Man 'raped by priest 65 years ago'

jchima

Sep 22, 2014
A 72-year-old man has described being raped in a boys' home 65 years ago by a priest who told him if he did not obey him he would "not go to heaven".

Eddie Murphy is the third man to tell the BBC about abuse carried out by Fr Wilfred Johnson at the St Francis Boys' Home in Shefford, Bedfordshire.

He attended the home, which closed in 1974, in the late 1940s to early 1950s.
Fr Johnson, who ran the home from 1945 to 1954, died in 1994. Police are investigating abuse allegations.

Mr Murphy has waived his right to automatic anonymity in order to speak out about the alleged abuse.

"It was a terrible experience. I was molested again and again by Fr Johnson," he said.

"Johnson would tie me to the bed in the bedroom. He raped me a couple of times. I was so terrified. I could not tell my family.

"At one time I told a local bobby. He was not interested. He thought I was a child telling lies.

"The priest used to tell me that if I did not do things I would not go to heaven."
_70470978_blurredlourdes.jpg

Fr John Ryan was photographed in the early 1960s on a trip to Lourdes with some of the boys at the home

Source: Man raped by priest 65 years ago - eReporter

65 years have passed and yet he still hurts over this. Really shows that the victims of being so horribly raped and used by the very people they should be able to trust leaves very long lasting damage.

This man got a life sentence for the priest's crime.

Even now, there are those ^^^ who would happily call him a liar rather than tend to a lifetime of terrible wounds.

Is Fr. Johnson still available to answer his accusers? Are there any additional witnesses who will come forth with testimony? Without collaboration, this is just another case of "kaching!", how much money can this guy sue for.

gallantwarrior

Where does it say he's suing?

This seldom has strictly to do with money. It has to do with a life lost to a vile and dishonest institution.

READ the link.

Mr Murphy said he was in contact with Bedfordshire Police, which has started a new review of allegations from 80 potential victims.

In July 2013 another man, who asked to remain anonymous, also alleged abuse at the hands of Fr. Johnson.

Source: Man raped by priest 65 years ago - eReporter

Last edited:
65 years have passed and yet he still hurts over this. Really shows that the victims of being so horribly raped and used by the very people they should be able to trust leaves very long lasting damage.

This man got a life sentence for the priest's crime.

Even now, there are those ^^^ who would happily call him a liar rather than tend to a lifetime of terrible wounds.

and there are others who would attack God and innocent people who had nothing to do with any incident on account of their faith than heal any wounds.

at this point what is left other than to forgive, move on, and trust God for justice and healing?

Forum List

Back