Life Is Cheap

Gdjjr

Platinum Member
Oct 25, 2019
Texas
North Carolina just paid a man for 15 years of wrongful imprisonment. He was in prison for 44 years.

Ronnie Long was wrongfully imprisoned for 44 years on a rape conviction in North Carolina. But the state is only compensating him for 15 of those years.

He says he deserves more.

In 1976, Long, who is Black, was accused of raping a white woman and then sentenced to life in prison. His attorneys have said that more than 40 fingerprints and other evidence collected at the scene were never shared. Long was freed in August 2020. He just received a $750,000 check.

Liberty and justice for all- correct?

Maybe the guy does deserve more, but to me, what he was given is nothing to scoff at when he didn't even have one penny of it on the day before. Plenty can be done with what he was given considering the clean slate that he has. I'd start with a new car and a place to live if I was in his shoes.

God bless you and him always!!!

Holly

Maybe the guy does deserve more, but to me, what he was given is nothing to scoff at when he didn't even have one penny of it on the day before.

Holly
Its a lot to scoff at.
Thats like 44 years of a full time, minimum wage job.
He could have been making 60k a year and been happy. Had a family... and that is priceless.
The state took that from him.

North Carolina just paid a man for 15 years of wrongful imprisonment. He was in prison for 44 years.

Ronnie Long was wrongfully imprisoned for 44 years on a rape conviction in North Carolina. But the state is only compensating him for 15 of those years.

He says he deserves more.

In 1976, Long, who is Black, was accused of raping a white woman and then sentenced to life in prison. His attorneys have said that more than 40 fingerprints and other evidence collected at the scene were never shared. Long was freed in August 2020. He just received a $750,000 check.

Liberty and justice for all- correct?
That really, sucks. According to the article, life is even cheaper in Mississippi.

Maybe the guy does deserve more, but to me, what he was given is nothing to scoff at when he didn't even have one penny of it on the day before.

Holly
Its a lot to scoff at.
Thats like 44 years of a full time, minimum wage job.
He could have been making 60k a year and been happy. Had a family... and that is priceless.
The state took that from him.
Well look on the bright side. He now has $750,000 dollars to sue the state with should he choose to go such a route. :D :D :D

Holly

0.75 M is too little for 44 years in prison. On the other hand, I understand why the state would have a limit on such a payout because there is no fair amount of money that can compensate for what this man loss.

I think the state of NC should also pay him 100K per year for the rest of his life. Since he has been in prison for 44 years and does not have experience managing money, giving him all the money in a lump sum might not be a good thing.

0.75 M is too little for 44 years in prison. On the other hand, I understand why the state would have a limit on such a payout because there is no fair amount of money that can compensate for what this man loss.

I think the state of NC should also pay him 100K per year for the rest of his life. Since he has been in prison for 44 years and does not have experience managing money, giving him all the money in a lump sum might not be a good thing.
Excellent idea- then continue the payments to his heirs regardless of their age. The state messed up, the tax payers lose- every time.

That is 44 years in prison! I would hope the jury was on the up and up.

I just thought of two other ways that the guy could be compensated. He doesn't have to worry about paying taxes for the remainder of his life and he could be given clearance on ignoring certain laws as well granted they are not too major if you get where it is that I am going with that. :) :) :)

Holly

Forum List

Back