Lost Colony of Roanoke

I read somewhere that that either the natives or a virus killed them all.

What year was Roanoke?

Anybody remember drinking Virginia Dare soda pop as a kid? ... :cool:

virginia-dare-soda-bottle-7-oz-pop-beverage-clear-brooklyn-ny-vintage-glass-6ed6eac679a60e1701b38f20ec6795cc.jpg
What flavor was it?

What year was Roanoke?
They settled on Roanoke in 1587. The man in charge, John White, returned to England for supplies and got delayed by war with the Spanish. He returned in 1590 to find them gone. He sent Raleigh to look for them (Raleigh encountered storms and never did land on Croatan to see if they had gone there). Then when Jamestown was settled in 1607, England asked their leader, John Smith, to look for them. Smith found lots of rumors among the natives and some crosses marked on trees (their arranged upon symbol for "trouble") but he was called off the hunt before he found them.

What year was Roanoke?
They settled on Roanoke in 1587. The man in charge, John White, returned to England for supplies and got delayed by war with the Spanish. He returned in 1590 to find them gone. He sent Raleigh to look for them (Raleigh encountered storms and never did land on Croatan to see if they had gone there). Then when Jamestown was settled in 1607, England asked their leader, John Smith, to look for them. Smith found lots of rumors among the natives and some crosses marked on trees (their arranged upon symbol for "trouble") but he was called off the hunt before he found them.

Mosquitos drove them off

They tried to find a new place to settle and the Indians killed the men and married the women

What year was Roanoke?

Mosquitos drove them off

They tried to find a new place to settle and the Indians killed the men and married the women
You aren't buying the Dare Stone? I think it's a true account. Seven survivors. A native American chief told one of the searchers that it was 4 men, 2 boys and a young maid. That would have been Eleanor. If she survived twenty years, she probably did remarry, though.

Hmm, there were other European settlers in America in those times.
Meaning the blonde haired, grey eyed natives were not necessarily descendants of the Roanoke survivors? True, and the researchers realize that. There was also a previous settlement attempt at Roanoke by Sir Walter Raleigh. No doubt if any of those men survived, they also merrily spread their genes through the native population.

The first English Colony of Roanoke, originally consisting of 100 householders, was founded in 1585, 22 years before Jamestown and 37 years before the Pilgrims landed in Massachusetts, under the ultimate authority of Sir Walter Raleigh. In 1584 Raleigh had been granted a patent by Queen Elizabeth I to colonize America.

This Colony was run by Ralph Lane after Sir Richard Grenville, who had transported the colonists to Virginia, returned to Britain for supplies. These colonists were ill-prepared and not particularly clever, because, although they depended upon the local Indians for food, they also antagonized the Indians by such tactics as kidnapping them and holding them hostage in exchange for information. Unfortunately for the colonists, who were desperately in need of supplies, Grenville's return was delayed. As a result, when Sir Francis Drake put in at Roanoke after destroying the Spanish colony of St. Augustine, the entire colony returned with Drake to England.

Interestingly, when Drake picked up these colonists, he left behind 15 of his own men, who were never heard from again.

Colony at Roanoke - 1586

We may never learn what happened at Roanoke. Then again, maybe some old..

Wait, Indian history was passed down orally. Maybe some old artifacts will be found someday.

We may never learn what happened at Roanoke. Then again, maybe some old..

Wait, Indian history was passed down orally. Maybe some old artifacts will be found someday.
That's what's so much fun. Loan me a shovel?

TNHarley
Whenever you're not busy snarking about politicians, do you have any guesses about what happened to them, and does the new stuff on the copper mines or the info on the Dare Stone give you any new ideas?

TNHarley
Whenever you're not busy snarking about politicians, do you have any guesses about what happened to them, and does the new stuff on the copper mines or the info on the Dare Stone give you any new ideas?
Migration is my main theory. I don't think they were in danger, per se. I have read they had signals to use for things that happened. The one for "duress" was a maltese cross.
They never even searched at Croatoan Island even though croatoan was found carved in some wood. They didn't even really start searching until after 1600. A lot of people don't know that. They always had excuses such as piracy or something. That makes me think maybe someone actually knew what happened but they didn't want people to know..
I have read some historians think it might be underwater now as the gov at the time gave different coordinates for the settlement.
They also reported stories of white men being spotted further down the coast. Even saw a small indian boy that looked like he shot out of a Europeans ass. I think someone has stated that already.
All things point to migration, IMO.
I mean, they had time to take down their homes and what not? That's a big clue to me.

They never even searched at Croatoan Island even though croatoan was found carved in some wood. They didn't even really start searching until after 1600. A lot of people don't know that. They always had excuses such as piracy or something. That makes me think maybe someone actually knew what happened but they didn't want people to know..
I agree that seems to be the place they first went--or planned to, anyway. The Dare Stone was found on the mainland, upriver, though. I think it was genuine and it confounds the Croatan story. Unless they were there and like Rightwinger said, they found too many mosquitoes there, too. I haven't looked at Croatan much. That will be next.

TNHarley

I don't see what the big mystery is

They established a small settlement in the middle of nowhere. They were abandoned for three years without supplies and didn't make it

TNHarley

I don't see what the big mystery is

They established a small settlement in the middle of nowhere. They were abandoned for three years without supplies and didn't make it
That is still just an assumption though. That's why its a mystery :)

Hmm, there were other European settlers in America in those times.
Meaning the blonde haired, grey eyed natives were not necessarily descendants of the Roanoke survivors? True, and the researchers realize that. There was also a previous settlement attempt at Roanoke by Sir Walter Raleigh. No doubt if any of those men survived, they also merrily spread their genes through the native population.

The first English Colony of Roanoke, originally consisting of 100 householders, was founded in 1585, 22 years before Jamestown and 37 years before the Pilgrims landed in Massachusetts, under the ultimate authority of Sir Walter Raleigh. In 1584 Raleigh had been granted a patent by Queen Elizabeth I to colonize America.

This Colony was run by Ralph Lane after Sir Richard Grenville, who had transported the colonists to Virginia, returned to Britain for supplies. These colonists were ill-prepared and not particularly clever, because, although they depended upon the local Indians for food, they also antagonized the Indians by such tactics as kidnapping them and holding them hostage in exchange for information. Unfortunately for the colonists, who were desperately in need of supplies, Grenville's return was delayed. As a result, when Sir Francis Drake put in at Roanoke after destroying the Spanish colony of St. Augustine, the entire colony returned with Drake to England.

Interestingly, when Drake picked up these colonists, he left behind 15 of his own men, who were never heard from again.

Colony at Roanoke - 1586
If sailors on a sailing ship get too sick to work then they are of no use on the ship.

El Draco (Sir Francis Drake) probably left them behind knowing they were going to die anyway and that a peaceful death ashore is better than a painful bone chilling death at sea.

Plus sick sailors on a ship take away from the efforts of the healthy sailors.

Not everyone is cut out to be a Sailor -- hard life.

Even fewer are cut out to be Marines !!!

:D

Forum List

Back