Man Jailed For 16 Weeks After Setting Off Fireworks At Remembrance Event

And people don't go to jail over it, they might get a fine but no jail.
Is this your beef ?
Tip of the iceberg there buddy........ Here's your new National Anthem;

Think you are being a bit melodramatic.Its illegal to fire rockets into a crowd of 300 pensioners. He is probably in a safer place anyway.

The night human tragedy engulfed the National Stadium of Wales

He fired them into the crowd or into the air? Which is it? It's doesn't say in the article. It does say the vets became violent........ As for the Wales event that appears to be a whole different issue and honestly has no true bearing on this incident. If someone here fired fireworks into a crowd then of course they would be arrested and possibly jailed depending on circumstances, i e whether they were being stupid or malicious. We also don't fine or lock people up for thought and speech crimes though there are some totalitarians here that advocate as much, (reference "tip of the iceberg").

So are you trying to build this into a wider issue ? He could have been done for breach of the peace as well. Anyway,this homeless man now has somewhere warm to sleep for christmas.

It is a wider issue, you're just too myopic to see it.

Is this your beef ?

Think you are being a bit melodramatic.Its illegal to fire rockets into a crowd of 300 pensioners. He is probably in a safer place anyway.

He fired them into the crowd or into the air? Which is it? It's doesn't say in the article. It does say the vets became violent........ As for the Wales event that appears to be a whole different issue and honestly has no true bearing on this incident. If someone here fired fireworks into a crowd then of course they would be arrested and possibly jailed depending on circumstances, i e whether they were being stupid or malicious. We also don't fine or lock people up for thought and speech crimes though there are some totalitarians here that advocate as much, (reference "tip of the iceberg").

So are you trying to build this into a wider issue ? He could have been done for breach of the peace as well. Anyway,this homeless man now has somewhere warm to sleep for christmas.

It really isnt. On balance I disagree with the sentence. The guy is a homeless loser and probably needs help more than punishment. That is the wider issue .
But he was out of order and can have no complaints. If he had been at ground level he would probably have been torn limb from limb so he got off lightly.
In the US you allow loonies to picket funerals. Where is the great victory for free speech there ?

Fireworks are illegal to shoot off here in Wisconsin too, but they sell them everywhere, and you can shoot them off right next to a cop, and unless someone bitches, they ignore it.
I was at a football match a few years back where they shot off a rocket that killed someone. I later found out that the lad who did was an old school friend. He was an idiot rather than a killer. All very sad.
Like Ringel pointed out, did the person intentionally shoot a rocket into a crowd, or did it turn and go into a crowd by accident? That is pertinent. Myself, I don't shoot rockets anyway. I have mortars. They shoot like a canon, go straight up a couple hundred feet and explode, far away from anyone. I've shot them off from right here at my place on the edge on town, and I was one of probably four different people that were all shooting them off. Not a cop in sight, no one cared. Most people come outside to watch, they like it.
Yup, we used to fire our rockets into the fields behind our house. Not at people holding a 2 minute silence for the fallen. There is a time and a place. This was neither.
After reading the article a second time, it says nothing about anyone being HIT with a firework. The first fire cracker(s) just "banged," and the second firework, a rocket, went over everyone's heads. So, they're just mad he set off fireworks NEAR them.

Here, he'd have been fined, NOT sentenced to 16 WEEKS IN JAIL. But, the dude does sound like an IDIOT and a repeat offender.

Last edited:
Fireworks are illegal to shoot off here in Wisconsin too, but they sell them everywhere, and you can shoot them off right next to a cop, and unless someone bitches, they ignore it.
I was at a football match a few years back where they shot off a rocket that killed someone. I later found out that the lad who did was an old school friend. He was an idiot rather than a killer. All very sad.
Like Ringel pointed out, did the person intentionally shoot a rocket into a crowd, or did it turn and go into a crowd by accident? That is pertinent. Myself, I don't shoot rockets anyway. I have mortars. They shoot like a canon, go straight up a couple hundred feet and explode, far away from anyone. I've shot them off from right here at my place on the edge on town, and I was one of probably four different people that were all shooting them off. Not a cop in sight, no one cared. Most people come outside to watch, they like it.
Yup, we used to fire our rockets into the fields behind our house. Not at people holding a 2 minute silence for the fallen. There is a time and a place. This was neither.
After reading the article a second time, it says nothing about anyone being HIT with a firework. The first fire cracker(s) just "banged," and the second firework, a rocket, went over everyone's heads. So, they're just mad he set off fireworks NEAR them.

Here, he'd have been fined, NOT sentenced to 16 WEEKS IN JAIL. But, the dude does sound like an IDIOT and a repeat offender.
There are record numbers of homeless people in the UK after 10 years of tory rule. Jail is the only place available to put these poor sods.

It really isnt. On balance I disagree with the sentence. The guy is a homeless loser and probably needs help more than punishment. That is the wider issue .
But he was out of order and can have no complaints. If he had been at ground level he would probably have been torn limb from limb so he got off lightly.
In the US you allow loonies to picket funerals. Where is the great victory for free speech there ?

Free speech means free speech, it means people have the right to say what they think regardless of whether we like it or not, whether it offends or not. Obviously you have no clue and would stifle speech you find offensive, that's not freedom, that's tyranny.

Free speech means free speech, it means people have the right to say what they think regardless of whether we like it or not, whether it offends or not. Obviously you have no clue and would stifle speech you find offensive, that's not freedom, that's tyranny.
This is a public safety issue not a free speech issue.
Tell me what deep political point he was making with his fireworks.

Wow...... Talk about twisting and spinning.... Pathetic even for you. :lol:
I was addressing your comment about free speech in the US, obviously you missed it or chose to ignore it. :thup:

I was addressing your comment about free speech in the US, obviously you missed it or chose to ignore it. :thup:
Not at all. There are limits to free speech.Picketing funerals for example. Disrupting a minutes silence is another.You are implying that the UK is a massive gulag oppressing political thought. It isnt.

Not at all. There are limits to free speech.Picketing funerals for example. Disrupting a minutes silence is another.You are implying that the UK is a massive gulag oppressing political thought. It isnt.
Not yet but ya'll are getting there slowly but surely.........

No, there are no limits to free speech. There are consequences, inciting a riot, yelling fire in a crowded theater that results in injury or death, etc but in a public area speech is free. The speech itself is not regulated, the results of that speech are, there is a definitive difference. As for picketing funerals they can only do so outside of the burial facility and as has been seen that has consequences, slashed tires, keyed paint jobs, etc.
Again I ask, did the perp fire into the crowd or not? If he fired into the crowd on purpose then by all means he needs to be punished with jail time, if not then a simple fine would be appropriate, if he can't pay the fine then he might end up in jail in this country. Here disturbing the peace might get you tossed in jail overnight but that's about it unless it becomes a constant problem then they throw the book at you and you're in jail for at least sixty days up to a year.

Forum List

Back