Mechanochemical breakthrough unlocks cheap, safe, powdered hydrogen

Doc7505

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2016

18 Jul 2022 ~~ By Loz Blain

Australian scientists say they've made a "eureka moment" breakthrough in gas separation and storage that could radically reduce energy use in the petrochemical industry, while making hydrogen much easier and safer to store and transport in a powder.
Nanotechnology researchers, based at Deakin University's Institute for Frontier Materials, claim to have found a super-efficient way to mechanochemically trap and hold gases in powders, with potentially enormous and wide-ranging industrial implications.
~Snip~
The team has demonstrated that grinding certain amounts of certain powders with precise pressure levels of certain gases can trigger a mechanochemical reaction that absorbs the gas into the powder and stores it there, giving you what's essentially a solid-state storage medium that can hold the gases safely at room temperature until they're needed. The gases can be released as required, by heating the powder up to a certain point.
~Snip~
The results are absolutely remarkable from a numbers standpoint. This process, for example, could separate hydrocarbon gases out from crude oil using less than 10% of the energy that's needed today. "Currently, the petrol industry uses a cryogenic process," says Chen. "Several gases come up together, so to purify and separate them, they cool everything down to a liquid state at very low temperature, and then heat it all together. Different gases evaporate at different temperatures, and that's how they separate them out."
~Snip~
Clearly, this advance has some potentially enormous implications, which could contribute greatly to energy use reduction, emissions reduction, the green energy transition and even reducing fuel and chemical prices. The team has submitted provisional patent applications, and we look forward to learning what's possible as the method is refined and tailored to useful applications.

Commentary:
If this process as described truly reduces the dangers of storage for Hydrogen and other gases like Methane these scientists have made a great breakthrough.
There is another question to this supposed breakthrough. They have not revealed the energy density of this storage system, or how much energy is lost when extracting the available hydrogen.
In theory, this process would solve the problem of storing and transporting hydrogen and other gases for vehicles and Space craft.

If this is reliably confirmed as viable, just think about the sheer amount of stored energy can be created by being able to convert it to powder and transported safely...

Last edited:
I want to be the first to powdered hydrogen in one of these. Does anyone even know what one of these is?

:laughing0301:

1658354296057.png

Hydrogen doesn't create energy. It stores energy, after going through energy losses. That's why fuel cell cars and hydrogen cars have failed. There's no advantage to them over electric.

Just when we think you can't get any dumber.

Just when we think you can't get any dumber.
So tell us all about the economic success of hydrogen cars.

They have no advantages over electric.

"Faster refueling" isn't an advantage if there's no fuel.

Batteries are more efficient than hydrogen. The OP says hydrogen is improving, but so are batteries.

So tell us all about the economic success of hydrogen cars.

They have no advantages over electric.

"Faster refueling" isn't an advantage if there's no fuel.

Batteries are more efficient than hydrogen. The OP says hydrogen is improving, but so are batteries.

Regardless - your stupidity about hydrogen not being fuel is laughable.

The issue with hydrogen is it's dangerous - witness the Hindenburg. Did some fucking retard say Hydrogen isn't an energy source? How fucking stupid would you have to be to say something like that?

IF this is as it is presented, then this changes EVERYTHING - safe storage of hydrogen totally changes the energy paradigm. Which means the green gangsters will KILL to keep it from fruition. No doubt you'll start lying to trash this now..

Opps, you already have.

Regardless - your stupidity about hydrogen not being fuel is laughable.
If you can't argue against what I actually said, that doesn't mean you should just make up a weirdass story about what I supposedly said.

Go on. Show where I said "hydrogen isn't fuel". This should be hilarious.

The issue with hydrogen is it's dangerous
That's just a small part of it. The main issues are that it's less efficient than batteries, and there's no distribution infrastructure for it. You know, the practical things that non-idiots take into account.

Did some fucking retard say Hydrogen isn't an energy source?
I just did, when I said "Hydrogen doesn't create energy". Your reading comprehension issues are getting worse.

IF this is as it is presented, then this changes EVERYTHING - safe storage of hydrogen totally changes the energy paradigm. Which means the green gangsters will KILL to keep it from fruition. No doubt you'll start lying to trash this now..
And to nobody's surprise, you quickly devolved into paranoid conspiracy babbling.

But that's right, this vaporware means that EVs are dead. I suggest you back up your mouth with your money, if you're so certain you're right.

If you can't argue against what I actually said, that doesn't mean you should just make up a weirdass story about what I supposedly said.

Go on. Show where I said "hydrogen isn't fuel". This should be hilarious.

That's just a small part of it. The main issues are that it's less efficient than batteries, and there's no distribution infrastructure for it. You know, the practical things that non-idiots take into account.

I just did, when I said "Hydrogen doesn't create energy". Your reading comprehension issues are getting worse.

And to nobody's surprise, you quickly devolved into paranoid conspiracy babbling.

But that's right, this vaporware means that EVs are dead. I suggest you back up your mouth with your money, if you're so certain you're right.

Yet your reaction to all this was to start lying.

Green is about cash - always was.

Where are we getting the hydrogen gas? ... there's plenty on the Sun and Jupiter ... but it's a bit rare here on Earth ... methane has easy hydrogen, but why not just burn the methane? ... it's not that hydrogen doesn't work, it's just not any better than what we have already ...

EVs are great where electricity is cheap and carbon neutral ... otherwise don't bother ...

What a convoluted mess. First you have to produce raw hydrogen, then you process raw hydrogen into powder, then transport powder, then process powder back to raw hydrogen? Not very efficient.

I'm still waiting for you to show everyone where I said hydrogen wasn't fuel.

Instead of doing that, you're deflecting with "Waaa! You're a liar."

Now, tell us more about how you're going to invest in this awesome new game-changing technology.
So you deny that you stupidly wrote "Hydrogen doesn't create energy. It stores energy, after going through energy losses. " in post #5

Energy is never created nor destroyed - one of the laws of physics.

Hydrogen though, is one of the most plentiful sources of energy in the universe.

Where are we getting the hydrogen gas? ... there's plenty on the Sun and Jupiter ... but it's a bit rare here on Earth ... methane has easy hydrogen, but why not just burn the methane? ... it's not that hydrogen doesn't work, it's just not any better than what we have already ...

EVs are great where electricity is cheap and carbon neutral ... otherwise don't bother ...

Hydrogen is the most plentiful element on earth. It's far from "rare." Water - our oceans, are made of hydrogen and oxygen.

{Hydrogen, as atomic H, is the most abundant chemical element in the universe, making up 75 percent of normal matter by mass and more than 90 percent by number of atoms.}

18 Jul 2022 ~~ By Loz Blain

Australian scientists say they've made a "eureka moment" breakthrough in gas separation and storage that could radically reduce energy use in the petrochemical industry, while making hydrogen much easier and safer to store and transport in a powder.
Nanotechnology researchers, based at Deakin University's Institute for Frontier Materials, claim to have found a super-efficient way to mechanochemically trap and hold gases in powders, with potentially enormous and wide-ranging industrial implications.
~Snip~
The team has demonstrated that grinding certain amounts of certain powders with precise pressure levels of certain gases can trigger a mechanochemical reaction that absorbs the gas into the powder and stores it there, giving you what's essentially a solid-state storage medium that can hold the gases safely at room temperature until they're needed. The gases can be released as required, by heating the powder up to a certain point.
~Snip~
The results are absolutely remarkable from a numbers standpoint. This process, for example, could separate hydrocarbon gases out from crude oil using less than 10% of the energy that's needed today. "Currently, the petrol industry uses a cryogenic process," says Chen. "Several gases come up together, so to purify and separate them, they cool everything down to a liquid state at very low temperature, and then heat it all together. Different gases evaporate at different temperatures, and that's how they separate them out."
~Snip~
Clearly, this advance has some potentially enormous implications, which could contribute greatly to energy use reduction, emissions reduction, the green energy transition and even reducing fuel and chemical prices. The team has submitted provisional patent applications, and we look forward to learning what's possible as the method is refined and tailored to useful applications.

Commentary:
If this process as described truly reduces the dangers of storage for Hydrogen and other gases like Methane these scientists have made a great breakthrough.
There is another question to this supposed breakthrough. They have not revealed the energy density of this storage system, or how much energy is lost when extracting the available hydrogen.
In theory, this process would solve the problem of storing and transporting hydrogen and other gases for vehicles and Space craft.

The report is the typical newspaper rah rah. I am trying to find some of thir actual work but so far I haven't been able to.

That being said, the savings in separating out the hydrocarbons needed for plastic creation is interesting.

However, they trade one weight, heavy steel pressure cylinders, for another weight, sand, for the transport of the hydrogen so I see no net gain at all. In fact there is another loss at the receiving end as the hydrogen is removed from the sand.

Forum List

Back