Man who Burned a Quran Fired from Transit Job... I smell... LAWSUIT!

Can you post the relevant section of the Right to Work law?

Right To Work is all about the employer having the ultimate say so.

If you don't hold your mouth the "right way,"

you can be fired.

If the employer just basically doesn't like you, you can be fired.

It's a SHIT way to do thangs, giving ALL of the power to the employer and taking any power away from the worker.

Is it that you want a citation for what Right To Work encompasses?

'Cuz I feel pretty sure YOUR computer can access Google every bit as easily as mine...

you are completely mixed up here. Right to work has to do with unions and nothing else.

I thought right to work had to do with requiring union membership. Can you post the provisions dealing with termination?

The right to work is also part of the Communist Manifesto. Funny that the anti-Statist teabaggers now seem to be enamored with.
Idiot.

This has nothing to do with left or right. It has to do with constitutional rights.

Moron.

I'm trying to find out where in the constitution that protects asshats' jobs, who do things that piss off their employers. Here's a clue. If I worked for Walmart, and put up a billboard saying that Walmart sucks, and they fired me, and I tried to sue on first amendment grounds, I'd be laughed out of court on my first brief.

Personally, I'd just have reassigned this moron to cleaning out the toilets, and call it a promotion. And I'd be in there with a black light making sure he cleaned all the urine off the walls. Tough to pee on target on a moving train. If I saw one white dot on that black light, I'd fire his ass for not performing his job.

Last edited:
The right to work is also part of the Communist Manifesto. Funny that the anti-Statist teabaggers now seem to be enamored with.
Idiot.

This has nothing to do with left or right. It has to do with constitutional rights.

Moron.

I'm trying to find out where in the constitution, it protects asshats who do things that piss off their employers. Here's a clue. If I worked for Walmart, and put up a billboard saying that Walmart sucks, and they fired me, and I tried to sue on first amendment grounds, I'd be laughed out of court on my first brief.
Here's a clue: First Ammendment.

Combine that with the fact that slavery is long gone and that business cannot override constitutional rights of an individual.

Moron.

Damn, the stupid is thick, here.

Last edited:
Idiot.

Moron.

You have a constitutional right to work for NJ Transit? Obviously if they feel he violated their code of conduct then they should fire him. But I dont really believe he did anything worth being fired over and I agree the ACLU and his union should be supporting him.

Nope.

But I invite YOU to use your research skillz to find whatever it is that you're looking for.

I'll tell you this: I live in Texas, which is a Right To Work state,

and, other than Capital Metro, have never worked for an employer that REQUIRED union affiliation.

In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to FIND a job that required it, since we don't seem to hold unions in very high regard down here.

Texas seems to believe that the guy shelling out the cash gets to say WHO he pays with it, and if you displease him? You're gone.

If it weren't for the fact that I've seen folks PERSECUTED by this,

I'd likely agree with the concept, since I wouldn't particularly WANT to work for someone that didn't like/trust me,

and I WAS looking for a Good Job whenever I found that one, you know?

Sorry bout that,

1. This should of been the OP's heading.
2. This is whats happenening right under your nose's.
3. Thats why I'm here, to point it out.
4. All this *Right to Work State* is just bullshit.:eek:

Regards,
SirJamesofTexas

Last edited:
Nope.

But I invite YOU to use your research skillz to find whatever it is that you're looking for.

I'll tell you this: I live in Texas, which is a Right To Work state,

and, other than Capital Metro, have never worked for an employer that REQUIRED union affiliation.

In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to FIND a job that required it, since we don't seem to hold unions in very high regard down here.

Texas seems to believe that the guy shelling out the cash gets to say WHO he pays with it, and if you displease him? You're gone.

If it weren't for the fact that I've seen folks PERSECUTED by this,

I'd likely agree with the concept, since I wouldn't particularly WANT to work for someone that didn't like/trust me,

and I WAS looking for a Good Job whenever I found that one, you know?

I did use "The Google" to look up Right to Work States.

All it says is it protects workers from having to join unions in order to be employed. You obviously have a better version of the Google.....can you post a relevant section that pertains to employee termination?

you are completely mixed up here. Right to work has to do with unions and nothing else.

Texas (the second largest state in terms of the number of wage and
salary workers) had one-fourth as many union members as New York (the
third largest), despite having 1.9 million more wage and salary em-
ployees.

If Right To Work is All About Unions?

How's come we ARE a Right To Work State,

BUT

don't allow unions to rule the workplace?

quote from: Union Members Summary

He has the constitutional right to peacfully demonstrate. He did that. This is a no brainer.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances

"Congress shall make no law" means you cannot be prosecuted for your actions. It has nothing to do with there being no consequences for your actions

Idiot.

Moron.

You have a constitutional right to work for NJ Transit?....
Just...wow.

You should read the First Ammendment.

Then read the arguments over upholding the Hatch Act and the ammendments that it has gone through over the years.

Here: First Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hatch Act of 1939 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Obviously if they feel he violated their code of conduct then they should fire him.

Then, look at the NJ Transit Authority Code of Conduct. Oops, I don't see one, except for a code of ethics for vendors (standard for government organizations).

Regardless, even if there is a code of conduct for NJTA employees while off hours, unless it covers speech - and ONLY speech if representing oneself as an employee of the NJTA - that horse is stuck in the gate.
.... But I dont really believe he did anything worth being fired over and I agree the ACLU and his union should be supporting him.
Agreed.

Last edited:
He has the constitutional right to peacfully demonstrate. He did that. This is a no brainer.
Exactly.

However, as a civil servant, at least in the federal realm, he does not have a right to do so while representing himself as an employee of the government.

Anyone familiar with the Hatch Act knows how employees' First Amendment rights have been upheld in the courts over the years.

Idiot.

Moron.

I'm trying to find out where in the constitution, it protects asshats who do things that piss off their employers. Here's a clue. If I worked for Walmart, and put up a billboard saying that Walmart sucks, and they fired me, and I tried to sue on first amendment grounds, I'd be laughed out of court on my first brief.

Combine that with the fact that slavery is long gone and that business cannot override constitutional rights of an individual.

Moron.

So, shit for brains. If I were a Walmart employee, and put up a billboard saying Walmart exploits it workers and sells shit products, and they fired me, you'd support my case? I think you're bullshitting.

Exactly.

However, as a civil servant, at least in the federal realm, he does not have a right to do so while representing himself as an employee of the government.

Anyone familiar with the Hatch Act knows how employees' First Amendment rights have been upheld in the courts over the years.

Anyone familiar with the Hatch Ack knows that a public employee is limited to what they can do in public demonstrations. You can't make a speech soliciting funds. You can't use your public trust as a basis for your speech.

Moron.

So, shit for brains. If I were a Walmart employee, and put up a billboard saying Walmart exploits it workers and sells shit products, and they fired me, you'd support my case? I think you're bullshitting.
[Emphasis added]

Obviously not.

Exactly.

Anyone familiar with the Hatch Ack knows that a public employee is limited to what they can do in public demonstrations. You can't make a speech soliciting funds.
And, look at how the courts have upheld the First Amendment rights by reviewing the challenges and history of the Hatch Act.

... You can't use your public trust as a basis for your speech.
And what the fuck did I just say?

I mean, really. Is my writing less than clear? Seriously.

Moron.

[Emphasis added]

Obviously not.

I think you're a liar. I'd bet if a Walmart employee were to dis their company, and were fired for it, you'd be claiming the exact opposite position. Note, I haven't stated my opinion on the firing, other than saying that the STATE, who this ticket puncher is sucking the teat of, ought to have handled getting rid of this brain dead moron in a more politically correct way.

[Emphasis added]

Obviously not.

I think you're a liar. I'd bet if a Walmart employee were to dis their company, and were fired for it, you'd be claiming the exact opposite position. Note, I haven't stated my opinion on the firing, other than saying that the STATE, who this ticket puncher is sucking the teat of, ought to have handled getting rid of this brain dead moron in a more politically correct way.
You can 'think' all you want. Imagination is a wonderful part of the human thought process, however it has no place in any rational debate.

There is a curious irony to this debate, if I am free to be an a_hole, why does my employer have to tolerate me? Having worked in corporate America a long time, be aware that your freedom may extend to the door being shown you and not in a good way.

"The answer is a pretty clear "yes" in the majority of circumstances. Because most states have "at will" employment laws, getting fired for online behavior of almost any sort is probably legal, with a few possible exceptions. To be more blunt about it, an employee probably doesn't even have to write negatively about their employer (or consort with criminals) in order to be fired. The noteworthy exceptions primarily involve an employee's: 1) union activicties; 2) pre-existing employment contracts or workplace policies; and 3) whistleblowing or protected activities."

FindLaw's Common Law: Legal Topic: Employee Rights

Forum List

Back