MASSIVE explosion in Beirut levels entire city blocks

Earthquakes are caused by movement within the Earth
Earthquakes are defined by their motion. P waves, S waves, Rayleigh, and Love waves.
Now, if you called it a SEISMIC WAVE, you would have a point. Those are specifically caused by the sudden breaking of rock, but even there, explosions are included within the definition.
ITMT out in the real world, anything that shakes the earth is an earthquake. Ice sheets breaking off glaciers have been known to cause earthquakes. When the asteroid hit that killed the dinosaurs, I bet that caused a HUGE earthquake. People felt the earthquake of the Tunguska Event far far away. People in Cyprus, the first hint they had of the Beirut explosion was the earthquake. They felt the ground moving and their doors rattling, etc., long before they heard the explosion because the density of the rock (earth) the waves traveled through is much denser than the air.
True for simpletons like you who are ignorant of plate tectonics. Remember Thor used to cause earthquakes with his hammer

I'm a geologist little troll. I will talk plate tectonics with you any day of the week, of course the theory has moved on quite a bit since then. It is no longer plate tectonics, but what do you know, you're not a scientist.
So plate tectonics is a theory........................................

Seriously are you with the FBI because you are really a special kind of special ed?

Earthquakes are defined by their motion. P waves, S waves, Rayleigh, and Love waves.
Now, if you called it a SEISMIC WAVE, you would have a point. Those are specifically caused by the sudden breaking of rock, but even there, explosions are included within the definition.
ITMT out in the real world, anything that shakes the earth is an earthquake. Ice sheets breaking off glaciers have been known to cause earthquakes. When the asteroid hit that killed the dinosaurs, I bet that caused a HUGE earthquake. People felt the earthquake of the Tunguska Event far far away. People in Cyprus, the first hint they had of the Beirut explosion was the earthquake. They felt the ground moving and their doors rattling, etc., long before they heard the explosion because the density of the rock (earth) the waves traveled through is much denser than the air.
True for simpletons like you who are ignorant of plate tectonics. Remember Thor used to cause earthquakes with his hammer

I'm a geologist little troll. I will talk plate tectonics with you any day of the week, of course the theory has moved on quite a bit since then. It is no longer plate tectonics, but what do you know, you're not a scientist.
I am no one and nothing, and you will never reach this level.

Will you kiddy

"No one" is correct. So why don't you slither away. You add nothing to this Board.
Look simpleton, an earthquake (shifting plates) has a seismic signature that is different and often much longer in duration from a chemical or nuclear blast signature. That said the varying signatures are different not because they are all earthquake signatures but they are different because they have varying causes. Though as stated a simpleton will not need to know this level of detail

No, it's not, dumbass. A P wave is a P wave no matter the cause. You need to go to school because you are ignorant of the facts.

Seriously are you with the FBI because you are really a special kind of special ed?

Yes, it's a theory. one supported by a lot of factual observation. That's how science works, which is also why the theory has gone beyond mere plate tectonics.

Will you kiddy

"No one" is correct. So why don't you slither away. You add nothing to this Board.
Look simpleton, an earthquake (shifting plates) has a seismic signature that is different and often much longer in duration from a chemical or nuclear blast signature. That said the varying signatures are different not because they are all earthquake signatures but they are different because they have varying causes. Though as stated a simpleton will not need to know this level of detail

No, it's not, dumbass. A P wave is a P wave no matter the cause. You need to go to school because you are ignorant of the facts.
What is it called when plates shift?

Answer, an earthquake

Yawn

. It is no longer plate tectonics
It isn't? What is it now?

Tectono stratigraphic terranes, for one. But even that is old now. Large Low Shear Velocity Provinces is another aspect being looked into, all of them fall under the generic plate tectonics theory, but as i said, that is now merely the jumping off point for much more meaningful investigations.

Yes, it's a theory. one supported by a lot of factual observation. That's how science works, which is also why the theory has gone beyond mere plate tectonics.
Wow, we got a live one here.

Is the Pacific rim of fire a theory?

No

Is the San Andreas fault a theory?

No

Can a schizzo become a geologist, medical doctor or a head of state on command?

Yes

Will you kiddy

Answer, an earthquake

Yawn

What do large explosions cause?

Answer, Earthquakes.

Yawn.

No

No

Yes

No, the Pacific ROF is not a theory. It is an observed geomorphic province. The same goes for the San Andreas fault (which i was instrumental in mapping out oh so many decades ago) but the real question is can a troll, become a not troll?

That's debatable.

Will you kiddy

Answer, an earthquake

Yawn

What do large explosions cause?

Answer, Earthquakes.

Yawn.
Wrong large explosions cause waves that can be transmitted thru the Earth and that can be picked up by the same sensors that also pick up the tremors that earthquakes cause. The reason that the signatures are different is because the causes are different

1%20(2).gif

No

No

Yes

No, the Pacific ROF is not a theory. It is an observed geomorphic province. The same goes for the San Andreas fault (which i was instrumental in mapping out oh so many decades ago) but the real question is can a troll, become a not troll?

That's debatable.
Are plates, fault lines theory?

No

Some say gravity and quantum mechanics are theories, however they are facts that like plate tectonics are merely not fully understood.

You wanna do the quantum entanglement game

What do large explosions cause? Answer, Earthquakes.
Wrong large explosions cause waves that can be transmitted thru the Earth and that can be picked up by the same sensors that also pick up the tremors that earthquakes cause.
Sorry to make you eat ASS, Junior, but earthquakes were named long ago after the shaking of the ground, not for their cause, LONG BEFORE they even knew what was causing them. Long before they knew the crust was made of plates. Back then, man had no ability to create his own man-made earthquake.

Stars have star-quakes, yet they don't have tectonic plates to cause them.

But you've proven yourself wrong, asshat, an earthquake IS the waves transmitted through the Earth (essentially ELF waves) regardless of how they are caused or picked up. But I understand a dumbshit ignoramus flaming jackass like you just CAN'T GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEAD because it would mean admitting you are wrong. :1peleas:

Earthquakes are defined by their motion.
True for simpletons like you who are ignorant of plate tectonics.

Tectonics? I had an FM receiver made by Tectonics in the 1970s! :mm:

360 watts rms per channel! Neighbors used to complain of the earthquakes it made when I cranked it up!

View attachment 371937
Actually that was made by Panasonic ........................
Nope. Tectonics. Say's it right on the front plate. Must be true.

What do large explosions cause? Answer, Earthquakes.
Wrong large explosions cause waves that can be transmitted thru the Earth and that can be picked up by the same sensors that also pick up the tremors that earthquakes cause.
Sorry to make you eat ASS, Junior, but earthquakes were named long ago after the shaking of the ground, not for their cause, LONG BEFORE they even knew what was causing them. Long before they knew the crust was made of plates. Back then, man had no ability to create his own man-made earthquake.

Stars have star-quakes, yet they don't have tectonic plates to cause them.

But you've proven yourself wrong, asshat, an earthquake IS the waves transmitted through the Earth (essentially ELF waves) regardless of how they are caused or picked up. But I understand a dumbshit ignoramus flaming jackass like you just CAN'T GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK HEAD because it would mean admitting you are wrong. :1peleas:
Wrong large explosions cause waves that can be transmitted thru the Earth and that can be picked up by the same sensors that also pick up the tremors that earthquakes cause. The reason that the signatures are different is because the causes are different.

Earthquakes are defined by their motion.
True for simpletons like you who are ignorant of plate tectonics.

Tectonics? I had an FM receiver made by Tectonics in the 1970s! :mm:

360 watts rms per channel! Neighbors used to complain of the earthquakes it made when I cranked it up!

View attachment 371937
Actually that was made by Panasonic ........................
Nope. Tectonics. Say's it right on the front plate. Must be true.
Actually blues clues it says right on the front that it was made by Panasonic

Silly

all people have families, and they all have emotions. some folks forget that sometimes!

Forum List

Back