Management, have you ever considered an election to elect moderators?

Status
Not open for further replies.
89377n.jpg

;)

Now THAT would be interesting! I nominate mudwhistle
I don't think mudwhistle would want the job honestly. Elections can be a good thing but given the level of organized trolling on this board I'm not sure most would like the results. It is a thankless job in which somebody will be pleased and somebody angered with whatever moderating is done.

Anybody remember the time USMB was hacked, all existing mods were thrown out and impossible people installed in their stead? Fortunately admin was able to correct the situation quickly but it should have been a wakeup call on what can happen.

I'm sure a mod or two here hates my guts and I have suspected some hanky panky with my threads but I have no serious complaints. I appreciate those willing to give of their time (and reputations sometimes) to do a pretty much thankless job. I do try to appreciate those who go out of their way to be helpful and many do.

You have to choose between quantity or quality. You cannot have both.
This site obviously chooses quantity over quality by far, which makes sense, since it gets it's revenue from ads. Quality means fewer members and fewer posts, less ad revenue.
That is not going to happen.
A higher quality site, even though the rules are stricter, is not too hard to moderate. Because it keeps people who are more interested in discussing than throwing rocks at each other, and bans the rock throwers.

Just sayin

Here - absolutely. This site attracts trolls and rock throwers, they would have to ban at least half of the members.
BUT - it would get new members who would stay, instead of leave.

That's true too. Balance is needed.

That's true too. Balance is needed.
Good forums where it is not mostly trolls and idiots is sadly apparently just gone. Don't exist anymore.
The golden years of good forums was late 90s - maybe 2010 at the latest.
Now sites are all geared to make $$ off of ads, which GREATLY incentivizes allowed anything goes to get maximum page counts.
Before, most sites were privately owned, now virtually all of them are commercially owned.
I sorely miss US Politics Online, it went under the year I came here. A new owner bought it and changed everything and it died.
I loved that place. Way-way-way more rules than here, but solid discussions.

I was going to suggest a poll to expel mods when they prove to be petty tyrant douchebags who post asinine bed wetting troll threads and then sanction people for responding with appropriate insults.

That! Absolutely that

this place is so loosely moderated it is ridikilus
But is always has been, by design.
The owners want page counts, and page views. That is how they make money.
They could care less what the content is, just as long as the page counts stays up.
The mods are not rule makers, only rule enforcers. The admins here haven't been visible since it was purchased in 2011 I believe it was. They are the rule makers and they are not active members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back