks faster acceleration behind a $1,200 annual paywall

If these cars were being leased or rented, I could almost accept this.

If the person who is in possession of the car isn't the one who actually owns it, then the owner surely has some authority to set conditions on how that car is to be used, and to charge extra for the use of some of that car's features.

But if you buy a car, then you own it; you own every bit of hardware that is included in that car, and every feature with which that car is equipped.

I think it amounts to outright fraud, to sell a car to a consumer, but to hold any of the hardware in that car hostage to any additional fees or subscriptions. I think this should be flatly illegal.

Last edited:
The more I know about the average Trumpster and the average Bidenistas......
The more I can see the need to impose restrictions.

If you people were able to manage freedom and self control the nation would not be crumbling.

One of the biggest flaws in the US Constitution is that it hands out freedom too easily to all...even those who cannot handle it and who wreak havoc on society through taking assumed liberties that deprive others of theirs.

So, all of us “little people” are too stupid to be allowed basic freedom, and we need wise elitists like yourself to decide of us what freedoms we should or should not have, and what conditions are to be tied thereto?

That seems to be pretty much all that you seem to be saying throughout this entire thread.

Maybe you should consider emigrating to some totalitarian shithole, and leave this country for those of us who prefer the principles on which it was founded.

Well, this is a splendid idea for ALL vehicles.
A great "first step".

The vast majority of people are responsible and don't really want to go 100mph+ in a 50mph zone.
Just get from point A to point B without losing their lives to some reckless assclown
It's just the dangerous imbeciles lacking self control.

Make sure to pass accompanying laws addressing those who illegally circumvent it.
1). Automatic forfeiture of the vehicle back to the finance entity. Or sold at public auction if privately owned.
2). Very heavy fines (enough to make sure they can't afford to commit crimes again)
3). Jail time. Yes, CRIMINALS belong behind bars we all agree.
4). MUCH heavier consequences for those who buy the ability for their vehicle to operate illegally and then choose to do so.

Slowly but surely COMMON SENSE is prevailing.

:yes_text12:
You are a totalitarian idiot. Punish drivers who violate traffic laws. since you are so abysmally ignorant, I will tell you that traffic laws are passed for safety reasons, not social engineering.

So, all of us “little people” are too stupid to be allowed basic freedom, and we need wise elitists like yourself to decide of us what freedoms we should or should not have, and what conditions are to be tied thereto?

That seems to be pretty much all that you seem to be saying throughout this entire thread.

Maybe you should consider emigrating to some totalitarian shithole, and leave this country for those of us who prefer the principles on which it was founded.
He’s the kind of person the founding fathers were trying to build a system to protect us from.

Well obviously the used car lot you work for caters to the lower income tier.
Or those who don't need to keep up with the Joneses.
I actually don't like new cars.

I just got back from Atlanta and every grocery store parking lot is full of Benz's and BMW's...Lincolns and Teslas.
Ditto with WPB Florida and Broward county Florida. Let's not mention California or NY

If you ever lived in any of the vast majority of nations outside the USA you would see how utterly ridiculous and spoiled Americans are.
It all depends on the neighborhood. In Ca I used to work in Calabasas, nearly every car you saw on the streets was a hundred grand or more, Ferraris, Lambos, Masaratis and Rolls were far more common than Buicks and Lincolns. Drive two miles down the freeway to Woodland Hills and nearly every car you saw was twenty grand or less. Drive another five minutes and you were in Canoga Park filled with junkers, used cars and people dependent on mass transit.

Feds Recommend Speed Limiting Technology in New Cars: Everybody Panic​

The National Transportation Safety Board has a simple request: Cars need to slow down to save lives, possibly via technology if the dumb humans behind the wheel refuse to do it. While it sounds like a potential nightmare scenario let’s take a look at the facts.

COMMON SENSE !! :yes_text12:

You first. Buy a 50hp car that is limited to 60mph. Then kindly shut your hole.

Too many Americans are just absolute morons. Any surprise America is in the bad shape it is in?
They believe the Constitution and Bill of Rights means "Do whatever you want, whenever you want to, to whomever you want to"
This is just how ludicrously spoiled and low information a majority of Americans are.
The political and judicial chaos perfectly reflects that stupidity.

Yep, looks like Americans will have to be brought back down to reality the hard way.

You would not know reality if it crawled up your nose and did the can-can.

If it happens, I suspect the hack to disable this will be out in <48 hours.

A friend of mine once bought an Audi A6, then after he got it, he regretted it because he really wanted an S6 (higher performance). Both cars were turbo V-6's.

He whined to the dealer about it, and the dealer said they could make the conversion for him. All it took was a change of "chips" and the addition of some identifying hardware. He would have to leave the car - they had to actually send the original "chip" back to Audi and it would be replaced by a higher-performance part. I forget how much it cost him, but it was enough that he REALLY had to want it.

He did it, and it worked out just as he wanted it to.

I've often wondered what the difference is among the various 2-liter turbo four's that Mfgrs offer. GM has one that has as little as 220HP, but it also has them that are over 300HP (in the Camaro, I think). All are the same displacement, turbo-four's. The same is true for VW-Audi-Porsche. Some have 185 HP (Tiguan), and some have well over 300 HP (Cayman). Is the turbo different, or is it just a matter of a "chip"?

If it's just a chip, or an easily-replaced turbo, you would think that SOMEBODY would be offering that service, because it would be worth quite a bit of money to some consumers.

Why not?

Boost, usually. Often required fuel grade. (More boost=premium gas.) Frequently cams, head designs, compression, the turbo system itself, or all four.

Forum List

Back