Mayor Adams in NYC has a plan for police rounding up mentally Ill homeless people and involuntarily commit them to mental institutions

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
I think this is a good thing. The homeless are mostly mentally I’ll people that aren’t being treated. Something needs to be done for the benefit of the Ill people and community.

I'd support that IF these people who are scooped up, evaluated, then quietly released later, don't have their 2A rights permanently suspended. As things stand now, anyone who is involuntarily committed to a mental facility loses their 2A protections forever.

I think this is a good thing. The homeless are mostly mentally I’ll people that aren’t being treated. Something needs to be done for the benefit of the Ill people and community.
yeh, forget all that garbage about how all are created equal and in God's image

forget about that pesky little thing called Freedom

Let's make the govt more FORCEFUL!!!

Hitler had it right, I reckon

sounds good to ----some people

I'd support that IF these people who are scooped up, evaluated, then quietly released later, don't have their 2A rights permanently suspended. As things stand now, anyone who is involuntarily committed to a mental facility loses their 2A protections forever.
seriously?

I didn't know that. But I also didn't think that people were, these days, involuntarily committed?

probably only in some states.

yeh, forget all that garbage about how all are created equal and in God's image

forget about that pesky little thing called Freedom

Let's make the govt more FORCEFUL!!!

Hitler had it right, I reckon

sounds good to ----some people
What do you propose we do about the streets being flooded with mentally ill homeless people?

This past Friday I went to pick-up my G-Grandson from daycare and I saw what I thought was a pile of rags on the side walk.

Upon closer observation it was a homeless woman laying there.....I called the cops and by the time I picked the kid up the cops were tending to her.

I call the cops on every one of them I see. There are not many in my AO but "nits make lice" in that regard.

This past Friday I went to pick-up my G-Grandson from daycare and I saw what I thought was a pile of rags on the side walk.

Upon closer observation it was a homeless woman laying there.....I called the cops and by the time I picked the kid up the cops were tending to her.

I call the cops on every one of them I see. There are not many in my AO but "nits make lice" in that regard.
I don't understand the last sentence

but as to the other things u say

Cops are for law breakers

It can be a good thing, but I think the ACLU would get involved. In the 70s when Geraldo had his own weekly show, he focused on the homeless. Back then, if a police officer or family member felt a person could not take care of themselves, they were committed by the courts. Well....... Geraldo didn't like that practice, so he did a series of how it was a violation of the homeless's constitutional rights. It made it's way to court and the courts agreed with him. You can't lock up people forever that committed no crime. The institutions were forced to unlock their doors and of course, the homeless left and still with us today.

I don't know whatever happened since that ruling, but what I do know is the word "committed" is never used today.

Makes sense once the cold weather starts
Whether they like it or not

until it is you who is homeless

If you think it coul never happen to you, then you are full of pride. And whatever God does not accomplish in your life on Earth (to rid you of your sins including pride) will be accomplished by Him in the next
The topic wasn’t just scooping-up the homeless. Don’t conflate all homeless with the mentally ill.

Makes sense once the cold weather starts
Whether they like it or not

At least here, the homeless do have various places they could go, but choose to be outside in the frigid weather. Most places have regulations such as being sober, no smoking or getting high, and of course no fighting. But these people are mentally ill, and opt to live outside where there are no regulations.
I don''t see how making people even more unhappy helps.

In Germany, the Nazis rounds up the mentally ill and sterilized them and doctors were allowed to provide a "mercy death" if they so chose..

In Canada we are euthanizing the mentally ill and soldiers who suffer from PTSD. In some cases, we approve of the poor murdering themselves and help them do so.

In New York you will round them up and imprison them against their will.

I'm not sure if this is the definition of progress or not. I'm sure to some they will say, "hey look how much more civilized we have become!".

I do know that we are losing our humanity though.

At least here, the homeless do have various places they could go, but choose to be outside in the frigid weather. Most places have regulations such as being sober, no smoking or getting high, and of course no fighting. But these people are mentally ill, and opt to live outside where there are no regulations.
I don''t see how making people even more unhappy helps.
It helps by saving their lives

If you are mentally ill, you should not be allowed to decide to sleep outside in sub zero temperatures

It helps by saving their lives

If you are mentally ill, you should not be allowed to decide to sleep outside in sub zero temperatures

I don't know how, but they manage to survive. And trust me, up north by the great lakes the weather certainly can be deadly.

Many years ago a late Uncle of mine worked at a hotel downtown. He said two of his coworkers were homeless. They were very hard workers and made decent enough money to get an apartment together, but chose to live out in the streets.

He said on Friday when the employees got paid, these two guys grabbed their checks and disappeared into the wooded area by the train tracks at lunch. As always, they returned on time and continued their work. My Uncle said he had no idea what they did with their paychecks, but they came to work properly showered and clean clothes.

Forum List

Back