Make 25% Standard Tip Rate....

A lot os upscale restaurants charge the tip upfront. but you get better service.

I frequent quite a few up scale restaurants in SF... and have never been charged a set gratuity on a table less then 8. And even then its only 18% At up scale restaurants... i EXPECT a better level of service. However most waitstaff in this city are not worth a 5% tip as far as i am concerned.

A tip is something you give for good service rendered. A tip is voluntary.

A tip isn't mandatory, but it is implied. I tip 20-25% no matter what. I don't need them to be my friend, I just need them to bring me my food. Maybe this isn't common, but I've hardly ever encountered bad waitservice anywhere. There's the occasional one that's not in the best of moods, but what the fuck do I care how they feel about their day as long as I get what I ordered?

I don't blame them for being pissy sometimes. If I had to deal with all the uppity ignorant assholes that are out eating I'd probably hate life too.

Last edited:
I like tipping. It rewards for good service. I do not like it when they expect a tip..... or BAD service, or no service.

It's stupid. You can't expect good service without additional extortion? If you don't give the bus driver an extra few bucks he'll drive into a tree or pull over and take a nap before completing the route? If you don't slip your surgeon a c-note he'll use a rusty butter knife and take out the wrong organ? Are you 'forced' to throw a few dollars to the kid at the grocery store or you won't get your food put into a bag? Nonsense. Pay employees a reasonable wage and charge customers accordingly without the stupid role play.

No.... for me i expect a waiter to give 110%.... with NO expectation of any tip at all. And if they dont... they get fired.

Tipping thing in this country has become an expectation for good..or bad serviace..... now they want more.

I like to leave bigger tips, especially at Establishments that I go to often. The exception is really poor service, or bad food. A bad experience, and I will avoid the place for years.
The 25% minimum is Total Bullshit.

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

Now increase the number of tables to 4. Is a waiter worth $59.92 per hour?

Would you pay a mandatory 25% tip in a restaurant?

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

General Services Agency : Minimum Wage Ordinance (MWO)
In San Francisco, Health Care Shows Up on Restaurant Bills - Health Blog - WSJ

I eat out, a lot. I always tip well for good service BUT, I'd never go back to a restaurant that adds that surcharge ahead of time unless its for a large party, period.

25%? they are nuts.....but, we already knew that;)

A lot os upscale restaurants charge the tip upfront. but you get better service.

I frequent quite a few up scale restaurants in SF... and have never been charged a set gratuity on a table less then 8. And even then its only 18% At up scale restaurants... i EXPECT a better level of service. However most waitstaff in this city are not worth a 5% tip as far as i am concerned.

A tip isn't mandatory, but it is implied. I tip 20-25% no matter what. I don't need them to be my friend, I just need them to bring me my food. Maybe this isn't common, but I've hardly ever encountered bad waitservice anywhere. There's the occasional one that's not in the best of moods, but what the fuck do I care how they feel about their day as long as I get what I ordered?

I don't blame them for being pissy sometimes. If I had to deal with all the uppity ignorant assholes that are out eating I'd probably hate life too.

At $60 and hour? Even from a mom and pop greasy spoon place i would except FIRST class service.

I don't care if THEY are having a bad day. I am not eating there to deal with their personal problems. Wait staff is paid to be nice, helpful and most of all friendly AND courteous.

I expect to be greeted with a smile, not a sullen snarl
I expect to have my drink refiled, without having to ask.
I expect my order to be taken in a timely manner.
I expect my order to be taken down correctly.
I expect my food to come as ordered and if not taken away and replaced.
I expect my server to come and check to see if my order is to my liking.
I expect my server to make sure my table is cleared and wiped down after we are finished.
I expect my check to come and not have to ask for it.

I expect all of that from a minimum wage server.... without a tip involved. That is THEIR job. All of that is what they are being paid by the employer to do.

A tip is what you leave in appreciation service rendered.... 15% is standard.

For 25%.... They better deliver over and above all of what i just listed.

When is a tip not a tip? VERY good question. It would seem that waiters in San Francisco want a raise. They are pushing for a 25% mandatory tip to be placed on your restaurant bill. It will no longer be a reward for good service... but a given, an automatic gratuity.

Understand, they already make $9.92/hour as minimum wage. Restaurants are tacking on a health care surcharge at about 2% of the bill. As it stands... waiters only have to report 15% to the IRS, even if they make more then that.

Think about that. One table, one check of $50, they will make $12.50 in a tip. Are they wroth $22.42/hour?

SAN FRANCISCO (CBS SF/99.7 Now) – It’s a question many of us ask when we go out to a restaurant. “How much should I tip?” Whether your service is good or bad, some San Francisco restaurant workers want to implement a 25% standard tip onto your bill for you,

San Francisco Restaurant Workers Want To Make 25% Standard Tip Rate « CBS San Francisco

I spent 4 long hours as a servers assistant one "tip a cop night". Serving is hard work, fast paced and errors are not soon forgiven. That said, 25% is too much, expecially in the trendy high end places in The City (San Francisco, for those not in the know). I generally tip 18%, less if the service is deficient in some areas. On occassion I have not tipped, but when I do I also leave a note on the bill why. Usually the fault is in the food, not the service, on those rare occassions I stiff them.

I miss Clown Alley (best burgers ever) and Doggie Diner (best hot pastrami on Rye) and a real "It's It" from Playland. Bill's burgers on Clement are still good (my favorite was the Herb Cane).

I spent 4 long hours as a servers assistant one "tip a cop night". Serving is hard work, fast paced and errors are not soon forgiven. That said, 25% is too much, expecially in the trendy high end places in The City (San Francisco, for those not in the know). I generally tip 18%, less if the service is deficient in some areas. On occassion I have not tipped, but when I do I also leave a note on the bill why. Usually the fault is in the food, not the service, on those rare occassions I stiff them.

I miss Clown Alley (best burgers ever) and Doggie Diner (best hot pastrami on Rye) and a real "It's It" from Playland. Bill's burgers on Clement are still good (my favorite was the Herb Cane).

Yes.... if the food is the problem... NEVER blame the server. It is not their fault. I totally agree with that.

OMG... blasts from the past! Pronto Pup! Its It have never been the same since they left playland and went comericial.... How could you go wrong eating one watching laughing Sal?

Last Monday I ate at Yankee Pier SF International Airport.

Double Tequilla
3 Fish Tacos
Cup of Clam Chowder (which was really good, and probably all I should have gotten)
1/2 Carafe Chardonay
Double Drambui

Total = $75.05
Tip= $10.95

Double Tequilla
3 Fish Tacos
Cup of Clam Chowder (which was really good, and probably all I should have gotten)
1/2 Carafe Chardonay
Double Drambui

Total = $75.05
Tip= $10.95

Just think...

at 25% your tip would have been 18.76..... mandatory
Total bill would have been 93.81

When my ex FIL was alive, he had a strict $2 tip policy...but he only ate out at restaurants like Denny's.:lol:

I am known to be a very "heavy" tipper if the service is good. I usually tip between 30% and 50%. Just about everywhere we frequent the waiters all know this. As a result, we always get excellent service. However, I would not frequent a place that had a "mandatory" required tip. To me, a tip is a volunteer thing between the waitstaff and the customer. I won't be strong armed into a forced tip.

Double Tequilla
3 Fish Tacos
1/2 Carafe Chardonay
Double Drambui

Total = $75.05
Tip= $10.95

You cheap bastard. :lol:

I sat at the bar.

:cool:

And... it would make no difference where you sat. They want 25% tacked onto EVERY bill.

^^ This. If it were made mandatory I'd never eat out again. We usually tip 15% for good service, more if better than average and less for crappy service. We've never left nothing but have left chump change when treated like chumps.

For good service we leave at a minimum 25% .... We are known for leaving 50%+ That is becasue we want to...and reward good service. We never leave nothing... for bad service we leave $5. ... and that is them making $15/hour...of which they are NOT worth.

i can't speak for where you are, but in NY, wait staff are exempt from minimum wage laws. they live on tips.

that said, tips should be given by choice unless the restaurant has a stated policy of including a tip for large parties.

^^ This. If it were made mandatory I'd never eat out again. We usually tip 15% for good service, more if better than average and less for crappy service. We've never left nothing but have left chump change when treated like chumps.

For good service we leave at a minimum 25% .... We are known for leaving 50%+ That is becasue we want to...and reward good service. We never leave nothing... for bad service we leave $5. ... and that is them making $15/hour...of which they are NOT worth.

i can't speak for where you are, but in NY, wait staff are exempt from minimum wage laws. they live on tips.

that said, tips should be given by choice unless the restaurant has a stated policy of including a tip for large parties.

They make minimum wage... and a top dollar minimum wage to boot. They get minimum wage PLUS their tips. Now they want a raise.

I agree... tipping is voluntary, it is not a given.

At $60 and hour? Even from a mom and pop greasy spoon place i would except FIRST class service.

I don't care if THEY are having a bad day. I am not eating there to deal with their personal problems. Wait staff is paid to be nice, helpful and most of all friendly AND courteous.

I expect to be greeted with a smile, not a sullen snarl
I expect to have my drink refiled, without having to ask.
I expect my order to be taken in a timely manner.
I expect my order to be taken down correctly.
I expect my food to come as ordered and if not taken away and replaced.
I expect my server to come and check to see if my order is to my liking.
I expect my server to make sure my table is cleared and wiped down after we are finished.
I expect my check to come and not have to ask for it.

I expect all of that from a minimum wage server.... without a tip involved. That is THEIR job. All of that is what they are being paid by the employer to do.

A tip is what you leave in appreciation service rendered.... 15% is standard.

For 25%.... They better deliver over and above all of what i just listed.

You would be one of those uppity assholes I mentioned.

I don't disagree with much of that, but you need to come down off your high horse.

Forum List

Back