Man of the Year

Former GOP Rep. Dave Trott told CNN on Friday that he thinks he knows what Trump is talking about. He had invited Trump in 2013 to the Lincoln Day Dinner in Michigan. At the event, Trott presented Trump with a tie, a statuette of Abraham Lincoln and a framed copy of President Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address.
Once again CNN jumps on an honest mistake and calls Trump a liar...but they do not tell the whole story...so just who is lying?....I say CNN is lying by not telling the whole story.....

I watched the video of Anderson Cooper talking about this. It was pretty funny. Trump has apparently mentioned winning the award a number of times publicly. Whether it's an honest mistake or not, it's pretty ridiculous to make that claim over and over if the award doesn't even exist. :p
Obama won some too.

Wait, you claim that Trott made his guess about where the president got the idea he won man of the year on CNN, and then you say CNN is holding back the rest of the story? What are they holding back, precisely?
They reported Trott's words after he came forward and said something....they tried to make Trump look like a liar when they already had Trott's theory....they should have reported it in context...oh but wait...then it wouldn't be a story at all....so why did they even run with it if not to try and harm Trump?....

I see. You're upset that CNN did not report one man's speculation when they put out the story about the president making his claims that he won man of the year. I notice you haven't mentioned the fact that Trott said that while he thinks the Lincoln dinner is where Trump got the idea that he won a man of the year award, there was no such award, nor any award at all in fact. Further, Trott is supposed to have spoken to a CNN fact checker only after the original story about the man of the year claims was published. Since you did not mention either of these things, does that mean you are trying to make CNN look like liars when you already could have found out this information? Should you have reported all of this in context? ;)

Fact-checking Trump's New Hampshire rally - CNNPolitics
Isn't CNN suppose to tell The Whole Story?....or should they just pick out parts that achieve their goals?....

They had a story about Trump claiming to have won man of the year in Michigan. After that story, they had a follow-up story in which Trott gave his supposition about where Trump got the idea he won such an award. You then complain that they aren't telling the whole story. At the same time, you did not give the details of Trott's statements, nor did you provide a link. I guess you don't feel the need to tell the whole story? :lol:

You should just take this for the hilarious news bite it it. ;)
I posted his statement in full...look back in the thread...telling half a story is not telling the whole truth...I don't care what anyone says...CNN had an agenda to show Trump as a liar...they kept and reported the story unconnected to serve their goal....

Here's what you posted:
Former GOP Rep. Dave Trott told CNN on Friday that he thinks he knows what Trump is talking about. He had invited Trump in 2013 to the Lincoln Day Dinner in Michigan. At the event, Trott presented Trump with a tie, a statuette of Abraham Lincoln and a framed copy of President Lincoln’s Gettysburg Address.
Once again CNN jumps on an honest mistake and calls Trump a liar...but they do not tell the whole story...so just who is lying?....I say CNN is lying by not telling the whole story.....

Here's a quote from the CNN story I posted a link to earlier:
After the original version of this article was published on Friday, former Republican congressman Dave Trott told CNN that Trump had claimed at the 2017 roundtable that he had been given the Man of the Year award at a 2013 event where Trott had invited him to speak.
180110170227-dave-trott-file-restricted-medium-plus-169.jpg

Dave Trott
The event was a Lincoln Day dinner Trott had chaired in Oakland County, Michigan. Trott, who represented Michigan's 11th District from 2015 to January 2019, said Trump's speech was well-received, but there was no award.
The transcript of the 2017 roundtable shows that, after Trump spoke of the 2013 speech and thanked Trott — somewhat vaguely, but seemingly over the supposed award — Trott simply responded, "Great speech."
Trott said Friday that, as a congressman, "I wasn't going to correct the president in front of the automotive executives."
"But now that I'm out of Congress, I feel comfortable correcting the story," he said.

Here's some more from Trott care of the Detroit News:
Was Trump ever named Michigan's 'Man of the Year,' as he claims?

Trott never claims anything about this having been an honest mistake. He specifically points out that Trump was given no award. You did not post Trott's statements "in full"' in fact, you did not actually quote Trott at all, nor did you provide a link or say where you got your information from.

So again, you complain that CNN doesn't tell the whole story when they actually ended up interviewing and providing quotes from Trott after they first ran the Trump story, while you didn't mention that Trott stated there was no award given out at the Lincoln dinner, or that Trott claims he didn't speak up in the past to try to avoid embarrassing Trump.

Look, I totally agree that CNN wants to make Trump look bad. They aren't going to go out of their way to be objective, they want Trump to appear foolish. In this case, however, they really don't seem to need to do anything but report for that to happen: Trump does look foolish for repeatedly claiming to have won an award that he did not win and which doesn't even seem to exist.

Last edited:
They reported Trott's words after he came forward and said something....they tried to make Trump look like a liar when they already had Trott's theory....they should have reported it in context...oh but wait...then it wouldn't be a story at all....so why did they even run with it if not to try and harm Trump?....

I see. You're upset that CNN did not report one man's speculation when they put out the story about the president making his claims that he won man of the year. I notice you haven't mentioned the fact that Trott said that while he thinks the Lincoln dinner is where Trump got the idea that he won a man of the year award, there was no such award, nor any award at all in fact. Further, Trott is supposed to have spoken to a CNN fact checker only after the original story about the man of the year claims was published. Since you did not mention either of these things, does that mean you are trying to make CNN look like liars when you already could have found out this information? Should you have reported all of this in context? ;)

Isn't CNN suppose to tell The Whole Story?....or should they just pick out parts that achieve their goals?....

They had a story about Trump claiming to have won man of the year in Michigan. After that story, they had a follow-up story in which Trott gave his supposition about where Trump got the idea he won such an award. You then complain that they aren't telling the whole story. At the same time, you did not give the details of Trott's statements, nor did you provide a link. I guess you don't feel the need to tell the whole story? :lol:

I posted his statement in full...look back in the thread...telling half a story is not telling the whole truth...I don't care what anyone says...CNN had an agenda to show Trump as a liar...they kept and reported the story unconnected to serve their goal....

Here's what you posted:

After the original version of this article was published on Friday, former Republican congressman Dave Trott told CNN that Trump had claimed at the 2017 roundtable that he had been given the Man of the Year award at a 2013 event where Trott had invited him to speak.

Dave Trott
The event was a Lincoln Day dinner Trott had chaired in Oakland County, Michigan. Trott, who represented Michigan's 11th District from 2015 to January 2019, said Trump's speech was well-received, but there was no award.
The transcript of the 2017 roundtable shows that, after Trump spoke of the 2013 speech and thanked Trott — somewhat vaguely, but seemingly over the supposed award — Trott simply responded, "Great speech."
Trott said Friday that, as a congressman, "I wasn't going to correct the president in front of the automotive executives."
"But now that I'm out of Congress, I feel comfortable correcting the story," he said.

Trott never claims anything about this having been an honest mistake. He specifically points out that Trump was given no award. You did not post Trott's statements "in full"' in fact, you did not actually quote Trott at all, nor did you provide a link or say where you got your information from.

So again, you complain that CNN doesn't tell the whole story when they actually ended up interviewing and providing quotes from Trott after they first ran the Trump story, while you didn't mention that Trott stated there was no award given out at the Lincoln dinner, or that Trott claims he didn't speak up on the past to try to avoid embarrassing Trump.

Look, I totally agree that CNN wants to make Trump look bad. They aren't going to go out of their way to be objective, they want Trump to appear foolish. In this case, however, they really don't seem to need to do anything but report for that to happen: Trump does look foolish for repeatedly claiming to have won an award that he did not win and which doesn't even seem to exist.
I was referring to the on air report....but you know that...don't you?...

Here's what you posted:

Dave Trott

So again, you complain that CNN doesn't tell the whole story when they actually ended up interviewing and providing quotes from Trott after they first ran the Trump story, while you didn't mention that Trott stated there was no award given out at the Lincoln dinner, or that Trott claims he didn't speak up on the past to try to avoid embarrassing Trump.

Since you neither stated nor hinted that you got your information from a broadcast, no, I didn't know that. I'm not sure how it changes anything.

Here's what you posted:

Dave Trott

Since you neither stated nor hinted that you got your information from a broadcast, no, I didn't know that. I'm not sure how it changes anything.
Its more widely viewed...and they know it...the conversation began about Anderson Coopers show...

Forum List

Back