Medieval Times (Show): History Toys

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament is a family dinner theater featuring staged medieval-style games, sword-fighting, andjousting. Medieval Times Entertainment, the holding company for the nine theaters, is headquartered in Irving, Texas.

In 2016, there are nine theaters, located in Buena Park, California; Dallas, Texas; Schaumburg, Illinois; Lyndhurst, New Jersey;Hanover, Maryland; Myrtle Beach, South Carolina; Atlanta, Georgia; Orlando, Florida and Toronto, Ontario, Canada (source of information: Wikipedia).

I went to the Medieval Times show in 1991 (when I was in junior-high school), and I thought it was the perfect school field-trip, and it was endorsed by the head of our junior-high history department.

Whether or not you're into Medieval history or culture-themed parks such as Dutch Wonderland or Colonial Williamsburg, the Medieval Times Dinner and Tournament offers something for just about everyone:

1. students interested in history vignettes/costumes/action
2. artists interested in era-authentic re-enactments/performances
3. photographers interested in 'living culture' presentations
4. anthropologists interested in medieval times iconography
5. historians interested in battle characterizations/costumes

====

The audience sits around a central area in which knights joust, parry, and ride around in horses surrounded by stimulating sounds. Food and beverages are served by hostesses/waitresses dressed in authentic Medieval Age tavern-dress. The NJ center waitresses are even authentically called 'tavern-wenches' or 'maids.'

m2.jpg

Whatever you take away from such an experience, you'll at least be a tad bit more curious about the 'living experience' of seeing knights tangle from the Medieval era. Swordplay and engagements are safe and nonviolent but performed with great interest/care and reflect some of the athletic prowess of the knights from that period in history.

m4.jpg

There are multiple knights, sometimes 'patroned' by the assigned sections of different areas of the audience (e.g., Red Knight -- red audience seating section, etc.). It's up to you how you want to cheer on your assigned delegate-colored knight, and this experience is enthralling for parents looking to bond with their kids regarding history education that is much more dynamic than perhaps a video documentary.

m3.jpg

My own experiences at the Medieval Times show in New Jersey were terrific, and I remembered the junior-high field trip as a perfect learning and immersion experience, and it made me more curious about history and the Medieval Ages in general! Furthermore, the food and drinks are quite good!

:dance:

====

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

m1.jpg

Forum List

Back