Mass shootings posting in appropriate section?

Donald H

Platinum Member
Nov 26, 2020
Would a moderator please designate an apppropriate section for all mass shootings? I and others don't want to cause more work for the staff who end up having to move the ones that are posted in the wrong section.

Would a moderator please designate an apppropriate section for all mass shootings? I and others don't want to cause more work for the staff who end up having to move the ones that are posted in the wrong section.
How Bout No GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Sounds like a great idea but only if ALL shootings that the FBI is calling an example of a "mass shooting", are included. Seems we now only hear of those with the greatest emotional impact for pushing gun control. Prime example is the Tulsa murder of three, then suicide by the perp.

Sounds like a great idea but only if ALL shootings that the FBI is calling an example of a "mass shooting", are included. Seems we now only hear of those with the greatest emotional impact for pushing gun control. Prime example is the Tulsa murder of three, then suicide by the perp.
It seems like they lost all interest when they found out it was a black perp who targeted & killed an educated black man & 3 additional white victims.
They don't care about black on black crime or black on white crime.
Makes you wonder if they might have an agenda....

I despise dupes but on the rare occasion I "mess-up" and post one I really don't understand how I can tell.

Generally speaking I'll take the title of the article I'm referencing and use it in the title line, look through "like posts", and if I don't see anything in that sub-forum I'll proceed. Maybe it has to do with what sub-form I post something in.

Anyway some "question mark" got all snarky with me the other day about it and it was not appreciated. I at least try to do my due diligence before I post a thread.

And no, I'm not going to wade through 87+ posts using the search function trying to figure it out either.

There's this thing called 'search' that we have. Some people have heard of it, others - not so much. It can be found in the top right corner of the forum, like shown below:
1654644769593.png

Amazing things happen when someone uses it to type in a few words, just to see if a thread has been started about something in particular. Usually, a list of threads will show up. There are those, however, that refuse to admit this function exists and/or that it actually helps us all! :eusa_snooty: Instead, those people want to think they are the first person to hear or read about something and get all excited thinking everyone at USMB will bow down and praise them for starting a new thread. :bow3:

Current Events or Breaking News would be the answer to your question. Politics not so much, unless something POLITICAL is happening that relates to mass shootings in general.

There's this thing called 'search' that we have. Some people have heard of it, others - not so much. It can be found in the top right corner of the forum, like shown below:
View attachment 655163
Amazing things happen when someone uses it to type in a few words, just to see if a thread has been started about something in particular. Usually, a list of threads will show up. There are those, however, that refuse to admit this function exists and/or that it actually helps us all! :eusa_snooty: Instead, those people want to think they are the first person to hear or read about something and get all excited thinking everyone at USMB will bow down and praise them for starting a new thread. :bow3:

Current Events or Breaking News would be the answer to your question. Politics not so much, unless something POLITICAL is happening that relates to mass shootings in general.
Negative, the search function is of almost no use at all due to the volume of posts that show up when you enter a keyword or phrase.

Think that's BS, just type in "mass shooting" and 17 pages pop up....I'm not wading through all that and I doubt anyone else will either.

That said I'll agree that there is a lot of "firstest with the mostest" that goes on as it does on any forum.

Be more specific with the search function. Instead of just using "mass shooting", include the city/town it happened in (ex: Uvalde mass shooting).

The search function doesn't work very well for me, but I am aware of it. And I know that a couple of others are having trouble locating some discussions on the board too.
Yes, I understand that there are still some questions to be sorted out.
Thank you. I've had one thread on mass shootings moved and I'm trying to not cause the inconvenience for the moderators.
Mass shootings posted on this board always have politics involved IMHO, but I'll continue to try to get it right.

The rate they are happening, they should have their own sub-forum now.
I would be very much in favour of that. It's becoming confusing on which mass shooting is being discussed.
It would also be an opportunity for this forum to provide a service that's related to everybody's cause of reducing the problem.

Would a moderator please designate an appropriate section for all mass shootings? I and others don't want to cause more work for the staff who end up having to move the ones that are posted in the wrong section.
There's so many shootings, it needs a section all of it's own. Then 2aguy could post his stupid gun nut stats to skew reality, so we'll all know where all the gun crap is located.

I was going to post the same thing.

We have a movie section. There are more mass shootings that gain notice than movies.

Really?

6 mass public shootings in 2021.....

2 in 2020.....

Yeah....not a lot......

We have over 330 million people in this country....that is 8 nuts in 2 years.....

Negative, the search function is of almost no use at all due to the volume of posts that show up when you enter a keyword or phrase.

Think that's BS, just type in "mass shooting" and 17 pages pop up....I'm not wading through all that and I doubt anyone else will either.

That said I'll agree that there is a lot of "firstest with the mostest" that goes on as it does on any forum.

Well that isn't surprising when the forum average over 8,000 new posts a day some will be about the shootings which is why everyone is encouraged to check the search bar first.

Really?

6 mass public shootings in 2021.....

2 in 2020.....

Yeah....not a lot......

We have over 330 million people in this country....that is 8 nuts in 2 years.....
And 25 X 9 pages in the link that gives us about 225 so far, right?

If not then you're responsible for the new list that makes some mass shootings, not mass shootings.
And if you don't do it then I'm going to do it for you!

Denial isn't going to work for you this time!

definition:
  • Mass Shooting (4+ victims injured or killed excluding the subject/suspect/perpetrator, one location)

Last edited:
Well, if we're gonna placate specific agendas and provide a dedicated grandstand for them on the platform, I'd like a specific section to keep track of all of the violent crimes committed by all of the illegals, particularly given that the Biden administration is functioning in synergy wit hthe Mexican cartels to guide hem in and subsequently bus and fly them all over our country in the dead of the night.

Thanks in advance!

I'll try to think of some more of my pet peeves that I feel need to be placated while you're doing that.

A section for barefoot chicks wearing cutoffs and tank tops is also on my list. And they really are so hard to come by these days, search feature renders nothing.

Last edited:
And 25 X 9 pages in the link that gives us about 225 so far, right?

If not then you're responsible for the new list that makes some mass shootings, not mass shootings.
And if you don't do it then I'm going to do it for you!

Denial isn't going to work for you this time!

The Gun Violence ARchive lies.....

If you want the actual list of mass public shootings, you need the Mother Jones, Mass Public Shooting Data Base....they use the actual definition of mass public shootings....

US mass shootings, 1982–2022: Data from Mother Jones’ investigation

Dating back to at least 2005, the FBI and leading criminologists essentially defined a mass shooting as a single attack in a public place in which four or more victims were killed. We adopted that baseline for fatalities when we gathered data in 2012 on three decades worth of cases.
-------

• Here is a description of the criteria we use:
    • The perpetrator took the lives of at least four people. A 2008 FBI report identifies an individual as a mass murderer—versus a spree killer or a serial killer—if he kills four or more people in a single incident (not including himself), typically in a single location. (*In 2013, the US government’s fatality baseline was revised down to three; our database reflects this change beginning from Jan. 2013, as detailed above.)
    • The killings were carried out by a lone shooter. (Except in the case of the Columbine massacre and the Westside Middle School killings, which involved two shooters.)
    • The shootings occurred in a public place. (Except in the case of a party on private property in Crandon, Wisconsin, and another in Seattle, where crowds of strangers had gathered, essentially constituting a public crowd.) Crimes primarily related to gang activity or armed robbery are not included, nor are mass killings that took place in private homes (often stemming from domestic violence).
    • Perpetrators who died or were wounded during the attack are not included in the victim tallies.
    • We included a handful of cases also known as “spree killings“—cases in which the killings occurred in more than one location, but still over a short period of time, that otherwise fit the above criteria.
    ----------------------
Our research focused on indiscriminate rampages in public places resulting in four or more victims killed by the attacker. We exclude shootings stemming from more conventionally motivated crimes such as armed robbery or gang violence. (Or in which the perpetrators have not been identified.) Other news outlets and researchers have since published larger tallies that include a wide range of gun crimes in which four or more people have been either wounded or killed. While those larger datasets of multiple-victim shootings are useful for studying the broader problem of gun violence, our investigation provides an in-depth look at a distinct phenomenon—from the firearms used and mental health factors to the growing copycat problem. Tracking mass shootings is complex; we believe ours is the most useful approach for studying this specific phenomenon.

---------
The actual number of mass shootings from Mother Jones......

Here you go...the number of mass public shootings according to Mother Jones...rabid, anti gun, left wing news source.....not the NRA...

The list below comes from the old definition of 4 killed to make a shooting a mass shooting...if you now go to the link there are more than listed below...but that is because Mother Jones changed the list from the time I first posted it...and changed to obama's new standard of only 3 dead to make a mass shooting...

US Mass Shootings, 1982-2015: Data From Mother Jones' Investigation

2018... 12

2017: 11 ( 5 according to the old standard)

2015....4 ( obama's new standard....7)

2014....2 (4)

2002 not listed so more than likely 0

1985... not listed so probably 0

1983...not listed so probably 0

330 million Americans......how many committed mass public shootings in 2021....

How many did they murder....

Deer kill 200 people a year.....

Lawn mowers between 90-100 people a year....

Ladders 300 people a year....

bathtubs 350 people a year...

Cars killed over 39,000 people in 2019...

So....6 people in a country of over 330 million committed mass public shootings....and for this, you think we should ban 600 million guns...?

Total number of people killed in mass public shootings by year...

2014..... 9
2013..... 36
2012..... 72
2011..... 19
2002...not listed by mother jones
1985...(none listed)
1983 (none listed)

Forum List

Back