Little Crappy Ship

Manonthestreet

Diamond Member
May 20, 2014
lives up to its name.....,,.....all it does is break.
LCS Coronado suffers engineering problem on first deploym | NavyTimes
The littoral combat ship Coronado suffered an engineering breakdown on Monday, two months into its maiden deployment and is returning to port under its own power to get repaired. It is the fourth high-profile engineering calamity in a year to strike the beleaguered ship class, which has been dogged by combat survivability concerns amid all the engineering problems. The events have prompted the Navy's top officer to fast-track changes to the program currently being briefed to leadership.

I'm not sure why we are building more ships anyway. The military says they don't need them, but the republican congress told them they had to build more ships, tanks, and planes that are not needed.

Last edited:
Of all the doomed-to-fail concepts that are baked in to LCS, the one that is most infuriating is the manning concept.

A classic case of, "Here is your number. Make the rest justify it." - it was strictly an artificially constructed idea force-moded on to our Navy by a toxic, anti-intellectual command climate and kept going through bureaucratic inertia, personal loyalty, and the standard issue careerism tactic of pushing problems to other people's PCS cycle.

The last few weeks have been a parade of horrors taking up a lot of space on this blog, but the news is the news. This "quickening of fail" was just a matter of time. As LCS critics have warned for over a decade, once these things start to displace water, you will only be able to hold off the reckoning so long, and then it will all cascade in. Forget chickens, the turkeys are coming home to roost.
CDR Salamander

Well, we've commissioned LCS 1 through LCS 8 - minus LCS 7 that won't be commissioned until 22 OCT 16. That is seven.

Where are they?

• USS FREEDOM (LCS 1): Unavailable due to mechanical failures from JUL 16. San Diego.
  • USS INDEPENDENCE (LCS 2): Available, PMC ASUW. NMC all other PMA.
  • USS FORT WORTH (LCS 3): Unavailable due to mechanical failures from JAN 16. Limping to San Diego.
  • USS CORONADO (LCS 4): Unavailable due to mechanical failures from AUG 16. Pearl Harbor.
  • USS MILWAUKEE (LCS 5): Unavailable due to mechanical failures from DEC 15. Mayport.
  • USS JACKSON (LCS 6): Unavailable due to post-shock test repairs. Mayport.
  • USS DETROIT (LCS 7): Not commissioned until 22 OCT 16.
  • USS MONTGOMERY (LCS 8): Not available due to mechanical failures from SEP 16. Limping to Mayport.
I'm sorry, there is no excuse here. 8-yrs after commissioning of LCS 1, and only one of the ships are available, and that one is the first in class "test ship" that is PMC. Pick any class of warship in the post-WWII era - there has never been this record of failure 8 years in. CDR Salamander

Talk about deplorable

One naval analyst told USNI News on Sunday the casualty comes at a difficult time for the LCS program.

“Regardless of the cause, however, it comes at a sensitive time for the LCS program which still remains controversial both within the Navy and inside DoD,” Eric Wertheim, the author of the U.S. Naval Institute’s Combat Fleets of the World, told USNI News on Sunday.

“Eight years since the first unit of the class entered service, proponents and opponents on each side are still trying to figure out what the future of the LCS fleet will hold, how many ships should be built, where they should operate, and what types of missions they can perform. With all those questions still up in the air, any issues that arise can have an outsized impact on the future of the program.”

According to the third paragraph of the above statement it seems that the LCS is a reality without a defined mission. I suppose that is one way to run a Navy. Could the truth be that "stealth study" snookered the Navy? Or maybe this is how the Navy is working to increase the number of empty beer cans to build boats. To that approach I offer the British ship "Sheffield" which was burned and sunk by Argentina a few years back during the Falklands affair. Beer can boats are great for the Jon Boat class, not much more however.

So fragile Navy cant do a proper shock test for fear of doing massive damage.....Trump needs to sink this thing......
LCS Shock Trials Were Less Severe Than Navy Standard
"The Navy viewed the third [Freedom-class] trial as not worthwhile because the Navy was concerned shocking the ship at the increased level of that trial would significantly damage substantial amounts of non-hardened equipment, as well as damage, potentially significantly, the limited amount of hardened equipment, thereby necessitating costly and lengthy repairs," he wrote. The service opted for a simulated third test instead.

C'mon, folks ... use your head.

The Coronado is a test bed .... that means, it is constructed for specific tests. The rest is just jury rigged to support the subsystems under test. It is NOT a full-up LCS model. I guarantee --- and I've never been on it --- you could find cardboard sheets marked with words like "... radar display ..." or plywood boards marked " .... PRC-47 radio ... " The ship is not intended to be battle-worthy.

The key words "... non-hardened equipment .... ".

Frankly, you're barking up the wrong tree ... you're trying to find ways to make it look like the program is failing, but, it's simply not true. The systems being tested have performed well. Give it a chance to mature into a real ship before you start whining.

As far as I can tell, there has never been protests of any size at any presidential inauguration. Trump will have a very shaky start to what will prove to be a disastrous presidency.

The Coronado is a test bed .... that means, it is constructed for specific tests. The rest is just jury rigged to support the subsystems under test. It is NOT a full-up LCS model. I guarantee --- and I've never been on it --- you could find cardboard sheets marked with words like "... radar display ..." or plywood boards marked " .... PRC-47 radio ... " The ship is not intended to be battle-worthy.

Frankly, you're barking up the wrong tree ... you're trying to find ways to make it look like the program is failing, but, it's simply not true. The systems being tested have performed well. Give it a chance to mature into a real ship before you start whining.
Everyone of them has broken down......have zero offensive punch...yrs behind.....zero range......and overbudget...........funny how you puked out the establisment excuse....give it time.......

Everyone of them has broken down......have zero offensive punch...yrs behind.....zero range......and overbudget...........funny how you puked out the establisment excuse....give it time.......

Believe as you wish .... the truth will set you free of your prejudices and clearly jaundiced view.

What is the modern definition of a "combat ship"? Are all the fat asses in the Pentagon still under the delusion of an ocean going war in the age of drones? The last time I saw U.S. Navy sailors in combat they were crying as they were kidnapped by terrorists from a freaking country that doesn't even have a navy.

What is the modern definition of a "combat ship"? Are all the fat asses in the Pentagon still under the delusion of an ocean going war in the age of drones? The last time I saw U.S. Navy sailors in combat they were crying as they were kidnapped by terrorists from a freaking country that doesn't even have a navy.

I think you greatly demean the contributions of the Navy in the Middle East.

Naval ships serve as a mobile launching pad for air and missile weapons. As long as they can do that, they will continue to be a threat, and continue to be threatened.

How can you call the ship crappy and little? Designers, developers, builders, testers, and so on gave their heart and soul to put it together.

Although must say, that the titanic sank because the investment banker who bought the materials for it refused to spend any more than the cheapest steel. That doesn't make the ship crappy though.

What if your mother ever reconsiders how you turned out? :)

Naval ships serve as a mobile launching pad for air and missile weapons. As long as they can do that, they will continue to be a threat, and continue to be threatened.
What are the "contributions of the Navy in the Middle East"? Bill Clinton threw a couple of million dollar missiles at old training sites but Barry Hussein decided that the Navy was not capable of rescuing the defenders of the Benghazi Alamo. What is the U.S. Navy mission these days?

What are the "contributions of the Navy in the Middle East"? Bill Clinton threw a couple of million dollar missiles at old training sites but Barry Hussein decided that the Navy was not capable of rescuing the defenders of the Benghazi Alamo. What is the U.S. Navy mission these days?

The US navy mission these days is to create jobs by giving insider contracts to select subcontractors who can then outsource the orders to Bangladesh and pocket your tax dollars.

The U. S. Navy mission used to be to furnish big pensions to fat assed Pentagon Admirals and Generals and to get democrats elected. Apparently the mission has changed and let's see what happens next year.

Forum List

Back