McDonnell apologizes for omitting slavery reference

Not to mention the fact that half of Northern Virginia is now populated with transplanted Northerners, and VA has a very large Black population.

I'm sure a month devoted to fond recollections of the Confederacy would not be appreciated by ANY of those people.

There were roughly 490,000 slaves in Virginia in 1860. I don't know how you would reconcile that fact with a claim that a Virginia Confederate Heritage Month has nothing to do with slavery.

As an aside, I'd just be curious as to what Virginia's history month plans to do with John Brown,

who was hanged for treason against the state of Virginia, for his efforts to free the slaves.

NY, he's just another misguided soul who has chosen to believe that the civil war had nothing to do with slavery. The most laughable position in history.

Nowhere in this thread has ANYONE stated that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery.
:lol: You said fighting in the war had nothing to do with slavery. That's just bullshit. You need to have your head examined.

There were roughly 490,000 slaves in Virginia in 1860. I don't know how you would reconcile that fact with a claim that a Virginia Confederate Heritage Month has nothing to do with slavery.

As an aside, I'd just be curious as to what Virginia's history month plans to do with John Brown,

who was hanged for treason against the state of Virginia, for his efforts to free the slaves.

NY, he's just another misguided soul who has chosen to believe that the civil war had nothing to do with slavery. The most laughable position in history.

Nowhere in this thread has ANYONE stated that the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery.

because they can't.

The Civil War had everything to do with Slavery. The rights of the slave owning states and the new territories to own and trade slaves.

I apologize for all the Democrats who wanted to own their slaves so badly they rather fight their own brothers

I apologize for all the Democrats who wanted to own their slaves so badly they rather fight their own brothers

yeah, all those poor old dead white conservative Democrats who's relations later left the Democratic party over civil rights and who ran into the welcoming arms of the racists at the GOP

:lol:

Last edited:

yeah, all those poor Democrats who's relations later left the Democratic party over civil rights and who ran into the welcoming arms of the GOP

Gore Sr and Robert Byrd left the Dem Party?

Yeah?

It's Dante's News Hour

two who stayed behind and repented and later went on to help right a few wrongs. the others got to keep their hoods in the new GOP Southern strategy. Strom Thurmond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The civil war started over states rights, taxes, tarrifs, etc. Slavery was thrown in to get the northerners on board for the war.
Also the emancipation proclamation did not free slaves in northern states only in southern states.

I apologize for Dante and not just for slavery either

Southern Democrats are members of the U.S. Democratic Party who reside in the American South. In the early 1800s, they were the definitive pro-slavery wing of the party, opposed to both the anti-slavery Republicans (GOP) and the more liberal Northern Democrats.

After losing control of their party and territory in the American Civil War, and during the Republican-led Reconstruction that followed, Southern Democrats regrouped into various vigilante organizations such as the Ku Klux Klan and the White League.
Southern Democrats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
After World War II, during the civil rights movement, Democrats in the South initially still voted loyally with their party. The signing of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, however, was the last straw for many Southern Democrats, who began voting against Democratic incumbents for GOP candidates. The Republicans carried many Southern states for the first time since before the Great Depression.

When Richard Nixon courted voters with his Southern Strategy, many Democrats became Republicans and the South became fertile ground for the GOP, which conversely was becoming more conservative as the Democrats were becoming more liberal. However, Democratic incumbents still held sway over voters in many states, especially those of the Deep South. In fact, until the 1980s, Democrats still had much control over Southern politics.

It wasn't until the 1990s that Democratic control collapsed, starting with the elections of 1994, in which Republicans gained control of both houses of Congress, through the rest of the decade. Southern Democrats of today who vote the Democratic ticket are mostly urban liberals. Rural residents tend to vote the Republican ticket, although there are a sizable number of conservative Democrats.

The GOP won control by appealing to the old racists

Last edited:
GOP: 'We were wrong' to play racial politics

By Richard Benedetto, USA TODAY

Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman apologized to one of the nation's largest black civil rights groups Thursday, saying Republicans had not done enough to court blacks in the past and had exploited racial strife to court white voters, particularly in the South.

USATODAY.com - GOP: 'We were wrong' to play racial politics

:lol: You said fighting in the war had nothing to do with slavery. That's just bullshit. You need to have your head examined.

Comprehension is not your strong suit is it? What I SAID, was McDonnell's proclomation of Confederate Heritage month had nothing to do with slavery.

yeah, all those poor Democrats who's relations later left the Democratic party over civil rights and who ran into the welcoming arms of the GOP

Yeah?

It's Dante's News Hour

two who stayed behind and repented and later went on to help right a few wrongs. the others got to keep their hoods in the new GOP Southern strategy. Strom Thurmond - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last time I checked Byrd was still the only person calling people "White *******"

LBJ had the best Southern Strategy

Comprehension is not your strong suit is it? What I SAID, was McDonnell's proclomation of Confederate Heritage month had nothing to do with slavery.
But this proclamation was about Confederate Heritage Month. It sought to educate Vriginians about their ancestors who fought in the war. 99% of whom were too poor to own a single slave. This has NOTHING to do with slavery.
:eusa_liar:

We don't need to court the "Black" vote, the "Illegal Alien" vote or the "Non-living" vote!

If you want more of your freedom and money vote Conservative; if you don't, just keep voting Dem.

And again, I apologize for Dems and Dante.

Yeah?

It's Dante's News Hour

Last time I checked Byrd was still the only person calling people "White *******"

LBJ had the best Southern Strategy

when was that?

I guess Byrd is a product of his times and place? The South. :lol:

thanks for playing

:cool:

Forum List

Back