Lyrics You Had Wrong For Years

Like many ... I've been a fan of music for years. My favorite genre is classic rock but I listen to just about anything with good lyrics and melody. Old country, blues, pop, southern rock, folk, etc.

Anyway, there are a few songs that I've sung incorrectly for most of my life. Here's an example:

Elton John's -- Bennie And The Jets:

What I heard: "... she's got electric boobs, her mom has two, you know I read it in a magazine ..."
What EJ is saying: "... she's got electric boots, a mohair suit, you know I read it in a magazine ..."

I have lots more where that came from. Hahahaha
Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

They sang: Desmond takes a trolley to the jeweler's store

I heard: Desmond takes his money to the Jew next store

When we were kids, the big debate was whether the Gilligan's Island theme said they were on a three hour tour or on a FREE hour tour.

Either way, I'm still trying to figure out how the Howells ended up with 45 different outfits while carrying millions in money and jewels while all Gilligan and the Skipper had was a red and blue shirts! :smoke:

Queen: We Will Rock You

What I heard: "... kickin' your cat all over the place ..."
Actual lyrics: "... kickin' your can all over the place ..."

Roberta Flack: Killing Me Softly

What I heard for years: "... strummin' my face with his fingers ..."
Actual words: "... strummin' my pain with his fingers ..."

Like many ... I've been a fan of music for years. My favorite genre is classic rock but I listen to just about anything with good lyrics and melody. Old country, blues, pop, southern rock, folk, etc.

Anyway, there are a few songs that I've sung incorrectly for most of my life. Here's an example:

What I heard: "... she's got electric boobs, her mom has two, you know I read it in a magazine ..."
What EJ is saying: "... she's got electric boots, a mohair suit, you know I read it in a magazine ..."

I thought he said - "she's got electric boobs, a monkey suit...

I often have gotten Bjork's lyrics wrong....I often have to go back and read the lyrics just to understand her songs. I love her music because she is just so different than anything I have ever listened to before. I often mishear her words she is saying in some of her songs due to her voice I think and because her music I find sometimes to be complex and cryptic. If I don't read her lyrics before listening to some of her songs I will often mishear her words sometimes.

Bjork - Hyperballad

Bjork - Unravel

Last edited:
I often have gotten Bjork's lyrics wrong....I often have to go back and read the lyrics just to understand her songs. I love her music because she is just so different than anything I have ever listened to before. I often mishear her words she is saying in some of her songs due to her voice I think and because her music I find sometimes to be complex and cryptic.

Weird.

Wot I 'eard.
Sail on Silver Bird,
Sail on by,
Your time has come to shine
all your dreams are over

Actual:
Sail on silver girl
Sail on by
Your time has come to shine
All your dreams are on their way
See how they shine
Oh, if you need a friend
I'm sailing right behind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will ease your mind

Greg

I was always saying why smoke? and not Fog on the water?
The other dude said - because you can't fock on water
And the third guy said - fellows the hotel they stayed burned down - and we, ah......

My oldest brother thought that the Aerosmith song "Walk this way" - they were singing "Gorgeous Legs".
Which is funny, because he had the album and right there is the title.

My oldest brother thought that the Aerosmith song "Walk this way" - they were singing "Gorgeous Legs".
Which is funny, because he had the album and right there is the title.
A friend of mine thought “My Eyes Adored You” were “My Eyes of Georgia.”

Many of songs I mistook the lyrics. Now I just forget them.

Forum List

Back