Mayor Adams in NYC has a plan for police rounding up mentally Ill homeless people and involuntarily commit them to mental institutions

In Germany, the Nazis rounds up the mentally ill and sterilized them and doctors were allowed to provide a "mercy death" if they so chose..

In Canada we are euthanizing the mentally ill and soldiers who suffer from PTSD. In some cases, we approve of the poor murdering themselves and help them do so.

In New York you will round them up and imprison them against their will.

I'm not sure if this is the definition of progress or not. I'm sure to some they will say, "hey look how much more civilized we have become!".

I do know that we are losing our humanity though.
So what should be done of the glaring mentally Ill people that are now homeless? These are people that only need help, but because they go untreated they commit crimes against the rest of the population

It helps by saving their lives

If you are mentally ill, you should not be allowed to decide to sleep outside in sub zero temperatures
Leftwhiner ^ is defending the proposal by NYC Mayor Adams. In this limited case, I agree with Leftwhiner. But it’s not a proper Mayoral move just because it may save some lives in the winter.

It is also a matter of defending the rest of the inhabitants of NYC from the often aberrant BEHAVIOR of so many mentally ill people on the streets of NYC.

Leftwhiner ^ is defending the proposal by NYC Mayor Adams. In this limited case, I agree with Leftwhiner. But it’s not a proper Mayoral move just because it may save some lives in the winter.

It is also a matter of defending the rest of the inhabitants of NYC from the often aberrant BEHAVIOR of so many mentally ill people on the streets of NYC.

Well you can kick them off the city streets and tell them to go somewhere else like Rudy did when he cleaned up the city. But you cannot put them in cuffs and haul them away to some institution to get rid of them.

So what should be done of the glaring mentally Ill people that are now homeless? These are people that only need help, but because they go untreated they commit crimes against the rest of the population

Get their buy-in through outreach from them or their families. Even the mentally impaired have rights, don't they?

Get their buy-in through outreach from them or their families. Even the mentally impaired have rights, don't they?
Yes, but the vast majority of the mentally are too impaired by their mental illnesses to get help on their own.

Well you can kick them off the city streets and tell them to go somewhere else like Rudy did when he cleaned up the city. But you cannot put them in cuffs and haul them away to some institution to get rid of them.
Partly correct. I agree that all are entitled to due process. But society nevertheless retains the right to protect itself. Laws against such things as aggressive panhandling should be both permitted and enforced. And some of the folks living on the streets of NYC actually ARE quite mentally ill. Severely so. So, with proper and legitimate attention being paid to due process, many of them should be institutionalized.

Forum List

Back