MASSIVE explosion in Beirut levels entire city blocks

Look silly you said that explosions create earthquakes, they do not. Explosions can create the same or similar seismic waves as earthquakes, however seismic waves are not earthquakes, are they simpleton? Yawning

Hey American Jihad Sock, Get a grip on yourself. No, not there. I said that the explosion caused an earthquake of around 4.0. It did. A quake of the earth is a shudder, a vibration, a shaking of the ground. I didn't say the quake was caused by the same forces as a natural earthquake---- tectonic plates moving.
Actually an earthquake is when one tectonic plate slides over under or alongside another one

You keep farting your ignorance though, its amusing

Earthquakes are also caused by magma moving through a magma chamber. And yes, if there is a P wave, it is an earthquake, it's cause is immaterial.
Earthquakes are caused by movement within the Earth caused by the Earth itself not caused by human induced explosions. Really simple once you understand that sensors merely detect the waves and not their cause, thus it takes a human with a brain not a tube to determine cause

Earthquakes are defined by their motion. P waves, S waves, Rayleigh, and Love waves.

Now, if you called it a SEISMIC WAVE, you would have a point. Those are specifically caused by the sudden breaking of rock, but even there, explosions are included within the definition.
Seismic detectors detect vibrations from multiple causes, some natural and some man made. Earthquakes are natural, ammonium nitrite explosions are not natural in source

Doesn't matter, they create the same kind of waves and that is all that matters.

Lebanese Interior Minister Mohamed Fahmy to Al-Jadeed TV:

"The highly explosive materials that were in storage No. 12 are ammonium nitrate, and one
has to ask what such a large amount does in the port?"

It waits to get shipped out to farms and farm supply warehouses, duh!
I know where 2 spots like that are here. This stuff's for enriching soil, though.

I was in Jordan years ago. They mine that stuff there -- lots of it.

Earthquakes are caused by movement within the Earth
Earthquakes are defined by their motion. P waves, S waves, Rayleigh, and Love waves.
Now, if you called it a SEISMIC WAVE, you would have a point. Those are specifically caused by the sudden breaking of rock, but even there, explosions are included within the definition.
ITMT out in the real world, anything that shakes the earth is an earthquake. Ice sheets breaking off glaciers have been known to cause earthquakes. When the asteroid hit that killed the dinosaurs, I bet that caused a HUGE earthquake. People felt the earthquake of the Tunguska Event far far away. People in Cyprus, the first hint they had of the Beirut explosion was the earthquake. They felt the ground moving and their doors rattling, etc., long before they heard the explosion because the density of the rock (earth) the waves traveled through is much denser than the air.

Earthquakes are natural, ammonium nitrite explosions are not natural
Doesn't matter, they create the same kind of waves and that is all that matters.

RIGHT THERE, West. You can see the seismic shock front traveling out from the explosion through the earth and water ahead of the concussive air blast. It was as though some giant stomped his foot on the ground. I bet there is massive loss of marine life in the region as well.

beirut.jpg

Yeah the pictures I saw showed everything, and I mean everything, flattened. I can't imagine how many died.

Yeah the pictures I saw showed everything, and I mean everything, flattened. I can't imagine how many died.
As I understand it, 300,000 without homes to live in, roads all but impassable with broken glass and stone everywhere, cars pulverized, the port unusable to bring in ships with supplies, and no resources in place to rebuild and replace all that is damaged. So many injured in the hospitals that they cannot even think of the other stuff for now.

Hiroshima bomb was 16 kilotons
This was 2.7 kilotons (assuming it has the explosive force of TNT).

The equivalent of a small nuclear weapon
Yes, but...but, even atom bombs don't cause earthquakes. Just ask esalla.

I suppose the ONLY good thing to be taken from this is that at least there is no radiation or fallout.

RIGHT THERE, West. You can see the seismic shock front traveling out from the explosion through the earth and water ahead of the concussive air blast. It was as though some giant stomped his foot on the ground. I bet there is massive loss of marine life in the region as well.

View attachment 371915

That's the difference between a scientist (me), and a person who thinks they are smart.

ITMT out in the real world, anything that shakes the earth is an earthquake. Ice sheets breaking off glaciers have been known to cause earthquakes. When the asteroid hit that killed the dinosaurs, I bet that caused a HUGE earthquake. People felt the earthquake of the Tunguska Event far far away. People in Cyprus, the first hint they had of the Beirut explosion was the earthquake. They felt the ground moving and their doors rattling, etc., long before they heard the explosion because the density of the rock (earth) the waves traveled through is much denser than the air.
True for simpletons like you who are ignorant of plate tectonics. Remember Thor used to cause earthquakes with his hammer

View attachment 371915

That's the difference between a scientist (me), and a person who thinks they are smart.
Lol, the FBI thought the same nonsense.

Scientist

Jesus Christ

True for simpletons like you who are ignorant of plate tectonics. Remember Thor used to cause earthquakes with his hammer

I'm a geologist little troll. I will talk plate tectonics with you any day of the week, of course the theory has moved on quite a bit since then. It is no longer plate tectonics, but what do you know, you're not a scientist.

View attachment 371915
Are waves in the air earthquakes.

No

Nuff said

I'm a geologist little troll. I will talk plate tectonics with you any day of the week, of course the theory has moved on quite a bit since then. It is no longer plate tectonics, but what do you know, you're not a scientist.
I am no one and nothing, and you will never reach this level.

Will you kiddy

Will you kiddy

"No one" is correct. So why don't you slither away. You add nothing to this Board.

View attachment 371915
Are waves in the air earthquakes.

No

Nuff said

Poor ignorant Know nothing person......

Detection in the ionosphere

“When the ground shakes, it causes tiny atmospheric waves that can propagate right up to the ionosphere,” Komjathy said. The ionosphere is the layer of Earth’s atmosphere ionized by solar and cosmic radiation and is located roughly between 50 and 600 miles (80 and 1,000 kilometers) above Earth’s surface.

When the atmospheric waves reach the ionosphere, they cause detectable changes to the density of electrons in that atmospheric layer. These changes can be recorded and measured when signals from global navigation satellite systems (GNSS), such as those of GPS, travel through the ionosphere.

The same satellites can also detect disturbances in the ionosphere caused by tsunamis. When a tsunami forms and moves across the ocean, the crests and troughs of its waves compress and extend the air above them, creating motions in the atmosphere known as gravity waves. These undulations of gravity waves are amplified as they travel upward into an atmosphere that becomes thinner with altitude. When they reach the ionosphere, the gravity waves also can be detected using the constellations of GNSS satellites circling Earth.

Will you kiddy

"No one" is correct. So why don't you slither away. You add nothing to this Board.
Look simpleton, an earthquake (shifting plates) has a seismic signature that is different and often much longer in duration from a chemical or nuclear blast signature. That said the varying signatures are different not because they are all earthquake signatures but they are different because they have varying causes. Though as stated a simpleton will not need to know this level of detail

Forum List

Back