Light behind black hole detected...

Missourian

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2008
Missouri
First observed proof that the mass of a black hole is capable of warping space-time...

"Astronomers have detected light coming from behind a black hole for the first time, proving Albert Einstein right, yet again."

Yet again, are the keywords here, because any mass warps space, Einstein predicted it and they have been observing the effect (sometimes called an Einstein Cross) for decades as light from objects behind high mass objects (usually galaxies) is warped to become visible to us from the other side.

Yet again, are the keywords here, because any mass warps space, Einstein predicted it and they have been observing the effect (sometimes called an Einstein Cross) for decades as light from objects behind high mass objects (usually galaxies) is warped to become visible to us from the other side.
I thought that was due to gravitational lensing.

1627635561746.png

Pretty much the same thing.

Even the sun warps space slightly so we can see stars on its far side sooner than expected due to the its gravity field acting as a gravity lens.

*****SMILE*****

:)

Pretty much the same thing.

Even the sun warps space slightly so we can see stars on its far side sooner than expected due to the its gravity field acting as a gravity lens.

Exactly the same thing. In fact, I think observing the displacement of stars near the Sun as seen during a total solar eclipse was the first successful test of Einstein's predictions.

I thought that was due to gravitational lensing.
You are correct. This new observation goes beyond that and involves the warping of magnetic fields as well. Anyone here who pretends to intuitively understand the math involved is probably lying.

Forum List

Back