McDonalds has 50,000 job openings; To have National Hiring Day?? Why?

McDonalds got a waiver from ObamaCare. It's not inconceivable that part of the price was a big Hiring Day PR Event that could be shilled as job creation.

It's also a sign of the economy: fast food is growing as higher quality food becomes increasingly expensive.

Do you have a lifestyle that could be supported by McDonalds minimum wages?

If you are collecting a gov't check (unemployment), then your lifestyle can be supported by a minimum wage job.
Start selling your assets, and make deep cuts in your budget.

I did while I was on unemployment.

It's not that I don't think everyone has to do an honest days' work. But let's assume one does everything you said. You can't not pay your mortgage. You can't let your credit go because if you do, you can't get more credit and the interest/payments on your existing and outstanding credit keeps going up.

Then what if there is an illness in the family while you're making these lifestyle changes?

Hint: You go bankrupt because you've lost your health insurance when you lost your job and couldn't afford the COBRA payments.

Then what?

Or what if someone is 50 and is no longer marketable? They aren't getting a job as a fry cook when the company can invest its money into an 18 year old who might stay with the company for a while

It's so easy to judge and to call people lazy... most people would welcome a fair day's wage for a fair day's work.

Too many "what ifs"

There are millions of people who have have everything and lost it all.... only to make it all over again.

I live my life well within my means so that if an emergency comes up, I can better handle it.
Life is going to throw us curveballs, but we cant expect the gov't to bail us out.... we should have a network of people you can go to in a time of need.

No, I do not. Am I entitled to that lifestyle? NO. I am not. If I lose my job, I'll adjust my lifestyle to what I am able to earn, NOT bitch and whine about why someone else should have to pay more to the gov't in order to subsidize my prior lifestyle.

Guess what? Life sucks, it's hard, and at times unfair. If you are not employed, working for McDonalds can ONLY improve your life.

Working > Not working. That equation should be among the laws of the universe.

So, your logic is that if you are UNEMPLOYED but are used to a lifestyle of earning 50K a year, then rather than swallow some ego and earn 20K a year, you'd say keep sitting on your arse and earning 0K per year out of spite and/or pride? WTF?

You're 50K lifestyle doesn't exactly come to a grinding halt when you lose your job. You most likely have a mortgage and car payment and utilities all in the pipeline and all of those obligations will expect to be paid each month just like when you had a job. When you go get a 20K job, you have 40% of what you had coming in, but the mortgage company and the bank with your car loan are not going to accept a 40% payment. Sure, they'll take it, but they still expect you to come up with the other 60%. Can you sell your house and car to get out from under them? Sure, over time.....not overnight. And if you sell your car, how are you going to get to job interviews. In fact, if you take the 20K job, is you boss going to be excited when you ask off a few hours three or four times a week to go interview for a job in hopes of finding another job that will keep you from dropping into financial ruin? Telling a person who has lost a decent paying job to go flip burgers for a little over minimum wage is a catch 22. Yes, you are making "some" money to hold the creditors at bay, but not enough to sustian it long term. And taking that less paying job prevents you from searching for a better job. By the grace of God, I've never been out of work since the day I graduated college back in 79. But I know a lot of people who have and it is never as easy as "man up and go flip burgers".

Nah, dude, it really is that easy.

25K is more than 0K. Theres no magical "Employment Fairy" thats gonna leave a good job under our pillows one night.

The ONLY legitimate thing you said was that taking that low paying job cuts into hours that one could use looking for a better job. But does it really? Work 25 hours a week at McD's. They have a 3rd shift. So lets say you work 10pm-6am, 3 nights a week. That leaves 4 days a week off. And 16 hours a day on the days you do work. Thats PLENTY of time to check the classifieds, internet search, etc, for a better job.

I, like you, have been blessed by God to never face such an emploment crisis. But part of the reason is during my first few post-grad years, I worked shitty jobs like this til my dream job showed up.

But the fact remains: Earning something > earning nothing. That equation is as true as gravity. The only obstacle is one's ego. Get over that, and work is there.

Oh, people will work for minimum wage. People in the 16 to 18 year old bracket in high school living at home. It isn't that people won't work for minimum wage, it is that they can't live on minimum wage. Minimum wage is for aftger school and summer starter jobs for kids, not adults with a family.

If thats the case, why are all the fast food places in my area employed by hispanics who can barely speak english? Im sure they are all legal and just doing the jobs that Americans wont do.

Not a pointed question at you, but just making a point.

I do stand corrected. Teenagers and Mexicans. I live in Oklahoma, so I know of what you speak. American minimum wage is like hitting a jackpot when you come from a nation like Mexico. But then they squeeze 20 guys into a shack, 10 to a truck and eat beans to survive on it.

Well said, I'm always amazed by people who sit around jobless for months when they need the money.

I'm lucky enough to have a decent job, but if I got canned and there was hypothetically only jobs like this available I'd take it rather than nothing.

If you are over-qualified, take the job, and continue your job search WHILE you have a job.

I can't imagine living on $15,080.

Actually bucs, working at McDonalds ruins your chances of getting a full time job.

1. It makes you unavailiable for job fairs, interviews and the time it takes to apply for other jobs.

2. Having McDonalds on your resume hurts you. Especially if you have an education. No hiring manager is going to be impressed you worked with high school dropouts. NONE.

3. That job is such shit. I mean no benefits, on your feet at all times, dealing with people btiching about their food. Barely any discounts on the food to eat for lunch.

4. Its part time, not full time so once again no benefits.

It would irresponsible for someone to take a job at McDonalds. Save the leeches comment. They worked and earned their unemployment.

No, I do not. Am I entitled to that lifestyle? NO. I am not. If I lose my job, I'll adjust my lifestyle to what I am able to earn, NOT bitch and whine about why someone else should have to pay more to the gov't in order to subsidize my prior lifestyle.

Guess what? Life sucks, it's hard, and at times unfair. If you are not employed, working for McDonalds can ONLY improve your life.

So, your logic is that if you are UNEMPLOYED but are used to a lifestyle of earning 50K a year, then rather than swallow some ego and earn 20K a year, you'd say keep sitting on your arse and earning 0K per year out of spite and/or pride? WTF?

How are people supposed to adjust when they have a mortgage that can't be paid with a minimum wage salary? Sell their house? In this market? That's just not an option in todays market for millions of people with the value of homes in the shitter. People would need to come up with 20-30k or more at closing very often just to get out from under their house. Life isn't always as simple as you'd want to make it out to be.

^^So in your scenario, earning 0K a year would be better than earning 20K a year? WTF?

It's a tough situation. But which option is worse:

A) Keep not working, keep earning 0$. Hope Obama saves us all.
B) Take a shitty job, earn $20K a year, hope for better to come.

Less of two evils. But NOT WORKING is not the answer.

Oh, people will work for minimum wage. People in the 16 to 18 year old bracket in high school living at home. It isn't that people won't work for minimum wage, it is that they can't live on minimum wage. Minimum wage is for aftger school and summer starter jobs for kids, not adults with a family.

If thats the case, why are all the fast food places in my area employed by hispanics who can barely speak english? Im sure they are all legal and just doing the jobs that Americans wont do.

Not a pointed question at you, but just making a point.

I do stand corrected. Teenagers and Mexicans. I live in Oklahoma, so I know of what you speak. American minimum wage is like hitting a jackpot when you come from a nation like Mexico. But then they squeeze 20 guys into a shack, 10 to a truck and eat beans to survive on it.

And if only the spoiled rotten American workers would follow their example we'd all be a lot better off.

"Prosperity Through Lower Wages!"

How are people supposed to adjust when they have a mortgage that can't be paid with a minimum wage salary? Sell their house? In this market? That's just not an option in todays market for millions of people with the value of homes in the shitter. People would need to come up with 20-30k or more at closing very often just to get out from under their house. Life isn't always as simple as you'd want to make it out to be.

^^So in your scenario, earning 0K a year would be better than earning 20K a year? WTF?

So you didn't say how someone should pay off their mortgage when they are making minimum wage? This is a real issue and you completely ignored it. We're talking about real world problems people have to face when making these kind of decisions. What's your solution? "Hope for better to come" isn't going to cut it with the mortgage company.

If you are collecting a gov't check (unemployment), then your lifestyle can be supported by a minimum wage job.
Start selling your assets, and make deep cuts in your budget.

I did while I was on unemployment.

It's not that I don't think everyone has to do an honest days' work. But let's assume one does everything you said. You can't not pay your mortgage. You can't let your credit go because if you do, you can't get more credit and the interest/payments on your existing and outstanding credit keeps going up.

Then what if there is an illness in the family while you're making these lifestyle changes?

Hint: You go bankrupt because you've lost your health insurance when you lost your job and couldn't afford the COBRA payments.

Then what?

Or what if someone is 50 and is no longer marketable? They aren't getting a job as a fry cook when the company can invest its money into an 18 year old who might stay with the company for a while

It's so easy to judge and to call people lazy... most people would welcome a fair day's wage for a fair day's work.

Too many "what ifs"

There are millions of people who have have everything and lost it all.... only to make it all over again.

I live my life well within my means so that if an emergency comes up, I can better handle it.
Life is going to throw us curveballs, but we cant expect the gov't to bail us out.... we should have a network of people you can go to in a time of need.

not too many what-ifs. those what if's are life and are the reason that 50% of bankruptcies are the result of unanticipated health issues. i'd also point out that a salary of over $100,000 a year when you live in some places gives a lot of leeway for savings. That same money in NY or LA is barely enough to buy an apartment.

Your ire should be at corporate outsourcing and management decisions that reward ineptitude with golden parachutes... not the people who have lost their jobs.

I'd also point out that the labor force grows by 1.5% per year. In order to keep unemployment rates from going up (and hopefully even bring them down more) job creation needs to keep pace with the growth of the labor force. It's nice that I could go from doing what I do to flipping burgers. Don't you think anyone looking at me would know if they hired me I'm out the door the second a suitable job becomes available?

And understand, I don't believe that there's any job beneath us (well, short of drug dealing, hooking and stripping, for me, anyway) if we're in dire straights.

Last edited:
Actually bucs, working at McDonalds ruins your chances of getting a full time job.

1. It makes you unavailiable for job fairs, interviews and the time it takes to apply for other jobs.

2. Having McDonalds on your resume hurts you. Especially if you have an education. No hiring manager is going to be impressed you worked with high school dropouts. NONE.

3. That job is such shit. I mean no benefits, on your feet at all times, dealing with people btiching about their food. Barely any discounts on the food to eat for lunch.

It would irresponsible for someone to take a job at McDonalds. Save the leeches comment. They worked and earned their unemployment.

You're wrong on all:

1) No, it doesn't. You can work nights. You can work part time. McD's isn't gonna have you for 100 hours a week. Only about 20. You'll have ample time to go to job fairs, and you'll ALSO have gas $$ to get there thanks to McD's. Apply on your off time. You know, the other 125 hours in the week. XBox time may suffer, but lifes tough.

2) Wrong. Employers realize desperate times. Showing you are willing to do dirty work to get by is a plus. It shows a person has no ego, and will be an employee who is easy to lead and work with. Arrogance, or "That job is below me" is a bad thing. Employers #1 gripe lately? The sense of entitlement of new applicants.

3) No job is "such shit" for a person who has no job. Yeah it sucks. Most jobs do. Thats why they have to pay you to show up. Only fire departments and puppy shelters have "volunteer" staff ya know. Your attitude in #3 is typical for whining 99'ers.

4) Part time pays more than no-time. Again, Earning $7 an hour > earning $0 an hour.

Lazy 99'ers: Get off the couch, turn off Ed Shultz. One of the worlds largest, most successful corporations is hiring 50,000 people. It's a tiny light, but it's a light at the end of the tunnel for some.

A friend of mine put the word out that she was paying $8 per hour cash for people to help move her shop the other day. She had 20 people show up for 2 days worth of hard labor moving heavy equipment. It was way more help than she could use so she had to send 10 away. While talking to them on break they all were thrilled to get a cash job so they could continue to collect their unemployment. They all said even if she were paying $12+per hr of reported earnings that none of them would have showed up because they make more sitting on the couch.

Nonsense. Considering widespread unemployment and underemployment, as an employer, I'd be more impressed with the person who took a part time job in order to make ends meet than the person who sat around on unemployment during the same period.

So you didn't say how someone should pay off their mortgage when they are making minimum wage? This is a real issue and you completely ignored it. We're talking about real world problems people have to face when making these kind of decisions. What's your solution? "Hope for better to come" isn't going to cut it with the mortgage company.

Ok, I'll answer.

I don't know how one pays a mortgage by working at McDonalds.

I do know this however: Paying a mortgage by earning $0 an hour is harder than trying to pay it earning $7 an hour. Right?

You gotta understand, the big-time jobs aren't coming anytime soon. For a while, this is all we're gonna get. So people are either gonna suck it up and earn every single $ they can find, or they are gonna whine about "That job ain't enough for me, I'm gonna stay unemployed."

Yes, it sucks. But YOU explain to me: Is it easier to pay a mortgage by earning $0 an hour or by earning $7 an hour? Simple answer one would think.

A friend of mine put the word out that she was paying $8 per hour cash for people to help move her shop the other day. She had 20 people show up for 2 days worth of hard labor moving heavy equipment. It was way more help than she could use so she had to send 10 away. While talking to them on break they all were thrilled to get a cash job so they could continue to collect their unemployment. They all said even if she were paying $12+per hr of reported earnings that none of them would have showed up because they make more sitting on the couch.

So you're in favor of raising the minimum wage then so that people can survive on those type of entry level incomes. Noted.

I bet that most of you bitching about MickyD's love to eat their $1 deals. Maybe they can pay more then they will only have $3 deals and you could bitch about that.

Get a job and go to work, it may not be great but it beats ZERO

Ok, I'll answer.

I don't know how one pays a mortgage by working at McDonalds.

I do know this however: Paying a mortgage by earning $0 an hour is harder than trying to pay it earning $7 an hour. Right?

You gotta understand, the big-time jobs aren't coming anytime soon. For a while, this is all we're gonna get. So people are either gonna suck it up and earn every single $ they can find, or they are gonna whine about "That job ain't enough for me, I'm gonna stay unemployed."

Yes, it sucks. But YOU explain to me: Is it easier to pay a mortgage by earning $0 an hour or by earning $7 an hour? Simple answer one would think.

So your solution to just suck it up and work for minimum wage doesn't make sense for a lot of people. Would you work a shitty job if you were going to lose your home anyway? OR, would you not take that shitty job and look for something better that actually can come close to helping you pay your bills?

Until you can come up with a solution for people who have bills to pay, you aren't going to convince anyone that working a min. wage job makes any sense when they are just going to lose their house anyway.

Well said, I'm always amazed by people who sit around jobless for months when they need the money.

I'm lucky enough to have a decent job, but if I got canned and there was hypothetically only jobs like this available I'd take it rather than nothing.

If you are over-qualified, take the job, and continue your job search WHILE you have a job.

I can't imagine living on $15,080.

Those jobs are'nt meant to raise a family on....

Exactly right. My local watering hole has a couple door guys (aka bouncers) who get paid cash under the table. They're cool guys, very nice. One is a former cop (as am I) so I got to talking to him. They bragged about getting unemployment and food stamps, while earning $400 a week bouncing. All total, the guy makes more bouncing at a bar 3 nights a week and getting gov't handouts than he did as a cop. He was fired as a cop btw, just for clarity.

Forum List

Back