Lost more ground to living expenses versus pay

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
I just got the news. My rent and part of my Utilities are going up another 30 bucks as of the first of the year. Meanwhile, my heating bill has been going up slowly. My Insurance for my vehicle has gone up. Food prices have gone up and continue to rise. All in all, the total adjustment will be in the excess of over 100 bucks. And then it also bumps me into a higher tax bracket as well.

That means that the COLA of 48 bucks a month doesn't cover the increases once again. Okay, I can afford it. But let's look at the ones on just SSI.

With the Rent and Utilities going up that 30 bucks for a total of 405 bucks for a long term RV Space the size of a postage stamp, versus a 1200 buck SSI check max down to 667 bucks on the low side, add in the other costs, where does that leave the people unable to work due to age and injuries. These people paid into SSI and Medicare their whole adult lives. And they are finding out the programs they were depending on are either being short changed or cut out completely. Now they are being told that they are freeloaders and shunned by one group of people. Guess what, most of these people did the shunning themselves. The Food Banks, Free Lunch Programs, used clothing programs and more from the community is drying up slowly.

There are many "Welfare" programs that they can utilize including housing but those are on the chopping blocks as well. You won't see them on here complaining about it. They can't afford a computer, much less internet access. Most only use throw away 19.95 phones with no internet access. Their life is difficult to say the least. But some want to make it even worse and are in the process of doing just that.

I have been slipping for a couple decades from Middle Class to lower middle class with no change in my financial status. But these folks have gone from poor to poverty with no change in their financial status.

I just got the news. My rent and part of my Utilities are going up another 30 bucks as of the first of the year. Meanwhile, my heating bill has been going up slowly. My Insurance for my vehicle has gone up. Food prices have gone up and continue to rise. All in all, the total adjustment will be in the excess of over 100 bucks. And then it also bumps me into a higher tax bracket as well.

That means that the COLA of 48 bucks a month doesn't cover the increases once again. Okay, I can afford it. But let's look at the ones on just SSI.

With the Rent and Utilities going up that 30 bucks for a total of 405 bucks for a long term RV Space the size of a postage stamp, versus a 1200 buck SSI check max down to 667 bucks on the low side, add in the other costs, where does that leave the people unable to work due to age and injuries. These people paid into SSI and Medicare their whole adult lives. And they are finding out the programs they were depending on are either being short changed or cut out completely. Now they are being told that they are freeloaders and shunned by one group of people. Guess what, most of these people did the shunning themselves. The Food Banks, Free Lunch Programs, used clothing programs and more from the community is drying up slowly.

There are many "Welfare" programs that they can utilize including housing but those are on the chopping blocks as well. You won't see them on here complaining about it. They can't afford a computer, much less internet access. Most only use throw away 19.95 phones with no internet access. Their life is difficult to say the least. But some want to make it even worse and are in the process of doing just that.

I have been slipping for a couple decades from Middle Class to lower middle class with no change in my financial status. But these folks have gone from poor to poverty with no change in their financial status.
I am truly sorry to hear that. But I have to also say that SSI was never intended to be the sole source for retirement income. Or am I wrong about that?

Can't blame that on Trump-we had no COLA's under Obama and just started under Trump.

• Banned

Can't blame that on Trump-we had no COLA's under Obama and just started under Trump.

Can you lie more. Here is the Cola during the Obama and Rump years to date. The Cola rate for 2009 was actually from Bush Jr. The 2017 rate was from Obama. Congress has voted for many years to not accept their automatic Cola rate for themselves. But to say that COLA is the fault of any one President just shows how damned stupid you are. Cola is directly attached to the Growth. No Growth, no Cola. If the nation is in a recession, there is a negative growth, there will be a negative growth and a zero Cola allowance.

• January 2009 -- 5.8%
  • January 2010 -- 0.0%
  • January 2011 -- 0.0%
  • January 2012 -- 3.6%
  • January 2013 -- 1.7%
  • January 2014 -- 1.5%
  • January 2015 -- 1.7%
  • January 2016 -- 0.0%
  • January 2017 -- 0.3%
  • January 2018 -- 2.0%
  • January 2019 -- 2.8%
  • January 2020 -- 1.6%
Okay, Rumpster, listen up. It's not the Cola that's the problem. It's the Rich People that are just grabbing a bigger piece of the pie with little or no regard to the average peoples lives. Yes, the "Average" numbers show an increase but those numbers don't show the real story. When the Rich shows such a huge gain and the average person goes backward little by little, the average number will show an increase. And that is the number you keep harping about.

This isn't a Rump or Obama problem. It's a problem of our entire Government being bought, paid for and controlled by these rich people who show total disregard to America.

• Banned
are you getting a USAF retirement cola?

Yes I am. Like I said, I can afford it but I don't have to like it. I also recieve another income as well from another retirement. I should be like others in hear and condemn the fixed income people on "Welfare" (which I make way too much to receive) but I see others around me that are hard hit that are on the bottom of the income level. Mostly, not by choice. I had choices that I took advantage of. They didn't have those choices.

We spend a lot of time talking bout the plight of Veterans. Most of these people could not have applied to become Veterans due to many issues. AS a Veteran, we have or had Education Benefits, Health Benefits, Group Support and more that they never had. That means they are on the bottom of the education level and income range. Not by choice, it's just the way it is. I am not one of those that say, "I got Mine". Well, I got mine, yes but I also have ears and eyes to those around me.

Start earlier...
Work later...

tenor.gif

The government is not your Mom & Pop. The taxpayers are not responsible to support you or maintain a lifestyle. Social Security was never intended to be sufficient to support anyone totally, and the system was not originally intended to provide disability benefits. FDR and the Progressives of the day were very clear in stating that SS was to SUPPLEMENT your own retirement plan, savings, and family resources (at this time MOST retired people lived with their adult children. What a concept!).

What happened was, when we Boomers came of age and started contributing unprecedented amounts into Social Security, politicians added disability pensions, increased the monthly stipends dramatically for retired people, and added a cost-of-living provision. So now it is quite generous - to the extent that most people have gone through their lifetime contributions within 7-8 years, and are "on welfare" at that point. They are not "getting their own money back" any more.

But the politicians who made these changes were either stupid, evil, or both, in FAILING TO REALIZE that the same population bubble that was increasing tax revenues and allowing them to buy Geezer votes would one day dump tens of millions of beneficiaries onto the system, thus bankrupting it.

So now is not the time to complain that the monthly stipend, by itself, is not enough to live on.

Can you lie more. Here is the Cola during the Obama and Rump years to date. The Cola rate for 2009 was actually from Bush Jr. The 2017 rate was from Obama. Congress has voted for many years to not accept their automatic Cola rate for themselves. But to say that COLA is the fault of any one President just shows how damned stupid you are. Cola is directly attached to the Growth. No Growth, no Cola. If the nation is in a recession, there is a negative growth, there will be a negative growth and a zero Cola allowance.

• January 2009 -- 5.8%
  • January 2010 -- 0.0%
  • January 2011 -- 0.0%
  • January 2012 -- 3.6%
  • January 2013 -- 1.7%
  • January 2014 -- 1.5%
  • January 2015 -- 1.7%
  • January 2016 -- 0.0%
  • January 2017 -- 0.3%
  • January 2018 -- 2.0%
  • January 2019 -- 2.8%
  • January 2020 -- 1.6%
Okay, Rumpster, listen up. It's not the Cola that's the problem. It's the Rich People that are just grabbing a bigger piece of the pie with little or no regard to the average peoples lives. Yes, the "Average" numbers show an increase but those numbers don't show the real story. When the Rich shows such a huge gain and the average person goes backward little by little, the average number will show an increase. And that is the number you keep harping about.

This isn't a Rump or Obama problem. It's a problem of our entire Government being bought, paid for and controlled by these rich people who show total disregard to America.

For low end retirees those COLAS were eaten up by medicare premium hikes....

The government is not your Mom & Pop. The taxpayers are not responsible to support you or maintain a lifestyle. Social Security was never intended to be sufficient to support anyone totally, and the system was not originally intended to provide disability benefits. FDR and the Progressives of the day were very clear in stating that SS was to SUPPLEMENT your own retirement plan, savings, and family resources (at this time MOST retired people lived with their adult children. What a concept!).

What happened was, when we Boomers came of age and started contributing unprecedented amounts into Social Security, politicians added disability pensions, increased the monthly stipends dramatically for retired people, and added a cost-of-living provision. So now it is quite generous - to the extent that most people have gone through their lifetime contributions within 7-8 years, and are "on welfare" at that point. They are not "getting their own money back" any more.

But the politicians who made these changes were either stupid, evil, or both, in FAILING TO REALIZE that the same population bubble that was increasing tax revenues and allowing them to buy Geezer votes would one day dump tens of millions of beneficiaries onto the system, thus bankrupting it.

So now is not the time to complain that the monthly stipend, by itself, is not enough to live on.

th

According to non biased reports the average family income increased 5000.

• January 2009 -- 5.8%
  • January 2010 -- 0.0%
  • January 2011 -- 0.0%
  • January 2012 -- 3.6%
  • January 2013 -- 1.7%
  • January 2014 -- 1.5%
  • January 2015 -- 1.7%
  • January 2016 -- 0.0%
  • January 2017 -- 0.3%
  • January 2018 -- 2.0%
  • January 2019 -- 2.8%
  • January 2020 -- 1.6%

I remember when I had my first brain surgery. . . I came into the emergency room, and pleaded with them to just let me die. They would not. Fuckers.

I am aware of how often I get, or do not get COLA's.

I am also aware that it is not a factor of politics. It is just some bureaucrat, somewhere. . .and a matter of if it is in the budget. meh.

I also am aware that it is not the job of others to take care of me, I am grateful for whatever charity I can find, from either the government or society.

Show gratitude for what you get, do not show resentment and spite for what you think you should get in hand outs.

You post like the productive elites, or society somehow owe people. . . why? For what?

It seems to me, if the poor, elderly and disabled cannot take care of themselves. . . . I guess we have no choice but to die, don't we?

:dunno:

In the mean time. . next time some lefty is going around lobbying for more taxes for this or that, a "green tax" or a "sales tax" for roads, or an "energy/carbon tax" for "the environment," maybe, just maybe, you ought to educate yourself on what REGRESSIVE TAXES are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The green new deal and all climate change fixes will be passed on from the corporate structure to the backs of the poor. If you think your rent and utility bills suck now? Just wait.

I am truly sorry to hear that. But I have to also say that SSI was never intended to be the sole source for retirement income. Or am I wrong about that?

You are wrong.

For some folks that are disabled early in life or born with a disability, they have no other means of survival.

welcome to america,,,

just goes to show if you only depend on the government youre guaranteed hard times,,,

best you can do at this point is to warn the next generations to work harder and be as responsible as they can be,,

You are wrong.

For some folks that are disabled early in life or born with a disability, they have no other means of survival.

its not the feds job,,
let the states do it,,, you would get better results and it would be more efficient,,,

• January 2009 -- 5.8%
  • January 2010 -- 0.0%
  • January 2011 -- 0.0%
  • January 2012 -- 3.6%
  • January 2013 -- 1.7%
  • January 2014 -- 1.5%
  • January 2015 -- 1.7%
  • January 2016 -- 0.0%
  • January 2017 -- 0.3%
  • January 2018 -- 2.0%
  • January 2019 -- 2.8%
  • January 2020 -- 1.6%

You are an asshole-learn how things work. Social security is based on the per cent growth of urban manufacturing wages, which did not grow under Obama since he killed manufacturing. Trump brought it back and we got cost of living raises due to THAT. Has nothing to do with the rich. And if you call a man a liar, be ready to rumble-I don't take that shit from anybody.

You left out that those same Politicos saw a bunch of money just sitting there drawing interest and helped themselves for their own pet projects and never paid that money back. It came to trillions. It wasn't their money, it was mine and others. It turned a very well run and solvent program into the mess it is today. But you won't accept any responibility for it because it would mean that you should fire your representative because they are thieves. They stole directly from us to pay for YOUR welfare programs.

• January 2009 -- 5.8%
  • January 2010 -- 0.0%
  • January 2011 -- 0.0%
  • January 2012 -- 3.6%
  • January 2013 -- 1.7%
  • January 2014 -- 1.5%
  • January 2015 -- 1.7%
  • January 2016 -- 0.0%
  • January 2017 -- 0.3%
  • January 2018 -- 2.0%
  • January 2019 -- 2.8%
  • January 2020 -- 1.6%

For low end retirees those COLAS were eaten up by medicare premium hikes....

MIne was last year. My Medicare part B premium jumped from 105 a month to 135 a month with no increase in services. All that with only about a 20 buck COLA increase in SSI. That's a 10 dollar loss.

That's the average. The Average is made up using the Richest and the Poorest where the Richest skews the figures hard. In this case, the Poorest got proportionately poorer while the Rich got proportionately richer. If you hadn't noticed, the gap between the poor and middle class has been slipping as compared to the rich for decades but the average has been slowly going up. So your statement is mathematically correct but it's just part of the equation.

That's the average. The Average is made up using the Richest and the Poorest where the Richest skews the figures hard. In this case, the Poorest got proportionately poorer while the Rich got proportionately richer. If you hadn't noticed, the gap between the poor and middle class has been slipping as compared to the rich for decades but the average has been slowly going up. So your statement is mathematically correct but it's just part of the equation.

The rich are always going to do better. That is the nature of life. The secret is to allow everyone to do better. That has happened under trump better than any president since I have been alive.

Forum List

Back