Many Veterans protected from Smallpox... and by extension Monkeypox.

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
Just a little FYI for you GenX Army Veterans.

The wife was telling me that if I received the smallpox vaccine we would have to stay apart for six weeks because of reasons that aren't pertinent to the discussion.

Having been deployed overseas, I was inoculated for G-d knows what all... but, better safe than sorry...I did some research and not only have I received the inoculation...all Army Recruits up through the early 90's received smallpox vaccine as part of their initial inprocessing according to the NIH... so check your military medical records before you consider taking the smallpox vaccine...

"The Army continued to vaccinate its recruits against smallpox until the early 1990s, 20 years after vaccination stopped in the civilian population and smallpox was considered eradicated (7)."

I was vaccinated as a kid for smallpox, am I cool for the monkeypox?

Although since I'm not planning to take it in the ass, I suppose it is all academic.

I was vaccinated as a kid for smallpox, am I cool for the monkeypox?

Although since I'm not planning to take it in the ass, I suppose it is all academic.
I think it's a one time thing.

I folks called while I was doing the research and when I told them what I was looking for...my mother told me that I had been vaccinated as a child as well...so evidently a double vaccination isn't an issue.

Not too worried about the Monkeypox so far...but seeing as the homosexual community can't stop having sex for a few week...who knows what's going to happen.

If being a homersexual was the only way to get it, sure, but you know it is not the only way of getting the virus.

If being a homersexual was the only way to get it, sure, but you know it is not the only way of getting the virus.
Maybe sex-ed didn't include this stuff in high school. You don't get monkey pox by being homosexual. You get it from engaging in homosexual acts.

Maybe sex-ed didn't include this stuff in high school. You don't get monkey pox by being homosexual. You get it from engaging in homosexual acts.
You can get it from heterosexual intercourse or touching a surface with the virus since it can exist for fifteen days on a surface.

When I deployed to Japan in the late 80's, I remember getting around 10 different shots, I don't think it was the Army that was worried about us, it was Japan who didn't want us deploying to Hokkaido unless we were completely vaccinated against things I never even knew. I'm guessing smallpox was one of my vaccinations, either then or before that deployment, but have no idea how long that vaccination is good for.

Good to know that smallpox was likely one of my many vaccinations.

Forum List

Back