Make 25% Standard Tip Rate....

Tipping should be done away with altogether. It is a stupid tradition.

I like tipping. It rewards for good service. I do not like it when they expect a tip..... or BAD service, or no service.

I like tipping. It rewards for good service. I do not like it when they expect a tip..... or BAD service, or no service.

It's stupid. You can't expect good service without additional extortion? If you don't give the bus driver an extra few bucks he'll drive into a tree or pull over and take a nap before completing the route? If you don't slip your surgeon a c-note he'll use a rusty butter knife and take out the wrong organ? Are you 'forced' to throw a few dollars to the kid at the grocery store or you won't get your food put into a bag? Nonsense. Pay employees a reasonable wage and charge customers accordingly without the stupid role play.

It's stupid. You can't expect good service without additional extortion? If you don't give the bus driver an extra few bucks he'll drive into a tree or pull over and take a nap before completing the route? If you don't slip your surgeon a c-note he'll use a rusty butter knife and take out the wrong organ? Are you 'forced' to throw a few dollars to the kid at the grocery store or you won't get your food put into a bag? Nonsense. Pay employees a reasonable wage and charge customers accordingly without the stupid role play.

No.... for me i expect a waiter to give 110%.... with NO expectation of any tip at all. And if they dont... they get fired.

Tipping thing in this country has become an expectation for good..or bad serviace..... now they want more.

Do away with tipping and expect good service from everyone in the service industry. The only 'tip' should be not getting your ass fired for poor service.

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

Now increase the number of tables to 4. Is a waiter worth $59.92 per hour?

Would you pay a mandatory 25% tip in a restaurant?

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

General Services Agency : Minimum Wage Ordinance (MWO)
In San Francisco, Health Care Shows Up on Restaurant Bills - Health Blog - WSJ

I completely agree with every point you've made.

I felt obligated, however, to point out that federal tax laws require that wait staff claim 100% of tips received (though they generally only expect to find 8% of their total sales)
:cool:

Signed,
Service Manager
;)

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

I felt obligated, however, to point out that federal tax laws require that wait staff claim 100% of tips received (though they generally only expect to find 8% of their total sales)

Signed,
Service Manager
;)

What they should claim.... and what they DO claim are two different things. And they do not claim anything on CASH tips.

You know it and i know it....service manager.

signed
Executive Pastry Chef

Signed,
Service Manager
;)

What they should claim.... and what they DO claim are two different things. And they do not claim anything on CASH tips.

signed
Executive Pastry Chef
:D
Made me smile!!
I was just saying what I've been trained to say
:eusa_shhh:

California may be different but we have to claim cash tips.
SOO many servers I know have been audited. I heard somewhere that they're the most audited class in the workforce (shrug)

A lot os upscale restaurants charge the tip upfront. but you get better service.

If you go to a restaurant that charges a tip up front you are being ripped off.

The much better half and I ate at a restaurant that added an automatic 15% gratuity to our bill. I paid it, and we left. The waiter came after us, and confronted us in the parking lot, screaming at me that we didn't leave a tip. I told him that the tip was added to the bill, and he needed to get it from his boss. He bitched about how he didn't get that gratuity, and we needed to give him something.

I never laughed so hard in my life as we walked away without us giving him an extra dime.

If it's mandatory it is NOT a tip.

Then it is merely the cost of the food and service.

What do you care who gets it?

A lot os upscale restaurants charge the tip upfront. but you get better service.

The much better half and I ate at a restaurant that added an automatic 15% gratuity to our bill. I paid it, and we left. The waiter came after us, and confronted us in the parking lot, screaming at me that we didn't leave a tip. I told him that the tip was added to the bill, and he needed to get it from his boss. He bitched about how he didn't get that gratuity, and we needed to give him something.

I never laughed so hard in my life as we walked away without us giving him an extra dime.

A HUGE part of mandatory tipping being automatically added onto a bill is DOUBLE tipping. Servers LOVE this feature. If a patron is not made aware of the already charged tip....a good deal of the time, the patron over looks it in the a charges and tips ,over and above the already added on tip.

Just imagine.... a 50% tip.

Good for you for laughing at the server.

Signed,
Service Manager
;)

signed
Executive Pastry Chef
Made me smile!!
I was just saying what I've been trained to say
:eusa_shhh:

California may be different but we have to claim cash tips.
SOO many servers I know have been audited. I heard somewhere that they're the most audited class in the workforce (shrug)

yea made me laugh too! :)

Front of the house and back of the hours..... war. What can i say :lol:

No, I would not pay a forced 25% tip, and I have been known to tip well beyond that range on my own.

Also, tips are only to be paid on the price of the meal, not the meal + tax.
A couple years ago I went with my daughter and a dozen of her friends out for dinner at a fairly nice restaurant, being a party of 14, they tacked on a 15% gratuity (which was expected and I knew about in advance). However, they calculated that 15% based upon the price of the meal plus the taxes. I made the manager change the bill to only charge the gratuity based upon the actual meal price. He even apologized for over charging the gratuity.
Two things about this dinner, first, the service was excellent and second, none of the kids knew in advance that I was going to pick up the tab. I told the kids to leave the tip even after I had already paid 15% on the bill. The wait staff ended up with about a 30% total gratuity.

Also, tips are only to be paid on the price of the meal, not the meal + tax.
One more thing.
If you go to one of those mediocre restaurants and use a coupon that gives some sort of discount, the tip should be based upon the value of the meal, not your actual cost. Don't stiff the wait staff just because you got a discount on the meal.

About 4 months ago I fired one of my servers for that shit.
A couple paid their check and told him to keep the change.
He told them to keep it, "That's not a tip" he told them
:evil:

What's even funnier?

I was interviewing a girl to replace that spot and one of the questions is, "Describe a difficult guest situation and what did you do to resolve it?"

She told me that she didn't have a story of when she was the server but she did have a story of when she was the guest.

Turns out she was the guest that he gave the tip back to!!
:lol:
She passed all the interviews and was hired.

Karma's a bitch!!
:lol:

Glad I live in Idaho. :eusa_eh:

Glad I live in Idaho. :eusa_eh:

For sure, and here in BC I tie my tips to service. Well, unless the waitress is a true beauty. :eusa_shhh:

I frequent quite a few up scale restaurants in SF... and have never been charged a set gratuity on a table less then 8. And even then its only 18% At up scale restaurants... i EXPECT a better level of service. However most waitstaff in this city are not worth a 5% tip as far as i am concerned.

A tip is something you give for good service rendered. A tip is voluntary.

^^ This. If it were made mandatory I'd never eat out again. We usually tip 15% for good service, more if better than average and less for crappy service. We've never left nothing but have left chump change when treated like chumps.

For good service we leave at a minimum 25% .... We are known for leaving 50%+ That is becasue we want to...and reward good service. We never leave nothing... for bad service we leave $5. ... and that is them making $15/hour...of which they are NOT worth.

Same here. I'm a great tipper. I get pissy if somebody tries to force me to be one.

^^ This. If it were made mandatory I'd never eat out again. We usually tip 15% for good service, more if better than average and less for crappy service. We've never left nothing but have left chump change when treated like chumps.

For good service we leave at a minimum 25% .... We are known for leaving 50%+ That is becasue we want to...and reward good service. We never leave nothing... for bad service we leave $5. ... and that is them making $15/hour...of which they are NOT worth.

Same here. I'm a great tipper. I get pissy if somebody tries to force me to be one.

We're good tippers for good service. Bad service, I have even given a nickel to let them know I do tip but how I felt about the service.

We're good tippers for good service. Bad service, I have even given a nickel to let them know I do tip but how I felt about the service.

I've given shekels... :razz:

Forum List

Back