Mechanochemical breakthrough unlocks cheap, safe, powdered hydrogen

The report is the typical newspaper rah rah. I am trying to find some of thir actual work but so far I haven't been able to.

Agreed. This may be nothing more than a pipe dream - but look at how the greens reacted? The prospect of clean, cheap, safe energy terrifies them - confronts their entire scam

That being said, the savings in separating out the hydrocarbons needed for plastic creation is interesting.

However, they trade one weight, heavy steel pressure cylinders, for another weight, sand, for the transport of the hydrogen so I see no net gain at all. In fact there is another loss at the receiving end as the hydrogen is removed from the sand.

We don't know the storage capacity. By volume, gasoline is heavier than coarse sand. It depends on how many BTU's are contained. If this could store large amounts of energy and release it on demand - it would be the end of fuel problems on earth.

That's a lot of "if's" - but it's something promising - not hype like solar.

Hydrogen is the most plentiful element on earth. It's far from "rare." Water - our oceans, are made of hydrogen and oxygen.

{Hydrogen, as atomic H, is the most abundant chemical element in the universe, making up 75 percent of normal matter by mass and more than 90 percent by number of atoms.}

I said "hydrogen gas" ... H2 ... there's a chemical bond there ...

Disassociating water into hydrogen gas and oxygen gas is kitchen counter chemistry ... just about any child's "Explore Science" book will give the set up for children to do at home ... and for small amounts that's fine ... but it's damn expensive at industrial scale ... when we say we use fossil fuels for agricultural fertilizer ... we're not using the carbon part, it's the hydrogen part we're after, must cheaper to pull hydrogen off of carbon than it is oxygen ... thus my claim we're better off just burning the fossil fuels rather than burning fossil fuels to make hydrogen gas out of fossil fuels ... (and pulling hydrogen off of nitrogen is a little different ... as the Lebanese know all too well now ... [ka'boom]) ...

You're thinking graduate level astrophysics when this is a matter for high school chemistry ...

So you deny that you stupidly wrote "Hydrogen doesn't create energy. It stores energy, after going through energy losses. " in post #5
So you're claiming that means I said "Hydrogen isn't a fuel"?

Really?

Come on. If you're going to lie about me out of loser-butthurt, at least don't be so stupid with your lies.

Forum List

Back