Love this quote by a protestor

So they are dumb because they took out a loan for a college education, which is usually considered a good investment. They didn't say they are getting financial aid, they said they were getting a loan.
What if they said they were paying a mortgage? Would you think differently about this person?
What if this person was a tea party member?

The only problem here, is it is a college student who is taking a loan out to achieve the american dream.

Best Ivy League Schools By Salary Potential

Wouldn't a degree from a Ivy League school be a good investment? Well, at least before Wall Street drove us into a recession.

It is not considered a good investment by anyone with a brain. They probably have a degrees in Elizabethan English.
So going to a school that is in the top 25 for graduate salary statistics is a bad investment?

One has to wonder if you guys think only rich people should get a Ivy League education, and have a better chance at earning a larger income.

My real point is, the only reason most have a problem with this person is they are a college student. If it was a tea party member with a home mortgage it would be a different story.

Wasn't it the tea party, and the right that made a big deal about the bail outs?

Every generation has students that bitch about tuition being too high, loans are too onerous, can't get a job, etc.

However, its an interesting topic.

If you look at the breakdown of income growth over the past 40 years, almost all the gains have gone to those with higher education. For example, if you are a white male high school dropout, your income after inflation has actually fallen during this time, whereas if you have a Masters degree or better, your income has risen faster than growth in the economy.

And if you parse it even further, it appears that much of the gains have been transferred to those who best able to exploit changes in technology. This has been the biggest untold story of the past 40 years. You have those who are beneficiaries of technological change - higher education, Silicon Valley, etc. - and those who have been hurt by it - the uneducated, low-end manufacturing, etc.

And that includes those offering higher education. Tuition has been growing at 7%-8% per year for the past few decades as salaries for professors have risen, post-secondary institutions have expanded, etc.

We've now gotten to a point, I think, where higher education is pricing itself out of the market. For the average college entrant, I don't think it pays to go to the very best universities any more. For example, the difference in tuition between going to an Ivy League school or a state university over four years is upwards of $200,000 for essentially the same degree. For the average college graduate, they will never make up the $200k difference between the two. Thus, it makes more sense for the average college graduate to go to, say, Florida State than it does Duke. It might not for the very top graduates, but it probably does for everyone else.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out over the next 20 years. Will Ivy League applications fall, for example? I had read somewhere that law school applications are down by 10% compared to a few years ago. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, it makes sense because average legal salaries have not kept up with the crushing debt law students often take on for their education. Students may be figuring out law school isn't worth it. I wonder if they will figure that out about the Ivy League as well.

The point is, even If you go to Columbia the job market is so shitty you can't get a good job.
But hey, way to attack the citizen and not Wall Street. When is the right going to wake up?

This post is a good example of the lefty mindset. They love a boogeyman and hate personal responsibility.

It is not considered a good investment by anyone with a brain. They probably have a degrees in Elizabethan English.
So going to a school that is in the top 25 for graduate salary statistics is a bad investment?

One has to wonder if you guys think only rich people should get a Ivy League education, and have a better chance at earning a larger income.

My real point is, the only reason most have a problem with this person is they are a college student. If it was a tea party member with a home mortgage it would be a different story.

Wasn't it the tea party, and the right that made a big deal about the bail outs?

Every generation has students that bitch about tuition being too high, loans are too onerous, can't get a job, etc.

If you look at the breakdown of income growth over the past 40 years, almost all the gains have gone to those with higher education. For example, if you are a white male high school dropout, your income after inflation has actually fallen during this time, whereas if you have a Masters degree or better, your income has risen faster than growth in the economy.

And if you parse it even further, it appears that much of the gains have been transferred to those who best able to exploit changes in technology. This has been the biggest untold story of the past 40 years. You have those who are beneficiaries of technological change - higher education, Silicon Valley, etc. - and those who have been hurt by it - the uneducated, low-end manufacturing, etc.

And that includes those offering higher education. Tuition has been growing at 7%-8% per year for the past few decades as salaries for professors have risen, post-secondary institutions have expanded, etc.

We've now gotten to a point, I think, where higher education is pricing itself out of the market. For the average college entrant, I don't think it pays to go to the very best universities any more. For example, the difference in tuition between going to an Ivy League school or a state university over four years is upwards of $200,000 for essentially the same degree. For the average college graduate, they will never make up the $200k difference between the two. Thus, it makes more sense for the average college graduate to go to, say, Florida State than it does Duke. It might not for the very top graduates, but it probably does for everyone else.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out over the next 20 years. Will Ivy League applications fall, for example? I had read somewhere that law school applications are down by 10% compared to a few years ago. I don't know if that's true or not, but if it is, it makes sense because average legal salaries have not kept up with the crushing debt law students often take on for their education. Students may be figuring out law school isn't worth it. I wonder if they will figure that out about the Ivy League as well.

There seems to be no consideration of the types of degrees these students earn either. A liberal arts degree from an ivy league school isn't going to help a middle class graduate any more than a liberal arts degree from a state school.

There seems to be no consideration of the types of degrees these students earn either. A liberal arts degree from an ivy league school isn't going to help a middle class graduate any more than a liberal arts degree from a state school.

Indeed. I think it is the course, not the college that matters most... of course, I would say that... I went 'Ivy League' and did a sensible degree. :lol:

Do you have any proof of this claim?

So they are dumb because they took out a loan for a college education, which is usually considered a good investment. They didn't say they are getting financial aid, they said they were getting a loan.
What if they said they were paying a mortgage? Would you think differently about this person?
What if this person was a tea party member?

The only problem here, is it is a college student who is taking a loan out to achieve the american dream.

Best Ivy League Schools By Salary Potential

Wouldn't a degree from a Ivy League school be a good investment? Well, at least before Wall Street drove us into a recession.

She did not say she could not find work, she said she does not want to repay her self inflicted loan. Or perhaps you can point us to where she made a claim she could not find work?

NO ONE forces anyone to borrow money. That is freedom of choice. Yet you liberal retards want to forgive them their debts for no other reason then it "feels" good.

Anyone with a mortgage CHOSE to borrow the money, they need to either pay it back or give back the house. ANYONE that CHOSE to borrow money for college needs to pay it back.

I was hitchhiking in the 70's and got picked up by a couple long haired hippies. The conversation went like this.... " You know I am not the same person that borrowed that money to go to college , man." "ya, why should I have to pay it back when it wasn't me?"

The point is, even If you go to Columbia the job market is so shitty you can't get a good job.
But hey, way to attack the citizen and not Wall Street. When is the right going to wake up?

It's not wall street making them whine about Rice and beans and making them leave their job to go sit on a sidewalk.

Erin Larkins, a Columbia University graduate student at who says she and her boyfriend have significant student loan debt, was among the thousands of protesters on the bridge. She said a friend persuaded her to join the march and she’s glad she did.

“I don’t think we’re asking for much, just to wake up every morning not worrying whether we can pay the rent, or whether our next meal will be rice and beans again,’’ Larkins wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

700 arrested after protest on NY?s Brooklyn Bridge - Boston.com

Poor baby. Eating rice and beans to pay off a debt which you knowingly accumulated.

The starving kids in Africa and the homeless here in the states feel for your plight.

EiG4DEBVenvq4meyY17CxWJ6o1_400.jpg

:confused:

Being upset at being unemployed or under employed as a pretty direct result of Wall Street's actions is a bad thing?

Being upset at wall street for decisions you made make sense?

And why is the job market so shitty? Because of Wall Street? If these idiots want jobs they're holding their protests in the wrong place. Washington is what's killing employment...not Wall Street.

These poor little Columbia graduate students complain about their massive student debts and fears they won't be able get a good job to pay the rent but then go protest on Wall Street? Wall Street has nothing to do with the skyrocketing costs of college tuition nor the lack of jobs.

The cost of college tuition has exploded over the past thirty years because of added services and the administrators that come along with them. Special needs is the buzz phrase of our current generation of educators. Everyone has special needs and everyone requires special programs and those special programs require administrators to oversee the added layers of bureaucracy. The bulk of student tuition no longer goes to pay for classrooms and professors...it goes to pay for administrators and politically correct special needs programs.

That same love of bureaucracy carries over to our government where every problem we encounter demands the creation of another layer of government to address it and another set of regulations that we have to deal with in order to go about our daily lives.

These naive activists have somehow convinced themselves that "rich people" are the problem with their lives and that if we can only force the wealthy to give up their hoarded treasure that everything will be peaches and cream...their tuition will be paid for and high paying jobs for liberal arts majors will miraculously appear out of the ether. And who has convinced them of this? The very people in education and government that have created the swamp we're currently mired in.

A liberal arts degree from an ivy league school isn't going to help a middle class graduate any more than a liberal arts degree from a state school.

Yes it will.

How?

If the guy from a state school interviews for the same job as a guy from an Ivy, the Ivy guy is (all other things being equal) more likely to get it. Brand value is one of the top reasons an Ivy League degree is valuable. Beyond that, Ivy grads are still pretty clubby and doors will open that might not otherwise. It's not that the value of the education received is necessarily any greater, but there is significant value to the degree nonetheless.

Erin Larkins, a Columbia University graduate student at who says she and her boyfriend have significant student loan debt, was among the thousands of protesters on the bridge. She said a friend persuaded her to join the march and she’s glad she did.

“I don’t think we’re asking for much, just to wake up every morning not worrying whether we can pay the rent, or whether our next meal will be rice and beans again,’’ Larkins wrote in an email to The Associated Press.

Poor baby. Eating rice and beans to pay off a debt which you knowingly accumulated.

The starving kids in Africa and the homeless here in the states feel for your plight.

Now see what they want the NEW American dream to be?

Eat your gruel and keep bailing out big business and wallstreet the starving kids in Africa wish they could be in your place.

u

Now see what they want the NEW American dream to be?

Eat your gruel and keep bailing out big business and wallstreet the starving kids in Africa wish they could be in your place.

Don't go into debt and then complain about having to pay it back :thup:

So you are then saying to the American youth DONT GO TO COLLEGE???????>

You completely ignore the fact that tutition is WAY more than when you went to college........WHY???????

So you are then saying to the American youth DONT GO TO COLLEGE???????>

You completely ignore the fact that tutition is WAY more than when you went to college........WHY???????

I'm saying don't go into debt and then complain about paying it back.

I know the concept of not complaining about choices you have made is foreign to you.

Forum List

Back